ImageImageImageImageImage

Vizquel likely coming back

GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 311

Vizquel likely coming back 

Post#1 » by GswStorm3 » Thu Nov 8, 2007 4:08 pm

From rotoworld.com

"Omar Vizquel's soon-to-be-finalized contract with the Giants will be worth $5.5 million and include a vesting option for 2009."

"The option, which becomes guaranteed if he plays in 140 games, is worth $5.2 million. The 40-year-old Vizquel will be getting a raise from the $4 million he made last season even though he was as bad of a hitter as there was in the NL. When the Giants say they don't have the money to pursue Alex Rodriguez, it's because of decisions like this."
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach

Post#2 » by GswStorm3 » Thu Nov 8, 2007 4:10 pm

I truly feel bad for the Giants, Sabean is still making clueless decisions like this. 5 mil for a 40 year old SS that can't hit. At this rate feliz is likely coming back for 6 or 7 mil and the Giants are going to be stuck with another poor hitting in field.
opzoneworld
Junior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by opzoneworld » Fri Nov 9, 2007 12:53 am

What's not quoted here, however, is that the Giants are bringing him back for one more season to give Manny Buriss one more season in the minors (even though he is playing like a stud in the Arizona league). Looking at the market right now, there are no shortstops out there worth anything; or at least anything better than what Manny B could give the team so why spend the money long term.

For this reason, I dont mind the move at all. The Giants need to stay true though and give Manny the job next season.
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by GswStorm3 » Fri Nov 9, 2007 7:09 am

Brian Sabean has no clue, none, that he could buy a AAA shortstop who'll hit .243 in the bigs and "pick it" well at short for a tenth of what he's about to pay Omar Vizquel.

I'm sorry but this is another case of Sabean bidding against himself because no one was going pay Omar 5-6 mil.
opzoneworld
Junior
And1: 0

Post#5 » by opzoneworld » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:40 am

I don't know. I don't see the move as being that bad. I mean look at the Giants. They have nobody, serriously nobody, in AAA or AA that can play SS for this team. Now, I guess you could make a case that Velez could start at SS or even move Frandsen to 3B and put Velez at 2B because of Velez's speed and his ability to put the ball in play he should play. However, there are great defensive questions about him. So much so in fact, even with no infield prospects and a good number of outfields prospects already, the Giants moved Velez to CF last year in AA. All in all, the Giants are renting Omar for one season until their young A-ball tallent is ready. Why sign a player for 3 years when you only need to fill the spot for one? Really no harm in that since they wont be contending anyways.

About Sabes, I don't know how fair you are being with him. I know a lot of people feel Sabes is horrible but he is the same guy, when he did have control, that put together the team that went to the WS. Then his bosses took over the team with their greed. I know, I know, Sabes made the moves that didn't work. To be fair though, he was only doing what he was ordered to by his bosses, as we all do. The Giants had the best player in the decade and they went "all in". They lost the bet but they did the same thing the Bulls did with Jordan and NE is doing with Brady. When you have the games best player, you try to win now. Unlike the NFL and the NBA, it is harder to do that is baseball however as we found out. For one, you cannot trade draft picks. That is a monumental disadvantage for baseball. Secondly, there is no cap so a team like the Giants who have an average payroll at best can only afford so many players. Sabes tried to do the best he could with what he was dealt by the owners; which wasn't much. Now that Sabes has full control again, I'm willing to give him 2-3 years before I start with the name calling. Maybe that is just me though.

Return to San Francisco Giants