If Gilbert Arenas Does Opt Out

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,387

If Gilbert Arenas Does Opt Out 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:42 am

Gilbert has said he plans on opting out of his current contract. Do you think we should make a push to acquire Gilbert during the offseason? We would obviously need to do a S&T to acquire Gilbert, but he has been on record saying that he would take less with a true contender, and he's criticized many rookies for passing on 13 million.

Gilbert would really need to tell Washington he's done for anything to remotely happen. Both trades I have come up with are assuming Gilbert signs for 13 million (ha).

Trade checker approved for what it's worth.

Trade 1: Centered around Devin Harris with more youth.

Devin Harris
Jerry Stackhouse
Nick Fazekas
Reyshawn Terry

Trade 2: Centered around Jason Terry

Jason Terry
Nick Fazekas or Reyshawn Terry
Future picks if necessary

Would Washington really want Jason's contract is the question. They're going to be free of Antawn Jamison very soon and could go after more youth, so they might not have any interest for Jason's contract, but still a decent playing to go with Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood, and the rest of their talented players.
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#2 » by JES12 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:58 am

Gilbert Arenas will never win a championship...EVER.

Therefore, NO!

Trade 1 absolutley not!
Trade 2...Make it terry staright up if Arenas wants to replace Terry as the 6th man.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,387

Post#3 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:59 am

JES12 wrote:Gilbert Arenas will never win a championship...EVER.

Therefore, NO!

Trade 1 absolutley not!
Trade 2...Make it terry staright up if Arenas wants to replace Terry as the 6th man.

I don't like trade one myself, but it may take some youth to sway Washington to even do a deal, and Jason might just turn them away.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,889

Post#4 » by dirkforpres » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:21 am

I wouldnt want to trade Terry for Arenas, but I would love to see Agent 0 play for the Mavs... He's my favorite player outside of Dallas. A trio of Arenas-Howard-Nowitzki would have to be up there with Bostons big 3 and I think that would definately put us in a better position to win a championship... Even the Gil-haters have to agree on that one.
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#5 » by yungal07 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:08 pm

Therefore, NO!

Trade 1 absolutley not!

LMAO

Dirk Nowitski will never win a championship. EVER.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 861

Post#6 » by Darren » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:38 pm

yungal07 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

LMAO

Dirk Nowitski will never win a championship. EVER.

Dirk Nowitski doesn't play the league at all.[/b]
Nick Young1
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#7 » by Nick Young1 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:00 am

Therefore, NO!

Trade 1 absolutley not!

What is your reasoning behind Gil never winning a championship?
Teddy KGB
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#8 » by Teddy KGB » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:54 am

I would trade Harris + 2 1sts + filler + Bass/Barea [if they want either] for Arenas in a S&T
Formerly ss_maverick, JHos Hydro
Deus
Veteran
And1: 149

Re: If Gilbert Arenas Does Opt Out 

Post#9 » by Deus » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:17 pm

To get Arenas the Mavs would have to trade for him. The Wizards aren't just going to let him go for nothing.

I would trade Josh for him in a second, but the Wizards wouldn't do it. They would want more.

Plus, with the number of shots Gilbert takes (18-20 a game) you would have to trade Terry or Stack as well. And then the Mavs wouldn't have a bench.
Rand10
Starter
And1: 40

Post#10 » by Rand10 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:33 pm

ss_maverick wrote:I would trade Harris + 2 1sts + filler + Bass/Barea [if they want either] for Arenas in a S&T

If we don't win a championship this year I would do that.

Howard should be off limits though. He's the only great swingman we have, and trading him for another 1/2 leaves us with major holes.
Grenerd686
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#11 » by Grenerd686 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:41 pm

arenas is a good scorer but i dont think that he is the player that will take the maves to the next level. Harris is a great defender and is a good pg. Arenas is not as good at defence as Harris. And defence wins championships look at the past teams, spurs, pistons, heat. Notice that the suns high power offence is not on the list. Simply put say no to Arenas.
your_dallas_mavericks
Starter
And1: 5

Post#12 » by your_dallas_mavericks » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:08 pm

2007, Years ago I had said that Antoine Walker, Gary Payton and Jason Williams would never win an NBA title - that still makes me ill thinking about it.

I also had said years ago that John Parr would never have a #1 song. That of course was right before St. Elmo's Fire came out...

Bottom line is you never know what situation is going to take place (like the refs cheating in order to get Miami to win) that could give some undeserving schmo a title. That schmo could be Agent Zero. Ya never know 2007, ya never know...
If we could just close games with Luka, Kyrie, Green, Maxi, and Wood that'd be great...
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#13 » by JES12 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Your right, Arenas can become the next Dwayne Wade and get get "foulded" when the nearest defeneder is 2 feet away.

Besides, Walker was not a starter. I honestly thought Payton would win a championship back in his Seattle days. Williams was always a backup PG to me, but somehow he made it.

Return to Dallas Mavericks