What is your all time Maverick team

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

What is your all time Maverick team 

Post#1 » by fuller4379 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:34 pm

Mine:
PG - Derek Harper (honorable mention Nash and Kidd). 12 season. 14.4 ppg. 5.9 AGP. Very solid defender. Sure, Nash and Kidd are future Hall of Fame players, but their best years were not in a Maverick uniforn.

SG - Rolando Blackman (honorable mention Finley). 11 years. 19.2 PPG. 4x all-star. This is close but I have to give the edge to Rolando.

SF - Mark Aguirre (honorable mention Shawn Marion). 8 seasons. 24.6 PPG. 3x all-star. He was a pain in the ass but he could shoot. It isn't very close here, but I love Marion's defense.

PF - Dirk Nowitzki (honorable mention Sam Perkins). 19 seasons. 21.7 PPG. 7.8 RPG. 12x all-star. League MVP. Not even close here.

Center - James Donaldson (honorable mention Tyson Chandler). 7 seasons. 8.8 PPG. 9.5 RPG. 1x all-star. Tyson Chandler was good for a short period, but much like Derek Harper, I have to get it to longevity here.

6th Man - Jason Terry (honorable mention Roy Tarpley). 8 seasons. 6th man of year award.16.1 PPG. 4.1 APG.

The 1980's teams gets more members because the core group stuck together longer.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Re: What is your all time Maverick team 

Post#2 » by Teffer10 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:38 pm

Kidd
Blackman
Aguirre
Dirk
Chandler

Bench:
NVE
Dale Ellis
Vince Carter
Detlef Schrempf
Tarpley
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#3 » by 2011Champs » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:31 am

Harper
Blackman
Aguirre
Tarpley
Donaldson
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,041

Post#4 » by daoneandonly » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:08 pm

Starters:
Jason Kidd - should have never been traded in the first place, the epitome of a floor general and great defender, key to our title
Rolando Blackman - I started watching the Mavs in the early 90s, but form what I heard and highlights I saw of this guy, he was special
Gary Trent - I know what people are thinking, what? But I just remember the guy was tops in scoring on a bad Mavs team, so I have fond memories of following his box score stats
Dirk Nowitzki - no real explanation here, the greatest Mavs of all time and quint essential pro
Tyson Chandler - the difference maker in a contender to title winners, all heart

Bench
Nick Van Exel - so good jay Z gave him a shout out in Crazy In Love. The guy made for some awesome playoff must see TV, was sad to see him traded for Jamison
Michael Finley - hated the contract, but was a vital part of getting the Mavs out of the pit
Shawn Marion - the matrix was the exact type of guy you put next to Dirk, can't help but wonder if we had him in his prime. Afterall that was our pick Phx used to get him.
Chris Gatling - have to give a shout out to a guy who repped the Mavs in an all star game
Nerlen Noel - speaks to the sad state of our history of Centers, but if he resigns at a reasonable rate and plays like he did last year, he belongs here and may be the starter in
Nowitness
General Manager
And1: 4,439

Post#5 » by Nowitness » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:20 pm

Kidd/Harper/Nash
Blackman/Terry
Aguirre/Finley/Marion
Nowitzki/Tarpley
Donaldson/Chandler

Honorable Mentions: Shawn Bradley, Devin Harris, JJ Barea, Dampier, Stackhouse, Josh Howard
Nowitnessing a legend
2011Champs
General Manager

Post#6 » by 2011Champs » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:21 pm

I love Dirk and know that he is the G.O.A.T. but am I wrong to say that Tarpley when @100% was better than Dirk?

It's difficult to compare different eras. I really think had Roy not had the drug issues and a full 12-14 year career the Mavs would have had a championship or two back in late 80's - early 90's. It's always that what might have been , what could have been.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#7 » by Darren » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:46 am

Harrison Barnes should be upset that no one mention him at least one time so far. Work hard and smart. At some point of the future, he could be hopefully included in the conversation.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#8 » by The Sparest » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:19 am

Kidd, Nash, Van Exel
Blackman, JET, Raja Bell
Marion, Aguirre, Josh Howard
Dirk, Chris Gatling, Raef LaFrentz
Tarpley, Donaldson, Chandler

I was torn between Bell and Stack for the final spot. I went with Bell for his better defense and overall game. Stack had a great killer instinct, but This team has enough scorers and Bell was a perfect glue/dirty work guy like Marion.

I have forgiven Finley for his Spurs stint, but I haven't forgotten it.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
2011Champs
General Manager

Post#9 » by 2011Champs » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:35 pm

Darren wrote:Harrison Barnes should be upset that no one mention him at least one time so far. Work hard and smart. At some point of the future, he could be hopefully included in the conversation.

Barnes might be in the conversation 4-5 years from now. It's only been one season so far and hasn't accomplished much other than increasing his scoring load. It will also help Barnes if he can continue his scoring output at the SF position since he rebounds like a guard.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#10 » by Roddy B for 3 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:59 am

I'm just going to use who my eyes saw, live.

Nash/Kidd/Harris
Finley/JET/Ellis
Howard/Marion/Matthews
Nowitzki/Jamison/Barnes
Chandler/Fortson/Wright

I REALLY wish I could put Rondo on this list. He is probably my top 5 hated Mavericks.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Torgeir Bryn
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Post#11 » by Torgeir Bryn » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:47 pm

A mix of peak and longevity:

Nash/Kidd/Harper
Blackman/Terry
Aguirre/Finley/Marion
Nowitzki/Tarpley
Chandler/Bradley
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,040

Post#12 » by Mr B » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:15 am

2011Champs wrote:I love Dirk and know that he is the G.O.A.T. but am I wrong to say that Tarpley when @100% was better than Dirk?

It's difficult to compare different eras. I really think had Roy not had the drug issues and a full 12-14 year career the Mavs would have had a championship or two back in late 80's - early 90's. It's always that what might have been , what could have been.

You're not wrong. Tarpley is one of the saddest stories in NBA history. He had great range but was a beast inside. Could rebound and defend. If he had a 15 year career we would be talking about him in the same breath as Karl Malone. Drug addiction is a hell of a thing.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#13 » by fuller4379 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:41 pm

Tarpley was incredible. The 1987-88 team was probably their best ever. The problem was the Lakers were stacked. The Mavs 80's team seem to impload with Aquirre forcing a trade and Tarpley's alcohol problems. Free agent moves didn't work either as the picked up Fat Lever and Alex English a year too late.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,828

Post#14 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:43 am

2011Champs wrote:I love Dirk and know that he is the G.O.A.T. but am I wrong to say that Tarpley when @100% was better than Dirk?

Dirk is one of the best 15 players of all-time. Tarpley was not on that trajectory.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,828

Post#15 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:43 am

Dirk is one of the best 15 players of all-time. Tarpley was not on that trajectory.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#16 » by studcrackers » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:07 am

are you on the same stuff Roy was on?
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,041

Post#17 » by daoneandonly » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:14 pm

Mr B wrote:

You're not wrong. Tarpley is one of the saddest stories in NBA history. He had great range but was a beast inside. Could rebound and defend. If he had a 15 year career we would be talking about him in the same breath as Karl Malone. Drug addiction is a hell of a thing.

Maybe I lack the empathy I should, but I don't think it's sad or feel sorry for someone who willingly chose to do drugs/alcohol. Now if they suffer from a disease or condition they had no control over, like Bosh, your heart's got to go out to them and those situations are unfortunate and sad. Tarpley chose to do drugs and abuse them, he made his bed and I don't think anyone should feel bad for him and spend too much time wondering what if.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,040

Post#18 » by Mr B » Mon Sep 4, 2017 12:27 am

He wouldn't make my all time Mavs team but Shawn Bradley was better than some people give him credit for. This was a good video of him.

HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#19 » by HoopsMalone » Mon Sep 4, 2017 4:09 am

Without any debate the best center/COBOL programmer they've ever had is Uwe Blab.

Has any other maverick worked for Texas instruments while riding the pine? I think not

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Post#20 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Sep 5, 2017 9:44 pm

I wasn’t around to see tarpley live, but this is probably an “overrating the what if” scenario. I saw Texas Chuck already chimed in on it. Even if we’re just talking peaks, dirk still peaked very highly. As talented as tarpley was, that’s a tall order to reach on its own.

Return to Dallas Mavericks