Rafael Furcal in A's '09 fold?

Moderator: HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Rafael Furcal in A's '09 fold? 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:00 am

I've read that the A's might be interested in free-agent shortstop Rafael Furcal. What does that say about the team's faith in Bobby Crosby, and do you think there's any truth to the Furcal rumor?
-- Jackson K., Alameda, Calif.

First of all, I doubt if it's a rumor. The A's -- and many, many other teams -- would love to have Furcal, who is a dynamic offensive presence at the top of the order and a very good defensive player.

But I don't think Oakland will be able to meet Furcal's contract needs. I hear his agent is looking for a five-year deal (or longer), and Furcal made more than $15 million this past season. I'm thinking that's way too big of a commitment for the A's to make to a 31-year-old coming off an injury shortened season.

What does the situation say about Crosby? I think that's pretty obvious. Crosby is entering the last year of his contract, and if he doesn't get traded and doesn't put up much better offensive numbers next year, it's pretty clear that 2009 will be his last in Oakland.

Link

Other notable things:

Jason Giambi? Come on. Please tell me this is a bunch of bunk.
-- Cecil N., El Cerritos, Calif.

It's not, but trust me when I say that Giambi is not a priority for the A's right now. Is there a chance he'll return? Yes. But if he does, it'll only be after Beane has made some bigger moves. Giambi would be a late-winter addition, if at all.

Why don't the A's just give up on Eric Chavez as a third baseman and make him a first baseman or a DH? Enough is enough. Beane is letting his buddy-buddy relationship with Chavvy cloud his thinking.
-- June F., Mexico City

I disagree. If there's even the slightest chance that Chavez can get back to his pre-2006 form, and there is, the A's would be knuckleheads to give up on the idea of him as their third baseman. He's a six-time Gold Glover, he's only going to be 31 next season, and his rehab has been going well. I understand why you might think Beane is too attached to Chavez, but one of Beane's greatest strengths is his ability to detach and make well-informed business decisions.

The A's have paid Chavez a lot of money, and they haven't gotten as much bang for the buck as they'd hoped for. If Chavez is healthy and playing Gold Glove defense at the hot corner, they'll be getting a lot more value out of him than they would were he a first baseman or DH. Strictly business.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: Rafael Furcal in A's '09 fold? 

Post#2 » by HMFFL » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:30 pm

Furcal could sign four-year deal soon

A's, Mets rumored to be among four teams vying for shortstop

The agent representing free-agent shortstop Rafael Furcal said a report claiming his client had received a $48 million contract offer from the Oakland Athletics was incorrect but did confirm Furcal has been offered a four-year deal from an unspecified team, while Furcal stated that he could sign a new deal as early as Monday.

El Caribe reported that Furcal was offered a four-year, $48 million contract by the Oakland Athletics, but agent Paul Kinzer told The Los Angeles Times "The numbers aren't right."

The agent confirmed to the newspaper he's received a four-year offer for his client, but declined to identify which team extended the offer. As for Oakland, Kinzer told the Times "they're very interested."

El Caribe also reported that the New York Mets made an offer to Furcal and wanted him as a second baseman, but Kinzer said that was untrue. Kinzer said Furcal has received offers from four teams.

Furcal told El Caribe that he would return from the Dominican Republic to the United States on Monday to sign a contract.

"The offers made by the Athletics and the Mets of New York are tempting, but we'll make a decision after I meet with my lawyer because there are various factors that we have to evaluate," Furcal was quoted in El Caribe. "But my general feeling is that every offer that's been made is important, which is why we want to make a decision that's well thought out."

Link
TSC25
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#3 » by TSC25 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:40 am

Looks like we might have an answer about Furcal on monday or tuesday.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#4 » by HMFFL » Sat Dec 6, 2008 2:05 pm

Rafael Furcal rejected a four year offer from us which was the amount of years he's seeking, but not enough money, so I doubt Rafael plans on signing with us, unless we pay him 10 million per year.

Return to Oakland Athletics