ImageImageImageImageImage

Molina...Yes or No?

opzoneworld
Junior
And1: 0

Molina...Yes or No? 

Post#1 » by opzoneworld » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:04 pm

Sandoval has put up Bowker-like numbers in AA-Con so far after dominating High A-SJ all of last season and the first half of this season. With the trade deadline of July 31st nearly here...

Would you trade Molina now while his stock is at its highest point paving the way for Sandoval to take over catching duties next season?

Or do you wait until the off-season and hope Molina still has said value and trade him then?

Or do you simply keep Molina until his contract runs out and see what happens with Posey and Sandoval?

I would attempt to trade Molina for a bat. With Molina the Giants are not making the playoffs. They have enough catchers in AAA to hold them over for the rest of the season so that Sandoval can finish up in AA-Con. Then next year the Giants almost have to give Sandoval the starting catcher spot the way he has hit this season while handling the pitching staffs in High A-SJ and AA-Con. Maybe something like Molina + Misch for a young 3b?

Disclaimer: Sandoval has been in AA-Con for an extremely short period of time, I understand that.
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 310

Re: Molina...Yes or No? 

Post#2 » by GswStorm3 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:48 am

I'd trade Molina in the offseason, not right now.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#3 » by Hopper15 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:06 pm

They need to get something of more value than a sandwich pick, which they'd likely get when Molina bails for free agency. Otherwise, no. Sandoval is a future DH.
RayStats34
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#4 » by RayStats34 » Fri Aug 1, 2008 5:05 am

Night Angel 1 wrote:I'd trade Molina in the offseason, not right now.

I would too are offense would be unwatchable if we traded him now
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#5 » by old rem » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Hopper15 wrote:They need to get something of more value than a sandwich pick, which they'd likely get when Molina bails for free agency. Otherwise, no. Sandoval is a future DH.

A sandwich pick ain't bad if you pick smart, that's still the top tier of a 30 rd draft. Molina has been solid and a clutch bat on a team that's hurting for hitting. While Sandoval has been hot, he's probably not a rising star,and he's more multi-role than a great C.

The Giants have a funny habit of overspending on medium grade FA's and missing the guys who can make an impact. Meanwhile this is the first year in a decade where the Giants did a decent job of turning farm system prospects into big league talent. There seems a tendency to miss out on getting the impact guy. Ariz got Adam Dunn dirt cheap. With Dunn the Giants would have some power in the lineup.
CENSORED... No comment.
TheLowlySquire
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,345

Post#6 » by TheLowlySquire » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:06 am

have you seen dunn play right field at AT&T Park? He won't be a Giant. and sandoval will be a star, better than molina is right now.

Return to San Francisco Giants