ImageImage

Pirates Get Matt Morris

Boston's Future
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Pirates Get Matt Morris 

Post#1 » by Boston's Future » Wed Aug 1, 2007 3:56 am

LOS ANGELES -- Trade rumors involving Matt Morris came to fruition Tuesday as the San Francisco Giants dealt the right-hander to the Pittsburgh Pirates for outfielder Rajai Davis and a player to be named.
Morris, 32, was 7-7 with a 4.35 ERA. Giants general manager Brian Sabean said that Pittsburgh will pick up the remainder of his salary. Morris is in the second year of a three-year contract that pays him $9.5 million both this year and next season. The deal includes a $9 million club option for 2009 with a $1 million buyout.

Russ Ortiz and Pat Misch are the leading candidates to replace Morris in the starting rotation.

Davis, 26, was ranked as Pittsburgh's 27th-best prospect entering this season by Baseball America. The 5-foot-11, 195-pounder was hitting .271 (13-for-48) with two doubles, two RBIs and five stolen bases in 24 games for the Pirates.

Pittsburgh recalled Davis from Triple-A Indianapolis on June 5, and he has made 12 starts in center field for the Pirates. The University of Connecticut at Avery Point product posted a .409 average (9-for-22) with two runs, two doubles and two stolen bases in his final 13 contests in a Pirates uniform.

Originally Pittsburgh's 38th-round selection in the 2001 First-Year Player Draft, Davis has stolen more than 40 bases in each of his last four full Minor League campaigns. The Norwich, Conn., native paced the Carolina League with 57 thefts for Class A Lynchburg in 2004, while sharing the Double-A Eastern League stolen-base title in 2005 with 43 for Altoona.

Prior to his recall to the Pirates this season, he hit .318 with 31 runs, 12 doubles, four triples, four home runs and 30 RBIs in 53 games for Indianapolis. Davis finished his Triple-A stint with a 21-game hitting streak.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#2 » by mizzoupacers » Wed Aug 1, 2007 8:31 pm

Que pasa, Pirates?

The Cardinals announcers last night said the Pirates wanted Morris as a mentor for their young starting pitching corps. But damn, Morris isn't cheap, and he jumped the shark about three or four seasons ago. Pirates fans, what do you think?

Apparently, the Cardinals had interest in him too. I know we are desperate for starting pitching right now, but personally, I'm glad we lost out on the "Morris sweepstakes." I don't think he can hold up for a full season any more.
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#3 » by timd1218 » Wed Aug 1, 2007 9:27 pm

mizzoupacers wrote:Que pasa, Pirates?

The Cardinals announcers last night said the Pirates wanted Morris as a mentor for their young starting pitching corps. But damn, Morris isn't cheap, and he jumped the shark about three or four seasons ago. Pirates fans, what do you think?

Apparently, the Cardinals had interest in him too. I know we are desperate for starting pitching right now, but personally, I'm glad we lost out on the "Morris sweepstakes." I don't think he can hold up for a full season any more.

I'm the only Pirate fan here. Here is my take. This is by far the worst move ever by Littlefield. The guy is a complete moron. He should be fired. He has screwed this organization.

Matt Morris is going to make 10 million a season next year. He is no longer a good pitcher. Littlefield passed on Andrew Miller a few season ago. He passed on Matt Wieters this season. And for each time, his excuse was "He can't afford these players." But they are able to afford Matt freaking Morris.

This organization is a joke and it will remain this way until MLB forces Nutting to sell the team to people who actually care about winning ala Mark Cuban. This franchise has too much great history for this garbage to be happening now.

It another thing that PO's me about the Pirates, are the fans. The continue to come to games and throw their money to Nutting, but continue to complain. If they don't like the performance, stop going to games. They all want their stupid bobbleheads. I have yet to go to one game this season and I don't plan on going to one either. I only went to one last season. I refuse to give that POS Nutting my money.
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#4 » by mizzoupacers » Wed Aug 1, 2007 9:57 pm

Sorry to hear that. I wondered if maybe there was a good reason I didn't know about, being unfamiliar with the Pirates.

BTW, I really like Matt Morris--he was pretty good in his day and gave Cardinals fans everything they could ask for in terms of effort and competitiveness. But he just doesn't have it any more. If you need a glorified pitching coach, you shouldn't have to pay $10 million for one.

Only Pirates fan around here? Come visit the Cardinals board if you get too lonely. We don't have that many posters either, since realgm is primarily a basketball board and St. Louis doesn't have a basketball team. But our small core of regulars is always glad to hear from courteous fans of other teams.

Return to Pittsburgh Pirates