ImageImageImageImageImage

Bonds, is he All-Star team worthy

backer55
Senior
And1: 1

Bonds, is he All-Star team worthy 

Post#1 » by backer55 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:36 am

I like him just fine, Thank You. Against most expert opinions, Barry Bonds is tearing through some pretty fair pitching. Seems many so called experts predicted that Barry was all washed up, near ready for the old folks home. Some said that no one had ever done it before so why would we think Barry Bonds can do it now.

In case you guys haven't read the stats sheets lately, Bonds has a .362 batting avg., a 519 OBP, a 828 slugging%, and a staggering MLB best [yes, even better than A-Rod's] 1347 OPS. Not bad for a guy supposed to be needing a handicap sign on his dashboard.

If you can tell or not, i'm new and i'm a little bitter. Lot's of trash talk out there. Barry has helped the Giants win for many years and i've been there to listen and watch. Simply the very best baseball player i've ever seen. Now, i'd like to see the experts eat a plate of crow.

If your answer is Yes, he's worthy. Do you think he will be voted in? A managers choise/pick? or, left off the team altogether?
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#2 » by Bleeding Green » Tue May 1, 2007 10:34 pm

Yes, he's the best player in baseball right now. I don't think the fans will vote him in because they aren't in the business of voting in good players. He'll be a reserve, though.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
opzoneworld
Junior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by opzoneworld » Tue May 1, 2007 11:32 pm

It has only been a month but so far I would have to say he is deserving for sure. Fans will not vote him in. He wont start. The game being in SF may also help. You could say he has been better than expected so far.

As much as it pains me to say this, all I hope for is that he breaks the record before the deadline because that gives us a lot of options.
backer55
Senior

Post#4 » by backer55 » Wed May 2, 2007 12:27 am

B.Green, I agree that he's the best out there, now and over all, since he joined the Giants. Also good point on the way fans vote. Just seems unfair that with the numbers he's putting up, and at his age, people wouldn't put their bias aside and give him the credit he's earned.

opzoneworld, Thanks for dropping in! honestly, i figured him to be doing what he has. After the second part of last season and the reports on his winter workouts, i've followed Bonds with way higher expectations than most. The dude rips...everybody!

Are you suggesting trading him before the deadline? interesting concept, might work out well both ways but i'm a way hard Bonds and Giants fan, to me they go together. Don't they?
opzoneworld
Junior
And1: 0

Post#5 » by opzoneworld » Wed May 2, 2007 1:46 am

What I am saying is that baseball is a business and as such one has to look towards the future as much as the here and now. As much as I hate this, it is a fact.

If Bonds breaks the record, the Giants get everything they wanted. Bonds breaks the record in a Giants uni. Then he retires after this season and the Giants move on. But, the big question is who replaces Bonds? The minors really have nobody right now. If the Giants then shop Bonds to an AL team to DH, they could get a 4-star prospect back. Think of a team like Boston going with Ortiz, Manny, Bonds. Wow. Same with the Yankees. There are teams that would pay.

For Bonds, he gets exactly what he wants as well. He gets to break the record in a Giants uni. Also, he can go DH for a team that has a title shot and gets a chance to get his long sought after WS ring.

This would be a win-win for both sides. Yes, I would hate to see Bonds with anyone else as I am a major fan of his. But I am a bigger Giants fan and if trading Bonds instead of letting him walk can get us a player that can get us our own WS win then I pull the trigger. It's a business.
backer55
Senior

Post#6 » by backer55 » Wed May 2, 2007 2:18 am

As much as this idea goes against my grain, gotta say you make a very good point. Thanks!, No doubt, food for thought.

I think my problem is that after the way Williams, Clark, and many others have been treated by the Giants "powers that be", i find myself being more loyal to the players [bonds] than the actual team.

a 4-star prospect does sound good though, especially if he happens to play 3rd base.
FaTaL
Veteran
And1: 11

Post#7 » by FaTaL » Wed May 2, 2007 4:51 am

well he is the best player in the nl right now, i don know what arod has been doing lately though.
backer55
Senior

Post#8 » by backer55 » Thu May 3, 2007 12:53 am

Ok, one thing to consider is what competition is out there. The present opponet Colorado Rockies are blessed with two absolutly fantastic hitters. One being the great renouned slugger and first baseman, Todd Helton. The other happens to play left field, is a young man playing for peanuts, is leading his team in most offensive catagories, and hitting the hide off the ball, Matt Holliday. Both guys are hitting over .390, ah, pretty good!

So here we have Matt, a relitive kid no doubt on the brink of greatness, and Bonds, a grizzled all-timer both having super seasons. The kid or the vet? If i was building a team there would be no doubt who i'd choose. But this is the All Star game and one of, if not the last, Barry's last seasons. Should and will that figure into it?

Return to San Francisco Giants