ImageImageImageImageImage

BA Top 10 Prospects - Good News Bad News

opzoneworld
Junior
And1: 0

BA Top 10 Prospects - Good News Bad News 

Post#1 » by opzoneworld » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:32 pm

Baseball American released their Top 10 prospects four our Giants today. The good news is that the last two drafts really restocked our system. The bad news however is that so many of our top prospects are three, four, maybe five years away.

1. Angel Villalona, 3B (very, very young)
2. Tim Alderson, RHP (very young)
3. Madison Bumgarner, LHP (very young)
4. Nate Schierholtz, OF
5. Henry Sosa, RHP
6. Nick Noonan, 2B (very young)
7. Eugenio Velez, 2B
8. Wendell Fairley, OF (very young)
9. John Bowker, OF
10. Emmanuel Burriss, SS

Only two, Schierholtz and Velez, could contribute in 2008. Both should start if it were my call. Burriss and Bowker should be ready for 2009. Everyone else is I would expect to see in 2011. I think this is a fairly good Top 10 and as the very young players mature, many could be amoung the Top 100 is baseball.

The two names to keep an eye on for 2008 in my opinion at least are Burriss and Bowker. I strongly believe Burriss will be a Jose Reyes type of player. I love this kids upside. The SS spot will be his for the taking in 2009 as Visquel will be gone. You could argue that Bowker had the best minor league season of all Giants propects. He was among the organizational leaders in HR, RBI, R, and BA. He did all this in a heavy pitcher friendly league in AA. Was it a lucky year or can he produce those numbers again in AAA? Does he make an attractive trade piece for a player that can help in 2008?

Thoughts...?
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,638

Post#2 » by Stanford » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:44 pm

I don't think that bad news is bad news at all. Let's say we get things together in 2-3 and are ready to contend. We'll have prospects that we can either plug into the roster, or use in a trade to fill gaps in the lineup.

Suprised to see Alderson above Bumgarner, as we took Madison first. I'm not going to lie and say I know them well, or at all, though.
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#3 » by opzoneworld » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:14 am

Just a guess but I am betting Alderson is higher only because he signed early and actually pitched last season. Both Bumgarner and Fairley did not sign until the end and thus have not made their "professional debut" yet. Again, just a guess.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#4 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:28 am

I'm still holding onto the belief that Villalona will last longer at 1B. His defense is pretty good but I think the Giants will find someone who can do it better.

He's still, of course, a very rare talent that deserves the top prospect label.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#5 » by opzoneworld » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:42 am

PhilipNelsonFan wrote:Villalona is still, of course, a very rare talent that deserves the top prospect label.

Yep! :bowdown:
FaTaL
Veteran
And1: 11

Post#6 » by FaTaL » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:28 am

opzoneworld wrote:Just a guess but I am betting Alderson is higher only because he signed early and actually pitched last season. Both Bumgarner and Fairley did not sign until the end and thus have not made their "professional debut" yet. Again, just a guess.

alderson is number 2 because he was 17 years old and dominated soon after he signed in the minors. realistically this guy can be in the bigs within 2 years. a guy like bumgarner is extremely raw, i dont think he'll go through the minors very quickly, he still needs to get a feel for a breaking pitch because he didnt start throwing one until this year.
EJS99
Pro Prospect

Post#7 » by EJS99 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:57 pm

All the best prospects are in the lower levels. It'll take a couple of years before Villalona, Noonan, Burgarner, Sosa, Alderson, Fairley, and Burris pan out. At best, Giants may reap the benefits by maybe 2010. That leaves Schierholtz, Velez, and Bowker being the closest to being ready.

Both Roberts and Winn are signed through 2009. Unless either is moved, I don't expect Schierholtz or Bowker to get a fair shot anytime soon.

Velez may come up sooner than the other two with it being the last year of both Durham and Aurilia. Velez should become a good asset especially with his speed.
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#8 » by opzoneworld » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:09 am

I disagree with you on Burriss. I think he will be ready next year. It will be his 3rd professional season and that should be more than enough time for him. The Giants said as much when they brought Visquel back for one more season; they did so because they wanted to give Burriss one more minor league season under his belt. If he does not assume the starting SS by next season, it will be a major slight on the Giants organization for not getting him ready.

Burris will be the next Jose Reyes and it starts in 2009.

I still want Velez to start in 2008 and I think he will at least get a shot in spring training.
EJS99
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by EJS99 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:38 am

Burris has to prove that he can succeed in High A first. He struggled last year and was demoted. Plus, he has a couple of levels to go before you annoint him as the starting SS for the Giants. The only reason Omar is back because they don't have anyone better.

Velez will not start unless they move one of the veterans. If he does make the club, it will be a utility role.
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#10 » by opzoneworld » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:35 am

Burriss did hit a wall in San Jose last year; however, he did great in Augusta and did even better in the Arizona Fall League with some of todays best overall prospects. The Arizona Fall League proved a lot for me. I believe he will be in AA by seasons end and it is not uncommon to go from AA to the big club.

To have Burriss at SS and Velez at 2B batting one, two in the order would be very fun to watch. They could combine for 150 steals.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 464

Post#11 » by GS Warriors 1 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:47 am

I think Villalona and Alderson are the premiere prospects here. They could move up quickly. After Bumgarner, a lot of those spots are interchangable imo. I'd probably have Fairley and Burriss higher than Velez. I like what I hear about Fairley. Put me in that 'Burriss won't be ready by 2009' crowd.
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#12 » by opzoneworld » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:28 am

Out of all in the Top 10, Fairley scares me the most. They are saying the exact same things about him that they said about Fred Lewis and Lewis has not turned into anything special at all.

5-star potential...
Late bloomer because of football...

Remember when Lewis could have been the next Griffey? I just hope in this case history doesn't repeat itself.

Overall, I think we have a decent Top 10.
EJS99
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by EJS99 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:56 pm

That's just hyperbole. Let the kid play first before you throw him under the bus. Fact is there is interest in him for trades as a complementary player. I think if the Giants do make a trade for either a first or third baseman, Lewis will be part of the package.
TSC25
Veteran

Post#14 » by TSC25 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:26 am

Angel Villalona, 3b Born: Aug. 13, 1990
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 311

Post#15 » by GswStorm3 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:24 pm

Villalona is receiving way too much hype way too soon.
EJS99
Pro Prospect

Post#16 » by EJS99 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:15 am

I think everyone's expectations are way too high that he'll never live up to it. I'm personally excited that the Giants will able to pull a coup of getting him. They need to find another young big bat (Justin Smoak?) and the Giants are back in business in the future.

Now they need to properly evaluate the young players currently on the with the team. Frandsen, Ortmeier, Lewis, and Davis. Let them play.
TSC25
Veteran

Post#17 » by TSC25 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:45 am

Emmanuel Burriss, ss Born: Jan. 17, 1985
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#18 » by opzoneworld » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:48 pm

No secret I am very high on Burriss. If this is true (that the Giants plan to start him in San Jose) I am very shocked. I think after his -great- numbers in Arizona Fall League he should be up AA Con to start the season and that should put him on course to start at SS in 2009, not 2010. I understand taking it slow with a player but sometimes, you just have to light a fire under their butt. I hope after spring training they change their mind about this.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#19 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:58 am

In my limited experiences with the Giants' system, their philosophy on development is slow and methodical. So Burriss starting at San Jose shouldn't come as much of a shock.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#20 » by opzoneworld » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:36 pm

Perhaps, but I also don't believe they have had someone of his talent in their system for a long time. When you have a kid who can play, you play him. It shouldn't matter what his age is or what the exp level is. You produce, you play.

Return to San Francisco Giants