M's @ White Sox

Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

M's @ White Sox 

Post#1 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:22 am

Damn, this game has been frustrating. Wash was taken out after 6 2/3 innings, allowing 5 runs, but the thing is, he pitched pretty damn well.

And holy hell, Betancourt probably has the worst relay arm in the entire league lol. I swear, he's air-mailed so many throws to the plate. :nonono:

Still have some time left, but our offense has sucked with RISP tonight.
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant

Post#2 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:35 am

Why the hell was Broussard not pinch hitting for Sexon? Damn, our manager sure is a moron sometimes. :banghead:
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#3 » by BlackMamba » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:43 am

batista may have an easy opponent for tomorrow, hope he can keep what he's been doing and get the M's back to the winning record.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#4 » by Sweezo » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:22 am

What a sad, pointless loss. At what point do you realize that your starting pitcher is tired and trust the bullpen that got you to this point? McLaren's a tard.
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:20 am

Wow, Ibanez is just on a TEAR! What does he have? Like 5 homers in his past 5 or 6 games? :o

Oh, and big ups to my boy Yunie on flexing his muscles. Nice to see our offense rebound after last nights horendous showing.

Hopefully Miggy keeps up his strong pitching.
b_roy7
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#6 » by b_roy7 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:05 am

Raul=HOT!

If only we hadn't lost yesterday...Just gotta keep up with the Yankees'...wished Detroit woulda lost again today though.

EDIT: Pray the Twins' win. Izturis is pretty hot himself lately.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Sweezo » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:33 am

I was really hoping Yuni would get that second grand slam later in the game...that would've been sweet.
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:51 pm

Damn, this team is so gangsta! Lol man, our offense has just been so explosive as of late. Sexson and Beltre with some bombs in the past couple innings.

I'm pretty confident Weaver can hold the Sox down, and I'm sure our offense isn't finished. Hopefully we get this win and take the series, because damn, the Yanks never lose.
b_roy7
Veteran

Post#9 » by b_roy7 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:12 pm

Bay_Areas_Finest wrote:Damn, this team is so gangsta! Lol man, our offense has just been so explosive as of late. Sexson and Beltre with some bombs in the past couple innings.

I'm pretty confident Weaver can hold the Sox downand I'm sure our offense isn't finished. Hopefully we get this win and take the series, because damn, the Yanks never lose.
If you consider a 5-hit shutout, "holding the Sox down", then he did so. Best outting for Weaver this season, except maybe for the Pirates.

I had to go and say Ibanez was hot, 0-4 today, K's each time.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#10 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:29 pm

Bay_Areas_Finest wrote:I'm pretty confident Weaver can hold the Sox down

You do realize, had you said that four months ago, the members of this board would have you drawn and quartered.

And yet, 'tis the truth...he's pitching like he would for, well, a playoff team. He must be delusional.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:35 pm

PhilipNelsonFan wrote:You do realize, had you said that four months ago, the members of this board would have you drawn and quartered.

This was me at the end of April in another thread:

Bay wrote:I never understood his signing from the beginning. I logged online one day and see that we signed Jeff Weaver to like 8 mil a year, and I was like "WHOOAA....wait, that Jeff Weaver? WTF?"

He had a few good games in the World Series. He's sucked all other times. What a waste of money.

He wont make another start for a while. I guarantee it.

:rofl: :rofl:

But really, I've been thrilled with the way Jeff has pitched over the past couple months. Its almost as if he's an entirely different pitcher, and I've just about forgiven him for the early struggles. Guy has been so good that he's earned my trust when he's on the mound.

Seriously, our starting rotation is looking pretty good. Felix, Washburn, Batista, AND Weaver all give us a chance to win. If we could sneak into the playoffs, we'd have a pretty solid staff to throw out there.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Sweezo » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:40 am

b_roy7 wrote:I had to go and say Ibanez was hot, 0-4 today, K's each time.

He was facing a left-hander, so it's not shocking. Ibanez has been hitting the ball well but he's not going to start hitting off left-handers anytime soon.

I was also one of the persons asking for Weaver's head. He's been pitching much better as of late, but a five hit shutout in tiny New Comiskey is crazy. What a performance.

Now...what do the M's do in the offseason? Do they reward Weaver with a three year deal they live to regret? Would that be preferable to forcing Bavasi to make a trade for a SP or overspending for some random FA?
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:03 am

If Weaver keeps pitching like he has been over the last few months (even with the occasional rough outing thrown in), I definitely would be in full favor of re-signing him. Not to some crazy 5 or 6 year deal though. Something like you mentioned, 2-3 years would be good. I mean, his turnaround has just been pretty impressive.

Plus, we're in the hunt for a playoff spot, so impressive performances down this stretch definitely deserve some rewarding.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Sweezo » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:39 am

Bay_Areas_Finest wrote:
Plus, we're in the hunt for a playoff spot, so impressive performances down this stretch definitely deserve some rewarding.

I think $8.5 million this season is reward enough. :D I'm not against giving him a fair deal if he finishes the season strong, but I hope they don't give him a boatload of money to reward him for past performance.
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:07 am

You know I meant a reward past this ONE season he was signed for. :lol:

I couldn't see us re-signing Weaver for a whole lot more than he is currently making per season. Although, with that idiot as our GM, anything is possible.

I know I've fallen in love with Batista though. What kind of deal did we sign him to?
b_roy7
Veteran

Post#16 » by b_roy7 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:25 am

Sweezo wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

He was facing a left-hander, so it's not shocking. Ibanez has been hitting the ball well but he's not going to start hitting off left-handers anytime soon.

I was also one of the persons asking for Weaver's head. He's been pitching much better as of late, but a five hit shutout in tiny New Comiskey is crazy. What a performance.

Now...what do the M's do in the offseason? Do they reward Weaver with a three year deal they live to regret? Would that be preferable to forcing Bavasi to make a trade for a SP or overspending for some random FA?
Yeah, that's true, still wish he coulda hit a HR or 2 for fantasy points.. :lol:

I'd give him a 1-2 year deal. Not 8mil like this year. Ramirez is probably not coming back, so we should probably get a solid starter. Any good pitchers on the market?
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#17 » by Basketball Jesus » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:38 pm

Sweezo wrote:Now...what do the M's do in the offseason? Do they reward Weaver with a three year deal they live to regret? Would that be preferable to forcing Bavasi to make a trade for a SP or overspending for some random FA?

I don't think they'll have to do any of these things. If Baek stays healthy, he's a legit back-end starter and Feierabend would be competing for the last spot in the rotation. It's not a pretty rotation but neither is this season's.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#18 » by BlackMamba » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:30 pm

wow... what a game by weaver. i wonder what make him loose it from time to time.

oh! and the M's are tied with the yankees for the wild card and the indians are 1.5 games behind.

anybody knows when the postponed games of the 1st week of the seasons vs. cleveland will be played?
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by Ex-hippie » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:10 pm

I give Weaver a lot of credit for perseverence and for handling adversity, and I admit I was wrong about him in other threads. That said, I don't want the M's to re-sign him. For starters, the cheapie contract isn't gonna happen. He's represented by Scott Boras, meaning he's going to the highest bidder, period. And when Jeff Weaver is being auctioned to the highest bidder, I want no part of that.

In any case, this has been the pattern for most of Weaver's career: generally sucking over the course of the season, but showing just enough to make people believe he could turn it around. I would try to resist the siren song.
b_roy7
Veteran

Post#20 » by b_roy7 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:54 pm

BlackMamba wrote:oh! and the M's are tied with the yankees for the wild card and the indians are 1.5 games behind.

anybody knows when the postponed games of the 1st week of the seasons vs. cleveland will be played?
Don't you mean the Tigers' are 1.5 games behind? Gotta hope NY starts slumping...no game for Angels' today, we can make up 1/2 a game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we make up some of them? I think there's one left..

Return to Seattle Mariners