ImageImageImageImageImage

First Hand Report: Emmanual Burris

opzoneworld
Junior
And1: 0

First Hand Report: Emmanual Burris 

Post#1 » by opzoneworld » Sun Apr 8, 2007 3:32 pm

I took advantage of now living in Sacramento (from San Jose) and went to the Stockton Port v San Jose Giants game last night to see Burris play. Some thoughts.

* To say that he is fast is the understatement of the century. He makes the bases look 30 feet away, not 90. Every single out he made was a "bang-bang" play even though they had no right being one. Amazing speed!

* He went 2 for 7 in the 13 inning Giants win. He needs to work on bat control. I am going to date myself here but he reminds me of a faster Buttler. He failed to get a bunt down late in the game which I expect a leadoff hitter to be able to do 90% of the time. He also looks like he is swinging too hard. He needs to be able to bunt for hits and learn to slap the ball around and use his speed to beat out infield hits or slap it into gaps. The Giants wont need homers from him. They just need him on base causing havic.

* His D is what you expect. He did not have any errors charged to him but he easily could have had two. He does not look to have a very strong arm. An average arm, not trying to make it sound like his arm is bad at all, but not something that is going to "wow" you. On one play, he got a relay from right field and had a Port player nailed trying to stretch it into a tripple and made a horrible bouncing throwing that got past third. Another play, a grounder that went to his right between third and short. He got there in time, not an easy play by any means, but then dropped the throw. They gave the guy a hit. He may have beat it out anyways but I dont expect Burris to not be able to get a throw off. At least make a play out of it. Both of these runners came around to score. Other that this, solid D. Great range. Clean with the glove. Very accurate with his throws. No double play opps in the game.

* Play of the game and what excited me the most about this kid. Top of 13th, two outs. He lines a basehit into the outfield. First pitch, steals second. Next pitch, steals third! Next pitch, two-out basehit and Giants win. Freaking Amazing!

In conclusion, if he can learn to control his bat a little better, he will be an amazing pro. Hope some of you guys can visit San Jose games and update this throughout the season. :D
ticknyler
Junior

Post#2 » by ticknyler » Mon Apr 9, 2007 7:34 pm

hes a SS right
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#3 » by opzoneworld » Mon Apr 9, 2007 10:50 pm

Yes, he is a SS. One of the reasons the Giants are waiting to see if they are going to resign Omar is to see how Burris does in his first full season of pro ball. If he does well, it should be his job to loose next year in camp.
FaTaL
Veteran
And1: 11

Post#4 » by FaTaL » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:01 am

burris will be a giant but it might be 2 years from now unless he has a monster season at san jose. hes probably a 2nd baseman in the bigs.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,638

Re: First Hand Report: Emmanual Burris 

Post#5 » by Stanford » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:47 pm

Since this topic is on the front page I think it would be nice to note that Manu (ha) got his BA above .300 last night. He's also getting on base at a good clip.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#6 » by Hopper15 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:39 pm

Boston needs Omar.
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#7 » by opzoneworld » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:23 am

I really do not know what more Burriss has to do to get some PT. I love Omar and think he is one of the best to ever play the game but how much longer can you keep Burriss on the bench. Very frustrating.

Return to San Francisco Giants