ImageImageImageImageImage

Zach Greinke

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,135

Zach Greinke 

Post#1 » by wco81 » Sun Jul 5, 2015 2:24 pm

Can opt out of his huge contract after this season and get even a bigger deal.

Probably will command bigger deal than Jon Lester did this past offseason.

Maybe the Giants will bid up the deal to make it as costly as possible for the Dodgers to re-sign him.

Probably best that the Giants didn't sign Lester, who's not exactly setting the NL on fire.

But Greinke, who's 32-33, probably can be dominant for a few more years. Buster Olney compares him to Maddux for the kind of command he has.

Unless he declines rapidly or gets injured, he's likely the Cy Young winner this year.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,557

Re: Zach Greinke 

Post#2 » by El Turco » Mon Jul 6, 2015 5:32 am

he is probably going to ask for mammoth 5+ year contract, pass.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
B-King
Rookie
And1: 203

Post#3 » by B-King » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:32 pm

Giants have a bunch of arms in the minor leagues waiting to come up. I would rather spend the money on another position player.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,182

Post#4 » by Mamba Mentality » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:27 pm

Bum, Cain, Peavy, and Heston will return next season and there's a chance Vogey might as well. Lincecum might be done, and Hudson will presumably retire. While Greinke would be a great fit in our rotation, he's not worth the price tag. We don't need another ace, a guy from the minors or a much cheaper signing will suffice.
wco81
RealGM

Post#5 » by wco81 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:22 pm

http://baseball.realgm.com/wiretap/43176/Could-Giants-Go-After-Zack-Greinke-In-Free-Agency

I guess if he's going to opt out of $71 million over 3 years remaining, he'd want something like $30 million a year.

Hell would even the Dodgers pay that much, given they're already paying Kershaw?

No I wouldn't want the Giants to pay that much. But what are they going to do with the $50 million in salaries coming off the books?

What was the most they offered Lester? Appears Lester isn't earning the money the Cubs gave him.
wco81
RealGM

Post#6 » by wco81 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:43 pm

The way he's continued to pitch, Dodgers won't let him go, except maybe balk at giving him too many years.

Biggest payroll ever but underachieving given probably the two leading candidates for the NL Cy Young (and maybe MVP for Kershaw again), the Dodgers either have to win their division or catch up in the wild card.

So the assumption is that they won't make noise in the playoffs.

As a Giants fan though, I have an uneasy feeling that in any short series, their 1-2 combo is going to be almost unbeatable.

Yes I know they've never done it in the playoffs but it's inconceivable that the way they've been picking all season will disappear in the playoffs. Especially some of the generous strike zones they're getting, somewhat reminiscent of Glavine and Maddux in their primes.

Or that one year where the umps lost their minds with what they let Livan Hernandez get away with in the playoffs.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,557

Post#7 » by El Turco » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:02 am

i'll take bum over either of their guys in playoffs. their second starter is obviously better than what we have but if we play them it is lock to be best of 7, so one lesser starter is not insurmountable considering we have the better offense, relief and the coach.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.

Return to San Francisco Giants