M's acquire Jason Davis from Tribe

Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

M's acquire Jason Davis from Tribe 

Post#1 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Mon May 14, 2007 9:55 am

http://www.realgmbaseball.com/src_wiret ... r_bullpen/

Seems like a pretty good acquisition, even if I know absolutely nothing about Davis.

He throws hard and seems to have put up decent numbers last season.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#2 » by BlackMamba » Mon May 14, 2007 1:49 pm

it seems like another arm to have around
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#3 » by Basketball Jesus » Mon May 14, 2007 2:01 pm

Things to like about Davis:

- He
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
NateMustGo
Starter

Post#4 » by NateMustGo » Mon May 14, 2007 2:19 pm

Basketball Jesus wrote:Things to like about Davis:

- He
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#5 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Mon May 14, 2007 6:02 pm

Shrewd signing, although something tells me the PTBNL aspect will bite us in the ass.

It does raise the question of why we didn't just promote an in-house arm, but Sean Green sure as f**king hell wasn't gonna cut it.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Basketball Jesus » Mon May 14, 2007 6:12 pm

Davis is probably better than any potential MLB-ready in-house reliever the Mariners have not named Ryan Feierabend.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#7 » by Ex-hippie » Mon May 14, 2007 10:41 pm

Any guesses how Davis fits into their plans? He used to start and was not awful. Since it's anyone's guess whether Weaver ever makes it back, is Davis one of the contingency plans for the back of the rotation, or at least to be a swingman?
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Basketball Jesus » Tue May 15, 2007 2:43 am

Nah; not at this point. He's liable to walk too many guys if given the starting role.

He'll probably play mop-up on the days the pen needs rest.
LoveThemCavs
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#9 » by LoveThemCavs » Fri May 18, 2007 3:09 am

Hi M's fans,
Best of luck with Jason Davis(or as the players called him JD). I was very high on this guy and I think the Indians were too. He's been tested as a starter, bullpen/setup type and long reliever. His main problems is sometimes he has control issues and lacks the trust in his breaking pitches. This is a low risk/high reward type deal IMO for you. If this guy figures out some way to work in that breaking stuff he could be a steal. The Tribe has some other young players ready for their turn and JD used up all his options. Hopefully the guy works out cause he has some serious stuff fellas. Your team is also ALOT better at fielding than the Tribe. That should help him out as the Indians rely heavily on our offense to get things done. At the worst, you acquired a spot starter or long innings type guy out of the pen.

I don't know your situation in the minors to say if you should have just brought someone else up. It was announced on the Indians official site earlier the PTBNL is 18 year old RHP Gregorio Rosario. Any info you guys can give on this guy? Here is the link.

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/p ... p&c_id=cle
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#10 » by Sweezo » Fri May 18, 2007 4:11 am

Even the most knowledgeable of M's fans seem to know very little about Rosario. According to people who would know on the primary M's blogs, it's likely not a huge loss.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Basketball Jesus » Fri May 18, 2007 12:38 pm

Not a bade trade for either team, then. Davis'll fill an immediate need in the Mariners pen and Rosario's the type of fringe-average pitcher with good upside that you can develop at little cost. But, like everybody else, you have to question whether a guy that spent two seasons in the DSL is destined for anything more than minor league depth.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Sweezo » Fri May 18, 2007 6:53 pm

It's also the type of trade where, if Rosario bucks the odds and amounts to something, every M's fan will say they were against the trade at the time even if they actually weren't.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Basketball Jesus » Fri May 18, 2007 7:23 pm

This is the first time Bavasi has made a deal in which you can unequivocally say that maybe he got the better end of the deal.
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#14 » by Ex-hippie » Fri May 18, 2007 8:57 pm

"unequivocally maybe." Gotta love it.

I liked the Broussard trade as well. Choo is only an okay prospect, probably destined to be a fourth outfielder.

Of course, Bavasi has no idea how to use Broussard -- he doesn't fit the hacker ideal -- so he'll probably trade him to a third team for something less valuable than Choo.

I'd say we should keep dealing with Cleveland, but the AsCab-Perez trade was terrible.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#15 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Sat May 19, 2007 7:12 am

Basketball Jesus wrote:This is the first time Bavasi has made a deal in which you can unequivocally say that maybe he got the better end of the deal.

Code: Select all

Above sentence goes against the logic programmed into conventional wisdom.  Systems overload.  Abort in:  T-30 min.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Basketball Jesus » Mon May 21, 2007 1:11 pm

I like Broussard, but he
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Sweezo » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:36 am

So far, I'm not all that impressed with Mr. Davis...
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:02 am

The guy is just....all over the place. :-?

Return to Seattle Mariners