The Mavs as Favorites...

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

DDansby123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

The Mavs as Favorites... 

Post#1 » by DDansby123 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 7:19 am

I'm curious about something and wanted some opinions from the group on this...

It seems to me that the Mavs play to the level of their opponents, which is fairly common I think, but they seem to do so particularly when they're favored to win or seem to have an advantage pre-game. For example, heavily favored against Miami (after being up 2-0) and lost, yet in the same year beat the Spurs as the underdogs. Then, they lose as a heavy favorite against Golden State. Now this season, the theme seems to be losing to inferior teams who are missing their stars (or who are in inferior because they're missing a star, as was the case with the Celtics game, IMO).

My question is this: what causes this, who's to blame, and is it something you're concerned about come playoff time? I really don't have a clue on this, but, like I said, I'm curious.
JES12
RealGM
And1: 125

Post#2 » by JES12 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 7:24 am

I have not been concerned up to this point as Dallas gauges themselves against the better teams and really just don't care to the lesser teams. However, it is that time of year to start caring about every team; I have been saying all-star break since the season began.

But tonight, Dirk tried his best and fell short with the supporting cast. it is OBVIOUS that we need Harris and Dirk to be healthy in order to be contenders.

I did like the effort of George and Hassell tonight. One of those two need to become consistent contributors.
ppp000
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#3 » by ppp000 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 7:29 am

I can definitely see this. In fact, I predicted a loss tonight even without KG.
-Currently we have the best record against the West
-our record against a much weaker East is worse
JES12
RealGM
And1: 125

Post#4 » by JES12 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 7:29 am

Oh, the blame (whether good or bad) is all on Avery's shoulder as his coaching on the court and everything out of his mouth has been a brainwash of peaking at the right time and all the players have repeated the same thing as if they buy into it.
elwudl
Freshman

Post#5 » by elwudl » Fri Feb 1, 2008 7:45 am

I think it is caused by the fact that avery somehow wants to adjust to the opponents system. and for some opponents we have the right peaces (san antonio the last years) and for other teams we haven't (golden state last year).
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#6 » by Pointguard01 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:03 am

JES12 wrote:Oh, the blame (whether good or bad) is all on Avery's shoulder as his coaching on the court and everything out of his mouth has been a brainwash of peaking at the right time and all the players have repeated the same thing as if they buy into it.

I think its a combo of this and what elwudl said, but going a little different direction. Dallas is a very deep team in that so many players dont know there roles. Think about the questions that have been asked this season.

Is Harris really our PG?
Who is our SG?
Will Terry continue to come off the bench?
Is Diop in the doghouse?
Why has Juwan gotten Bass' minutes?
Why does Hassell play well and then get benched?
Is Josh out 1st option?

There are probably more, and yea, some have been answered, but still it seems like there are way too many question marks about roles. And then we hear rumors of bringing Kidd in, which would totally kill the progress we've made with Devin as point. I still think Dallas needs a SG and JET probably needs to be on his way out.
elwudl
Freshman

Post#7 » by elwudl » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:17 am

Pointguard01 wrote:I still think Dallas needs a SG and JET probably needs to be on his way out.

:bowdown:
jwa1107
General Manager

Post#8 » by jwa1107 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 5:49 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:Dallas is a very deep team in that so many players dont know there roles. Think about the questions that have been asked this season.

Is Harris really our PG?
Who is our SG?
Will Terry continue to come off the bench?
Is Diop in the doghouse?
Why has Juwan gotten Bass' minutes?
Why does Hassell play well and then get benched?
Is Josh out 1st option?

There are probably more, and yea, some have been answered, but still it seems like there are way too many question marks about roles. And then we hear rumors of bringing Kidd in, which would totally kill the progress we've made with Devin as point. I still think Dallas needs a SG and JET probably needs to be on his way out.

and doesn't that fall to the coach? or does it speak to the GM?
this roster is full of talent (of varying degrees) from top to bottom.

But look at what Buford does (and I admit this may be an anomoly):
SAN roster is also full of talent top to bottom like Dallas but each player seems to have a role and been brought in for that purpose... or is that more Pop's doings? He only wants Horry to do certain things and he lets him know in no uncertain terms what his role is. Or is it that Pops/Buford sees what the team needs and goes out to fill that role and it able to recruit talent to fill it?

Where for years Nellie as GM was to load up on offensive talent and stack the DAL roster with playes who can score and score and score and if they happen to be able to rebound or play defense that was a bonus.

The only player I can point to who knew his role on this team last season without a doubt was Devean George. There were a few articles where he said he saw what the team needed and he tried to fill that hole (I do not recall him saying the coaches told him to do so or not) so that he could get minutes.

To a lesser extent you could say Stack and Damp at times knew their roles (come off the bench and give the team a spark) in the past but I think Stack's lost that role (the coaches tried to take it from him and give it to JET early in the season). and Damp now knows and fills his role admirably (and I argue that any failings at C now tend to come from other personnel issues/breakdowns rather than Damp not knowing what he is on the team to do).
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Post#9 » by dirkforpres » Fri Feb 1, 2008 6:31 pm

Overconfidence... It should fall on the shoulders of the coach, Avery shouldnt let his players get too full of themselves.
DDansby123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#10 » by DDansby123 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 7:09 pm

jwa1107 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
and doesn't that fall to the coach? or does it speak to the GM?
this roster is full of talent (of varying degrees) from top to bottom.

I still think Avery's simply trying to figure out how to play the hand he's been dealt. Some coaches might know exactly how to play it, but I don't think Avery does yet. Is that his fault? Sure, I guess.

Here's the question: are the problems you see on the court what you'd expect to see from looking at the roster? If so, the problems are with the GM, not the coach. If not, it's the coach. Personally, I think our problems could be easily predicted by looking at the roster, so I place most of the blame on the GM.

Return to Dallas Mavericks