Are the Mariners crazy

bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Are the Mariners crazy 

Post#1 » by bigboy1234 » Fri Jul 6, 2007 10:40 am

when it comes to there prospects?

After the 17 year old Carlos Triunful started the season in Low A, he then hurt his hand, then a few days ago he started back out in the AZL, now the Mariners have put the 17 year old Triunfel in High A.

19 year old Chris Tillman started in Low A also, after just 33 IP, was promoted to High A, has since been absolutely rocked.

Morrow, who barely played any ball in the minors, has been a reliever for the big league club, and has walked more people than struck out, although having a nice ERA somehow.

19 year old Thomas Johannesen-Ellis is now is AA, and it looks like he was in AAA earlier this year. I personally know nothing about him so I won't comment.

Last year they traded Asdrubal Cabrera for Eduardo Perez, the same Asdrubal that got to AAA at the age of 19 with the Mariners and spent all of 2006 in AAA. Asdrubal is now in AA with the Indians organization and considered a top 50 propsect.

Do you think the Mariners are pushing there prospects too hard?
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2 » by Basketball Jesus » Fri Jul 6, 2007 1:45 pm

Their...

And, yes. But this is nothing new.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#3 » by Sweezo » Fri Jul 6, 2007 5:02 pm

It's Bavasi's organizational philosophy. He believes in putting the better prospects in minor league levels that they essentially aren't ready for in order to force them to get better and see how they deal with adversity. It's a crock of ****, and I hate it. Fontaine does a very good job drafting, and then Bavasi's ideology goes and screws everything up.

The M's clearly do push their prospects too hard. That's long been a gripe of mine.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#4 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Fri Jul 6, 2007 7:48 pm

This implies that the Mariners have significant numbers of "prospects".

But yeah, leave it to our farm system to blow out arms or ruin young careers.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#5 » by Sweezo » Fri Jul 6, 2007 8:21 pm

I think they do have a significant amount of prospects. The organization was devoid of talent when Gillick left, and Fontaine's done a very good job restocking the minors with talent.
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Ex-hippie » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:19 pm

Sweezo wrote:It's Bavasi's organizational philosophy. He believes in putting the better prospects in minor league levels that they essentially aren't ready for in order to force them to get better and see how they deal with adversity. It's a crock of ****, and I hate it. Fontaine does a very good job drafting, and then Bavasi's ideology goes and screws everything up.

The M's clearly do push their prospects too hard. That's long been a gripe of mine.

You're probably right about that. At the same time, though, I wonder just how big a deal it is. They moved Tillman to High-A, he was hit hard in his first game, and USS Mariner basically shrieked that the sky was falling, that Tillman's whole year was down the drain, etc. etc. It didn't seem like anything that would justify that kind of hysteria.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Basketball Jesus » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:02 am

The more important question is why the Mariners would send any pitching prospect to High Desert. That place is a launching pad.

Return to Seattle Mariners