Why...

Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Why... 

Post#1 » by Sweezo » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:13 am

...does the team keep throwing Rick White's rotting carcass out on the mound? When was the last time he was an effective MLB? And why the **** is he being placed in high leverage situations as opposed the guys that carried the bullpen all season long?

What a stupid belief to use only players who you think are battle tested...use White instead of other RP. Keep Sexson at 1st as Broussard sits and waits. Leave Washburn on the mound to die while fresh arms wait in the pen. Complete garbage. It's going to cost the team a playoff berth, and the reward will be seeing Bavasi and McLaren back again next year making the exact same decisions.
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#2 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:23 pm

Hey, I've gone on record saying McLaren is one of the worst managers in baseball, but our inconsistency does not fall completely on his (and Bavasi's) shoulders. Our players are inexperienced and just dont know how to handle being in a playoff chase.

I agree about White though. He's done NOTHING for us since being acquired, yet he still gets opportunities in big spots. But, its not like anyone else in our bullpen is pitching well, along with our starts. Everything just sucks right now.

I seriously cannot wait for football to start.
b_roy7
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#3 » by b_roy7 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:20 pm

He shoulda thrown a fastball right down the middle. So what, give up a walk-off grand slam, don't give a $H1T. Better than walking the damn run in. You have J.J. he's been sitting there for 6 f**king games, let him shut the Indians down so they have a chance to score again..
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#4 » by Sweezo » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:37 pm

I'd rather let the youth try and fail in a situation they've never been in than trust a washed up old hack who's already tried and failed.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#5 » by wiff » Sat Sep 1, 2007 5:52 am

I can't argue that McLaren hasn't made numerous poor decisions, he has. But hasn't this team bounced back fairly well after a long losing streak? This team is going to bounce back.

At the beginning of the year they lost 6 straight games then bounced back with a win streak of 7 of 8 games.

Next in May they lose 5 out of 6 games then win 6 out of 7

End of June they lose 6 in a row bounce back with winning 10 out of 11 games.

July they lose 6 in a row then win 6 out of 7.

Now the M's just lost 7 in a row how many wins are we in store for?
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#6 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Sat Sep 1, 2007 7:02 am

I'd feel a lot better about the Mariners were there enough time in the season to get a long win streak going. But their window of opportunity is nearly closed.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#7 » by Bulltalk » Sun Sep 2, 2007 6:59 pm

I wrote this in a thread a little over a week ago.

I keep asking myself "when are they going to fold?" 10, 9, 8, 7.....I'm at about -28 now. :lol:

Asked and answered. :lol:
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by Ex-hippie » Tue Sep 4, 2007 9:29 pm

Just an out-of-left-field thought...

How about Bobby Valentine as the next manager?

He rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but he's one of the best at in-game strategy. You want to have a sensible lineup, not give up outs, and use the right pitchers in high-leverage situations, he's your guy. He briefly played for the M's and once said he wished he could manage the team. Obviously he can relate to Japanese players.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I dug up the article quoting him about the Seattle managerial job. It's a good read... and it will also remind us all that as bad as McLaren is, he can't be worse than Maury Wills.
TheUrbanZealot
Junior
And1: 4

Post#9 » by TheUrbanZealot » Sat Sep 8, 2007 2:04 am

Let's not forget John Parrish and his 8 + ERA either.

I don't know if McLaren has personal ties to these pitchers or something, but his loyalty to them has been very questionable. Granted White has been released now, but still, maybe chemistry has caused some of the reason behind the teams' disarray?
Troy McClure
Banned User
And1: 46

Post#10 » by Troy McClure » Sat Sep 8, 2007 6:29 am

This sucks. Why am I a fan of this team? I wish I had the personality to just jump on the Yanks or Sox and act like they were my favorite team. But no, I have to be loyal to the team I grew up with. This is crap.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#11 » by wiff » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:25 am

emraldchild wrote:This sucks. Why am I a fan of this team? I wish I had the personality to just jump on the Yanks or Sox and act like they were my favorite team. But no, I have to be loyal to the team I grew up with. This is crap.

One of my closests friends, infact he married my wife and I, grew up in Boston. He has had weeks long trips of "sports euforia". I saw him on all fours praying for the kick from Vinatieri to go. The Patsies beat the Rams for their first of many. The guy was beaming. Then the Sox on the crazy 0-3 comeback to beat the Yanks, had the whole city was sleep deprived. Boston was dragging. Now the Celtics back in the hunt. Things are pretty good for Boston fan these days.

Meanwhile back in Seattle....Hawks get jobbed on the Superbowl, Mariner's win 116 games but don't win the World Series(first team for that), Sonics possibly simply leaving after they draft one of the best young players out there.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

We typically bet hot wings on games. I've lost a lot.

But a little while ago lost a bet with him and the next time I fly out there I have to wear an outfit he is sending me. He is planning to send me a Yankees outfit that has a shirts that says "I Love A-rod"! Yeah I hate the Yanks too.

Can't really say I've been dying to go see him.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#12 » by BlackMamba » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:54 pm

wiff wrote:One of my closests friends, infact he married my wife and I, grew up in Boston.

:o

and about the mariners.

i think they overachieved this year, but come on!! they could have done better. there are simply some players that need to be evaluated for a spot as an M. a new coach is needed.

but if the GM stays the same, the Ms will still have some troubles.

i can't really tell if i see a bright future or not...
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by Ex-hippie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:57 pm

At the rate they're going, I'm not even confident they'll finish .500. They have 19 games left and they need to win 6 of them. That would be an improvement.
NateMustGo
Starter
And1: 1

Post#14 » by NateMustGo » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:55 pm

I've watched baseball for alot of years but have never seen a team fade so fast as the 07 Ms. That being said they did overachive for over half the season so I still consider the season a winning one. Next year i'd like to see #1 Starting Pitching #2 a New Manager I know #2 wont happen so lets gets some starters in here 2 top notch starters and were the team going to the dance this year!And hippie
i'm with ya Valentine would be an awesome manager for this sqaud I would even like to look at Dusty Baker!
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by Ex-hippie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:21 pm

Dusty Baker? Well, he'd fit in with the organization's free-swinging philosophy, if you're into that kind of thing. But Dusty is someone who should never be allowed near King Felix. I remember when he went over from the Giants to the Cubs, I (and many others) warned that Kerry Wood and Mark Prior could be ruined, given Baker's history in San Franscisco (Shawn Estes, Russ Ortiz, William Van Landingham, Trevor Wilson, etc.). Turns out the warning was on the money. Do you want to see Felix, Morrow, Tillman, Butler, Feierabend and Aumont routinely throwing 130-140 pitches at their tender age?
b_roy7
Veteran

Post#16 » by b_roy7 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:34 pm

The Texas' series dismantled us..

Return to Seattle Mariners