Rumors..

Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#21 » by Basketball Jesus » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:18 pm

PhilipNelsonFan wrote:LOL at the mention of Kalian Sams; he did really poorly in Everett this year and I barely saw him as much of a project.

He had an IsoP of .189 and a wOBA of .310 at Everett, second only to wunderkind Halman* in both stats. He's 21, which is average age for that level, but it's only his first full year playing stateside. He's a rangy athletic type with a good, projectable body.

*hippe, Halman may have struggled at high-A but he's still only 20 and tore up Everett. Everybody has been raving about the progress he's made at the plate this season. Have faith: he may be a top-10 prospect on this team next season.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#22 » by Sweezo » Mon Oct 1, 2007 6:47 am

hippie wrote:
P - There is some front-line talent here, but most of those players are at least a few years away: Tillman, Butler, Aumont. The system has recently sent some good second-tier bullpen prospects, and one potential front-line starting prospect (Morrow), to the majors. There are some more secondary prospects in the pipeline who are probably ready for the Show now or will be very soon: Kameron Mickolio, Justin Thomas, Travis Chick, Andy Barb, Andrew Baldwin, Robert Rorbaugh. Of course, what we'd like most is top-tier starters who are close to the majors, and that's what we lack, unless you put Morrow in that category.

Hopefully Bavasi realizes that one of the strengths of this year's team was it's bullpen...which was largely built through the farm system and role players cast away from other farm systems. Does he realize what's worked and see which of the AAA/AA pitchers will be able to contribute to the pen during spring training next year, or does he spend a few million on another needless gamble like Reitsma? Or perhaps go grab another cheap vet castoff like Rick White who will needlessly **** us over?

I don't see any likely top tier starters, but are there at least some pitchers in the system, or options in the pen that could be stretched out to at least provide an upgrade over Weaver and Ramirez? I mean, honestly, how many wins do you add to the year if you replaced those two with league average pitching? Enough to get into the postseason this year?
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#23 » by Ex-hippie » Mon Oct 1, 2007 3:21 pm

Sweezo wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Does he realize what's worked and see which of the AAA/AA pitchers will be able to contribute to the pen during spring training next year, or does he spend a few million on another needless gamble like Reitsma? Or perhaps go grab another cheap vet castoff like Rick White who will needlessly **** us over?

Exactly right.

Relievers who made positive contributions to the team this year: Putz, Sherrill, Green, Morrow, O'Flaherty, Rowland-Smith. All are 100% homegrown, except Green who was acquired as a prospect. All had an ERA+ of at least 100, except O'Flaherty, whose ERA+ was 96 due mainly to fatigue and three bad appearances in September (his ERA+ was 119 at the end of August and 131 at the end of July).

Relievers who ****ed us over: Reitsma, White, Jason Davis, John Parrish, Jake Woods, Julio Mateo. All on the roster because management thinks it's important to load up on Proven Veterans.

If there's a positive, now that the guys on list #1 are themselves Proven Veterans, they'll all stick around? I'll be quite happy if the six players (3 righties and 3 lefties) make up the opening day bullpen next year.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#24 » by BlackMamba » Mon Oct 1, 2007 6:44 pm

yuck, what a sad story.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#25 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Mon Oct 1, 2007 10:26 pm

Found this on USS Mariner. Brilliant.

The day after the announcement, the local writers weigh in.

Larry Stone: Mariners Go for Stability.

Stone writes a straight news story instead of the opinion column, getting some solid quotes from all involved.

Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#26 » by Bulltalk » Tue Oct 2, 2007 3:53 am

So what do we offer for Santana? :lol:
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
b_roy7
Veteran

Post#27 » by b_roy7 » Wed Oct 3, 2007 12:20 am

Bulltalk wrote:So what do we offer for Santana? :lol:
We don't, best chance is to clear up some cap(Sexson), and try and sign him in '09.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#28 » by Bulltalk » Wed Oct 3, 2007 8:57 pm

b_roy7 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

We don't, best chance is to clear up some cap(Sexson), and try and sign him in '09.

What scares me a little about this off-season is the idea that Bavasi will feel the need (perhaps justifiably) to make a big move, a big trade to bolster our starting pitching rotation.

For heavens' sake, we were 14 games over .500 this year, and we gave up more runs than we scored. This all came about with a strong performance out of our bullpen, and a team batting average that, I believe, was second in the league.

Bavasi is aware of this, aware of a possible fallback next year, aware that his job is on the line. On the other hand, I am aware of his record in FAcy and in trade.

Yikes! Betting on Bavasi this off-season has got me worried. :lol:
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
b_roy7
Veteran

Post#29 » by b_roy7 » Wed Oct 3, 2007 11:59 pm

Bulltalk wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

What scares me a little about this off-season is the idea that Bavasi will feel the need (perhaps justifiably) to make a big move, a big trade to bolster our starting pitching rotation.

For heavens' sake, we were 14 games over .500 this year, and we gave up more runs than we scored. This all came about with a strong performance out of our bullpen, and a team batting average that, I believe, was second in the league.

Bavasi is aware of this, aware of a possible fallback next year, aware that his job is on the line. On the other hand, I am aware of his record in FAcy and in trade.

Yikes! Betting on Bavasi this off-season has got me worried. :lol:

We have no consistent HR hitter..not to mention the sucky pitching staff doesn't help...The M's bullpen was probably one of the tops in the league, they just faltered in the stretch run.
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#30 » by Ex-hippie » Thu Oct 4, 2007 2:34 pm

Bulltalk wrote:What scares me a little about this off-season is the idea that Bavasi will feel the need (perhaps justifiably) to make a big move, a big trade to bolster our starting pitching rotation.

I'm all for a big move. Problem is, his idea of a big move is to pay megabucks for Jarrod Washburn, Miguel Batista or Jeff Weaver, or to trade top talent for Horacio Ramirez or Jose Vidro.

My guess? Bavasi thinks that whole "Pythagorean" thing is for pencil-neck stat geeks, and he also thinks he did a good job in assembling this team.

:noway:

Return to Seattle Mariners