Jose Reyes

bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Jose Reyes 

Post#1 » by bennith13 » Thu May 5, 2011 11:11 pm

On ESPN they were talking about how the Mets should and might be interested in trading Jose Reyes. Do you think the Mariners should be interested?
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Re: Jose Reyes 

Post#2 » by Sweezo » Fri May 6, 2011 12:37 am

Not really. He's talented and still quite young, but while I'd like to have him on the team a high impact SS is a very expensive commodity. I don't think we have the pieces to make it happen.

I believe Reyes is a FA at the end of the year. I am not sure we'd have the financial wherewithal to keep him in Seattle. Or that we necessarily should...the length of contract he would likely require would be staggeringly expensive, and I don't know how likely it would be that he could avoid spending large chunks of time on the DL once we're halfway through that contract. Also, I don't know how good he's going to be over the life of his contract. His offense is good but he relies on speed; his UZR numbers have been steadily dropping over the last few years, and I'm not sure if that's indicitive of a loss of speed/range or something else.

Carl Crawford got a 7 yrs/$142M contract last year. Reyes puts up very similar numbers and he plays a position where offense is often considered a bonus. He's going to break the bank.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by bennith13 » Fri May 6, 2011 6:28 am

Yeah, he is a FA after the year. That probably changes things for me too. I wouldn't pay Jose Reyes Carl Crawford money... I wouldn't play Carl Crawford Carl Crawford money. Honestly, I don't think I would pay Albert Pujols that much at this point.
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#4 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Fri May 6, 2011 12:54 pm

Only way I'm dishing out a long-term, max contract is if we are getting a POWER HITTER in return. Speed is nice, but its fairly easy to find. Gimme a 35-40 homerun guy that hits over 280 and I'd hope our FO would dish out cash. It's not my money; I dont care.

Reyes seems injury prone too.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by bennith13 » Sat May 7, 2011 7:58 am

You should care about how our team uses the money we have available. Not because it is your money, but because you care about winning. Wasting money and using it all on one or two players hand cuffs what we can do... unless we are going to spend more money like we were doing under Bavasi.
TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#6 » by TTown » Tue May 31, 2011 11:40 pm

Instead of making an all-purpose potential trade thread, I think I'm just going to hijack this one.

I've been keeping a loose eye on prospective OF trade prospects. Kosuke Fukudome came across Wiretap this afternoon, apparently the Cubs are considering dealing him. He's not cheap, but he's also in the last year of his deal. If we were to take over the contract, I can't imagine the Cubs would charge an arm and a leg. He'd have to waive a no-trade clause. Us, San Fran, LA, and ATL are listed as prospective traders.

Unfortunately, he's not much of a power threat. But he's hitting .315/.440/.817. A good fit to stick in left? Would you be interested, or would you wait to see what else is available?
ImageImageImageImage

Return to Seattle Mariners