Let's talk Mariners baseball

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Let's talk Mariners baseball 

Post#41 » by Neddy » Mon Dec 1, 2014 2:02 am

interesting development just a week before the GM meeting. a three team trade is brewing as we speak.

Dodgers give Matt Kemp to the Brewers. Dodgers gain Jean Segura the SS and Paxton a lefty SP.

Brewers give Jean Segura to LA, and give Ryan Braun to Seattle, gain Matt kemp

Seattle give Paxton to LA, Brad Miller to Milwaukee. they gain Ryan Braun.

we will become a bit too lefty strong in our rotation but Paxton is a quality pitcher.

Mariners gain that power righty to split Cano and Seager and you keep your Kuma.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#42 » by Neddy » Tue Dec 2, 2014 1:01 am

WHAT
A
HORRIBLE
SIGNING.

Nelson Cruz will turn 35 during next season, and now with a 4 year guaranteed deal he probably will not want to risk his money and get off his PEDs. I fully expect to see the normal Nelson Cruz prior to 2013, and surely not the HR leading 2014 Nelson Cruz.

especially in that spacious SafecoField... will he even hit 20 HRs?
ehhhhh f it.
nuke the whales
Junior
And1: 6

Post#43 » by nuke the whales » Wed Dec 3, 2014 2:56 pm

Still better than Paxton and Miller for Braun.
DavidSterned
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,151

Post#44 » by DavidSterned » Thu Dec 4, 2014 12:45 am

Icky trade.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#45 » by Neddy » Thu Dec 4, 2014 1:39 am

nuke the whales wrote:Still better than Paxton and Miller for Braun.

DavidSterned wrote:Icky trade.

agreed, that proposal by Jim Brewer wasn't very well thought of, but another deal which would send Crawford and Kemp to Seattle for Iwakuma and Charlie Furbush would have immediately improve two struggling OF spots, split the two lefties currently batting in the heart of the lineup, and have a 5 year deal to a younger player.

Mariners are shopping Kuma as is anyhow, they don't seem to think they either can't or won't resign Iwakuma when his deal expires after next season.
ehhhhh f it.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#46 » by Sweezo » Thu Dec 4, 2014 3:34 am

DavidSterned wrote:Icky trade.

Hate to see Saunders go, but it felt inevitable. I'm not really sure what they expect to get out of J.A. Happ but I'm underwhelmed.

Still, I'm curious and leery about the next domino to fall. We currently don't have a RF after all and depth is an issue.

Neddy wrote:
Mariners are shopping Kuma as is anyhow

Where are you getting this from? I think there's basically zero chance Kuma gets traded unless the M's are absolutely blown away by what they are receiving. Kuma's pretty cheap and a clear #2 pitcher. There's no one on this roster capable of replacing him.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#47 » by Neddy » Thu Dec 4, 2014 3:38 am

Sweezo wrote:
Kuma's pretty cheap and a clear #2 pitcher. There's no one on this roster capable of replacing him.

this much is true, but the Mariners seem to be dangling Kuma in every trade talk since his next deal will be astronomical in their eyes, and with the insurgence of your youngsters behind Walker and the gang, trading for Happ also seem like the next step to prepare for the life after Hishashi. Kuma will command close to 20 mil per season when hit the free agency and the Mariners look desperate to get something back rather than let him walk for nothing.
he has been involved in every trade talk for a right handed OF until you guys signed PED user Cruz. now there is still talk about him going to Boston for additional enforcement, even for a rental of Cespedes.

I however feel that he may stick around until the trade deadline.
ehhhhh f it.
b_roy7
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#48 » by b_roy7 » Thu Dec 4, 2014 6:41 am

Braves just signed Markakis while the Dodgers traded for Chris Heisey from Cincy. Could mean something regarding Upton and Kemp, respectively.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#49 » by Neddy » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:26 am

well Kemp is now a Friar. Upton is still up in the air.

but I will say this. Mariners passing on Melky was a good thing. the Mariners do not need two potential PED banned players in their everyday lineup.
ehhhhh f it.
reedmo13
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#50 » by reedmo13 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:49 am

I can't say that I'm thrilled with all of our new players, but at least for the short term I think we have a good shot at the playoff next season. We have signed several "old guys" that will probably blow out a hip in a few years, but here's to hoping they can stay healthy for the upcoming season!!!'
Neddy
RealGM

Post#51 » by Neddy » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:44 am

reedmo13 wrote:I can't say that I'm thrilled with all of our new players, but at least for the short term I think we have a good shot at the playoff next season. We have signed several "old guys" that will probably blow out a hip in a few years, but here's to hoping they can stay healthy for the upcoming season!!!'

hey hey hey! come on all these "old guys" are younger than yours truly here. :-?

but yeah as for the Mariners chances to make the playoffs, i think is pretty damn close. the A's seem to have taken another quick rebuilding path, Rangers are still in need of figuring things out whether last season was a product of series of unfortunate injuries or their team is really not well balanced, and the Angels have some question marks on their rotation... although i can't help but feel responsible for letting them have Andrew Heaney. if Garrett Richards to make it back at some point next season, i would have to say between Jered Weaver/Richards/shoemaker/Wilson/Heaney they might have the most complete 1 through 5 rotation in ALW.
ehhhhh f it.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#52 » by Sweezo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:21 am

Neddy wrote:but yeah as for the Mariners chances to make the playoffs, i think is pretty damn close.

At this point, I think we should be the division favorites.

Against LHP

1. Jackson (CF)
2. Ruggiano (RF)
3. Cano (2B)
4. N. Cruz (DH)
5. Seager (3B)
6. Morrison (1B)
7. Ackley (LF)
8. Miller (SS)
9. Zunino (C)

Against RHP:
1. Jackson (CF)
2. S. Smith (RF)
3. Cano (2B)
4. N. Cruz (DH)
5. Seager (3B)
6. Morrison (1B)
7. Ackley (LF)
8. Miller (SS)
9. Zunino (C)

On the bench, perhaps Jesus Montero [backup DH/1B, hits lefties well], Chris Taylor [Utility IF], Ruggiano/Smith, and Hicks/Sucre [backup C]. That leaves Bloomquist on the chopping block but I don't think he's all that necessary at the moment. If the SP rotation can stay healthy, and the bullpen picks up where it left off last year, we're probably in pretty good shape.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#53 » by Neddy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:02 am

Sweezo wrote:
Neddy wrote:but yeah as for the Mariners chances to make the playoffs, i think is pretty damn close.

At this point, I think we should be the division favorites.

Against LHP

1. Jackson (CF)
2. Ruggiano (RF)
3. Cano (2B)
4. N. Cruz (DH)
5. Seager (3B)
6. Morrison (1B)
7. Ackley (LF)
8. Miller (SS)
9. Zunino (C)

Against RHP:
1. Jackson (CF)
2. S. Smith (RF)
3. Cano (2B)
4. N. Cruz (DH)
5. Seager (3B)
6. Morrison (1B)
7. Ackley (LF)
8. Miller (SS)
9. Zunino (C)

On the bench, perhaps Jesus Montero [backup DH/1B, hits lefties well], Chris Taylor [Utility IF], Ruggiano/Smith, and Hicks/Sucre [backup C]. That leaves Bloomquist on the chopping block but I don't think he's all that necessary at the moment. If the SP rotation can stay healthy, and the bullpen picks up where it left off last year, we're probably in pretty good shape.

mariners have upgraded their lineup for sure, but mariners was also in a pitiful state on offense last season so I don't think an upgrade from there suddenly bolts the mariners as the best lineup in the ALW. I still feel the Angels and healthy Rangers are very formidable. but ALW will come down to pitching and i see a pretty good group up in Seattle. I think it will be close. very close. barring any serious injuries to the rotation, this team can certainly make the wild card or even win the division.
ehhhhh f it.
reedmo13
Ballboy

Post#54 » by reedmo13 » Sat Jan 3, 2015 5:29 am

I agree with Neddy in the fact that we aren't automatically on the top of our division, but we have definitely closed the gap. I'm glad out outfield finally seems strong, but I'm sad to see Mauer go. I am a girl so obviously I hold grudges so I have to admit that I'm still upset with Montero. I understand that he has been working hard to lose weight, get I shape and earn his spot on our roster, but no. I am one who feels that if you have enough talent and are privileged enough to play in the majors then you respect that. You don't get fat and lazy and disgrace your team. Sorry Montero...not really. Soapbox dismounted.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#55 » by Neddy » Sat Jan 3, 2015 8:42 am

reedmo13 wrote:I agree with Neddy in the fact that we aren't automatically on the top of our division, but we have definitely closed the gap. I'm glad out outfield finally seems strong, but I'm sad to see Mauer go. I am a girl so obviously I hold grudges so I have to admit that I'm still upset with Montero. I understand that he has been working hard to lose weight, get I shape and earn his spot on our roster, but no. I am one who feels that if you have enough talent and are privileged enough to play in the majors then you respect that. You don't get fat and lazy and disgrace your team. Sorry Montero...not really. Soapbox dismounted.

Happy Birthday to Edgar.

this one is for you, Girly. :bowdown: always puts a smile on my face to see a female baseball fan posting. you are the unicorn of the realGM. :D
ehhhhh f it.
reedmo13
Ballboy

Post#56 » by reedmo13 » Sun Jan 4, 2015 5:35 am

[/quote] Happy Birthday to Edgar.

this one is for you, Girly. :bowdown: always puts a smile on my face to see a female baseball fan posting. you are the unicorn of the realGM. :D[/quote]

A unicorn...hmmmmmm...I can't think of unicorns without remembering Charlie goes to Candy Mountain (or something like that). I will take it as a compliment though. So I was informed today by a reliable source...most of the time...that if Iwakuma continues to pitch well this season we are not going to be able to afford to keep him in the future unless we lead our division. Now I find this hard to believe. I understand that our payroll is quite substantial at this point and that he will command more money, but he is in the inner circle. Kuma is part of the heart of our rotation and he would be difficult to replace. I think even our stupid management/ownership must see that and will adjust accordingly. Or maybe this is just a pitiful plea on my part. You can rest assured that if Kuma does leave next year, Charlie won't be the only one going to Candy Mountain Jack!!!!!
Neddy
RealGM

Post#57 » by Neddy » Sun Jan 4, 2015 11:16 pm

reedmo13 wrote:
Happy Birthday to Edgar.

this one is for you, Girly. :bowdown: always puts a smile on my face to see a female baseball fan posting. you are the unicorn of the realGM. :D

A unicorn...hmmmmmm...I can't think of unicorns without remembering Charlie goes to Candy Mountain (or something like that). I will take it as a compliment though. So I was informed today by a reliable source...most of the time...that if Iwakuma continues to pitch well this season we are not going to be able to afford to keep him in the future unless we lead our division. Now I find this hard to believe. I understand that our payroll is quite substantial at this point and that he will command more money, but he is in the inner circle. Kuma is part of the heart of our rotation and he would be difficult to replace. I think even our stupid management/ownership must see that and will adjust accordingly. Or maybe this is just a pitiful plea on my part. You can rest assured that if Kuma does leave next year, Charlie won't be the only one going to Candy Mountain Jack!!!!!

actually, your payroll is not substantial. now with new TV contract looming around the corner and Seattle-Tacoma area being one of the better markets in America, and to add that there are only two major sports teams in the area (MLS futbol isn't quite a major sports in this country yet)the mariners' payroll should be much higher. teams like the Brewers, Rockies, Orioles, Cardinals, Reds, whom are all playing in much smaller market have bigger payroll than the Mariners do. in fact, just last season, the Mariners' payroll was about the same as the KC Royals, the team that plays in less than a half the size of the market, with lesser local economy to support a pro franchise... to barely beat the royals payroll by about $50,000 in total, to me at least, is a disgrace.

I do believe the Mariners organization does not invest into their product and thus have been cheating their fan base for a very, very long time. hopefully now with a new ownership of the Nintendo and your new-ish GM, things would start changing a bit.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#58 » by Neddy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:08 pm

talk about kicking the old tires... i read that the Mariners are looking into possibly signing Endy Chavez or Franklin Gutierrez for a spare OFer.

PS- is anyone with mod power ever read this forum, please merge the off season thread with this one please. they are the same topic.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#59 » by Neddy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:50 pm

watched a few mariner spring games... I Know the kid isn't looked at very seriously but I am most impressed with Jordy Lara.

he has a keen eye for the ball, slightly upper cut swing but fast bat speed, nice size, can play 1B/3B/RF and looked comfortable playing RF and judges flyballs fast and takes the correct angle to the ball.

he is 23 still, and hope the mariners doesn't fumble away another Adam Jones / Choo for little in return.

speaking of, is Erik Bedard trade the most lopsided deal ever or what? Tillman is now the O's ace, Adam Jones is their stud CF, George Sherill was good for them until retiring, and Erik Bedard is now at my dodgers' spring training camp as a non-roster invitee.

won't even elaborate Choo for that platoon DH....

hope Lara sticks and works out.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#60 » by Neddy » Mon Mar 7, 2016 12:48 am

I have to tell you all, that Lee is the real deal. this cat might be old, but his approach at the batters box is second to none. a pro's pro.

34 years old, I know. but he is the reigning MVP for the Japan Series, a former MVP of KBO, and when he won the triple crown in KBO, that league was a pitchers league unlike right now. it's incredible that within just a decade, a league that was so pitching dominant can turn around and become the most offensively hyper-active league in all baseball.

anywho... going down to Arizona to see some spring baseball this upcoming weekend. hope ya'll stay engaged with 2016 baseball season.
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Seattle Mariners