Edmonds?

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,773

Edmonds? 

Post#1 » by Snakebites » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:22 pm

Awaiting league approval is a deal in which we get Jim Edmonds and about a mill for a 3B prospect.

Well, if we werent sure Towers was getting desperate before, we sure are now. Yet another role of the dice to see if an aging, injured player can play a difficult position for us (see Piazza). I suppose that worked out okay for a year, but I dont see similar results with this. Edmonds has struggled for a couple years. Cant expect much bat-wise from him and his fielding was a little worse than Cameron's last year I think.

Oh well. I think its only a matter of time before we seriously pursue Prior as well. Thats another Towers-like move.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#2 » by Basketball Jesus » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:32 pm

Eh, at this price and given that bringing in Cameron would be a bit silly at his asking price, I like this deal. The Padres didn't give up much and Edmonds is still a somewhat OK bat and good glove in the field.

I heard somewhere that Towers is going to try Antonelli in center. If that's true, this deal makes even more sense as Edmonds provides insurance in case that particular experiment doesn't work out.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,773

Post#3 » by Snakebites » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:48 am

^Youre right about the financial aspect of the deal for sure.

Cameron's asking price, particularly given the chunk of games he'll be missing, would be absurd. Still, from a game perspective, it seems like at best a lateral move.

Id like to see the team get better for once, I guess. We've had the same season a few years in a row now, and where other teams fall has determined whether we make the playoffs or not.

Oh well. At least we arent getting worse.

Return to San Diego Padres