ImageImageImageImageImage

Offseason Ideas

ticknyler
Junior
And1: 0

Offseason Ideas 

Post#1 » by ticknyler » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:32 am

Keep our Rotation intact if we can. It can Anchor our Team.
Keep it a long term Plan, Dont screw up the future or sign FA's this year out of desperation. Sign players we want long term and look forward to next years FA if need too.

I say we go after Tejada and try and obtain him without giving up Cain, Lincecum or Lowry. Maybe a Package of Sanchez, Hennessy, and a player to be named later (a solid player).

We then can put Tejada at 3rd.

Sign Andrew Jones for 4 years 50 mil

Sign Dotel at 2 year 6 million

Starters
Davis
Fransden
Tejada
Jones
Winn
Orteimeir
Molina
Vizquel
Pitcher

Bench
Roberts(or Shierholtz)
Lewis
Aurillia
Durham
Alfonzo

Starting Rotation

Cain
Zito
Lincecum
Lowry
Correia

Bullpen
Dotel
Wilson
Walker
Misch
Kline
Taschner/Sadler
Messenger

Basically we will probably loose 100 games, but we will at least learn what we have from our young guys, as well hopefully trade some of our older guys for prospects ala Matt Morris deal last year. (durham, Roberts, Winn, Aurillia, Visquel) We then will be prepared to make a big splash in the up and coming FA Market.

THen i say we go out and sign

Adam Dunn-6 years 100

Rodriguez F,-5 years 75

LF-Davis-350k
3B-Fransden-350k
SS-Tejada-12 Mill
1B-Dunn-16 mill
CF-JOnes-13 mill
RF-Lewis-350k
C - Molina-4 mill
2B-Lopez F- 3 mill

Bench-
Sheirholtz- 350k
Alfonzo-350k
Ortemier-350k
Ishigawa-350k
Velez-Utility

Rotaion-
Cain-4 mill
Zito-16 mill
Lincecum-350k
Lowry-4 mill
Correia-350k

Bullpen
Rodriguez-15 mill
Wilson-350k
Dotel-3 mill
Misch-350k
lefty?-2 mill
Sadler-350kl
Valdez-350k

That puts the payroll at around 95 million

anyways watever, still dont like the team so much and in order for it to excell, the starting pitching and Bullpen will need to be as good as advertised and if it is, the Offense will only need to project in the top Half of the league.

Because it seems easier to find FA pitching that FA big bats, maybe we would be better off Trading Lincecum and players for Miguel Cabrera and Lock him up for 18-20 mill a year. I love lincecum and his game, but a Bat is more rare nowadays and its only not worth is if both Lincecum and Cain can become CY young quality and give us a Jake Peavy/Brandon Webb numbers.
ticknyler
Junior

Post#2 » by ticknyler » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:36 am

F-Lopez is Felipe Lopez who is good for 30 steals a year, other options at 2B could be someone like Mark Ellis. Also keep in mind that is with the payroll only at 95 million.
ticknyler
Junior

Post#3 » by ticknyler » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:46 am

After thinking about it more, i believe it would be wiser for the Giants to Trade LIncecum For Cabrera and sign him to an extension at around 8 years 160 million.

Not trade for Tejada

going into the 2009 season

You then have Cabera, Dunn, and JOnes as ur 3 4 and 5 hitters.

You then still have a solid Rotation in Cain-Zito-Lowry-Sanchez and Correia. If Sanchez and/ or Correia dont pan out, there are plenty or Veteran Arms on the Market. You can either sign 1 great or 2 solid.

They include.
Oliver Perez
Ben Sheets
Claudio Vargas
Mark Prior
CC Sabathia
Derek Lowe
Jon Garland

Our payroll could then potentially get up to 105-110, But be Set For Years as Caberra, Dunn, Jones, Zito, F Rodriguez, Cain, and Zito locked up long term.
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 311

Post#4 » by GswStorm3 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:58 pm

Signing Jones and trading for Tejada would be a lot more realistic if Sabean didn't overpay Zito.
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by GswStorm3 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:59 pm

It's still just mind boggling Sabean gave Zito a number 2 pitcher at best 130 mil.
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#6 » by opzoneworld » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:58 am

It does seem to make sense to trade Lincecum. He pitched very well for a rookie this season but something still scares me about him. I trust Cain against anyone in the league. I dont feel that same way about Lincecum and I don't know that I ever will. Therefore, a Lincecum for Cabs I am ok with.

One pitcher I want the Giants to trade in Sanchez. I do not trust him at all. He seems to have a lot of promise but never can put it together for any length of games. I will be scared if he has a rotation spot next season. That is just me though.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 464

Post#7 » by GS Warriors 1 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:03 pm

The Giants shouldn't do much. A big move will not get them out of last place and I think they know that. 2008 and 2009 will probably be 100 loss seasons but they need to continue to build the depth in the system.

2008 (Not a lineup)
C - Molina
1B - Ortmeier
2B - Durham
SS - Vizquel
3B - Frandsen
LF - Roberts
CF - Davis
RF - Winn

SP: Cain, Lincecum, Zito, Lowry, Correia
RP: Wilson, Sanchez, Walker, Hennessey, Kline, Messenger, Taschner
GS Warriors 1
General Manager

Post#8 » by GS Warriors 1 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:04 pm

The Giants shouldn't do much. A big move will not get them out of last place and I think they know that. 2008 and 2009 will probably be 100 loss seasons but they need to continue to build the depth in the system.

2008 (Not a lineup)
C - Molina
1B - Ortmeier
2B - Durham
SS - Vizquel
3B - Frandsen
LF - Roberts
CF - Davis
RF - Winn

SP: Cain, Lincecum, Zito, Lowry, Correia
RP: Wilson, Sanchez, Walker, Hennessey, Kline, Messenger, Taschner
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#9 » by opzoneworld » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:44 am

I think the Giants will trade Lincecum, Molina, and Sanchez; Frandsen could be a filler in a deal as well. However, that has not happened yet. With what they have now, the lineup should look like this.

c - Molina
1b - Ortmeier
2b - Velez (no way Durham starts and this kid has too much speed not to play next season, proved it in Arizona league.)
ss - Visquel
3b - Frandsen (cant see him starting or maybe even on the team next year but for now the only option)
lf - Shierholtz (no way Roberts starts and Nate has earned a shot)
cf - Davis
rf - Winn

If the Giants make deals I want them to make trades, not sign FA's. FA's only do one thing and that is take away draft picks. Build through the draft (#5 pick in 2008) and follow how Mil and Det have done it.
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by GswStorm3 » Sat Dec 1, 2007 6:31 am

The Draft is 50 rounds. Big deal if your forfeit a sandwich pick to sign a FA.
EJS99
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by EJS99 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 7:49 pm

I think the Giants will make a move for Joe Crede for either Lowry or Sanchez. I think Durham is not guaranteed his spot at second. If Frandsen outplays him, the spot is his.

Lineup:

C: Molina
1B: Ortmeier/Aurilia
2B: Frandsen/Durham
SS: Vizquel
3B: Crede
RF: Winn
CF: Rowand
LF: Roberts
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#12 » by opzoneworld » Sun Feb 3, 2008 4:24 am

But Crede has nearly the exact some numbers as Feliz. Not to mention he is 30 so how does he make us younger? Why trade away a pitcher for someone you already had on your roster and could have resigned without giving anyone up? I know there is a lot of talk of this trade, but if it happens I think it will be a very, very bad move. I will have lost a lot of the faith that perhaps I am blindly giving to the Giants ownership.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager

Post#13 » by GS Warriors 1 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 4:21 am

Its bound to happen.

I don't see them sticking with Aurilia at 3rd.
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#14 » by opzoneworld » Sat Feb 9, 2008 8:45 pm

I would rather have Durham play 2nd and Frandsen play 3rd than to trade for Crede. At least Durham will be gone next year and we can give someone like Velez a chance at 2nd.

Return to San Francisco Giants