ImageImageImageImageImage

Free Agents left to build around

Moderator: HMFFL

TSC25
Veteran
And1: 0

Free Agents left to build around 

Post#1 » by TSC25 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:43 pm

I get the feeling Randy Johnson doesnt want to be in Oakland,and I still would like to add a vet to our pitching staff so maybe someone like Andy Pettitte would be a great pick up,thou I doubt he'd want to play on the west coast,but might just be someone we'd need to help our younger guys,heres a few others that might be worth the chance,now what do you guys think?

1.Kenny Rogers,always pitches well in Oakland,but not sure if he's a good fit for the younger pitchers!

2.John Smoltz would be a nice fit,but at this time I dont see us as being a world series contender and I think he would only come to Oakland if we was a contender!

3.Ben Sheets if healthy could be a steal,like the ones Billy always seems to find,maybe he'd come to Oakland on a one year deal,prove himself as being healthy and getting a bigger and longer contract next year from someone else!

4.Mark Mulder maybe a return to Oakland will turn his career back around like before the injuries.

5.Livan Hernandez would help save the bullpen,by pitching alot of innings.But Im just not sure if he has anything left!

As for our offence,maybe we just need for a healthy season from Chavez,and Daric and Travis to return to form and we'll be fine with the addition of Matt Holliday! But a true leadoff hitter would be nice.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Re: Free Agents left to build around 

Post#2 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 9, 2009 12:53 pm

Options 3, 4 and 5 need to be considered.

Ben Sheets is probably trying to get overpaid or just waiting for Lowe to get off the market so the attention to turn towards him. Ben's has had injuries problems throughout his career and I don't expect him to last a full season.

I'd really like to see Mark Mulder get his career back on track, but he's a high risk, and we probably don't need that right now. Mark would be my last option between the three.

Livan Hernandez is someone that I like, he can eat innings, but he's going to need enough run support to courter with the amount of runs he gives us.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Re: Free Agents left to build around 

Post#3 » by FNQ » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:09 am

I'd overpay Sheets. Sure he's Harden-esque, but we dont have amazing starting pitching right now, and he can potentially be that. Especially useful in a 7 game series, which is a big reason why I think we werent ever successful in the playoffs. Just didnt have star power... we had depth, and very solid players across the board, but no real WOW factor. Sheets has that (so does Holiday, btw)...

Mulder has shown nothing since coming back from surgery... I'd rather not. Livan either, yes he eats innings, but our bullpen is pretty damn good and OK with long relievers like Andrew Brown and short innings guys like Casilla and Devine...

Here are some names I'm very interested in still:

Oliver Perez, SP
Randy Wolf, SP
Paul Byrd, SP
Eric Gagne, RP
Mark Kotsay, CF (can't get that injured as a reserve, right?)

As for SS... I dont know if I want Cabrera. I'd rather just sit tight with Crosby/Pennington and see if we can get someone via trade...

Return to Oakland Athletics