ImageImageImage

Mavericks 2017 Off-season

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

Roddy B for 3
Rookie
And1: 176

Re: Mavericks 2017 Off-season 

Post#1121 » by Roddy B for 3 » Wed Sep 6, 2017 4:43 pm

GimmeDat wrote:Hey guys, intrigued to ask, have you found that the changing needs of front-court players in the modern NBA have changed Dirk's effectiveness between the 4 and 5 positions?

(i.e. smaller, mobile PF's making him struggle at the 4 defensively, need for spacing making him more viable at the 5, etc.)

Old man Dirk is a 5. Current (really old) Dirk is a 6th man Center. Prime Dirk is a 4 and dictates the matchups (unless Avery is the coach). Young Dirk is a 3/4/5.

He will play (probably) most of this year at his traditional PF position. He'll probably defend mostly the way you would expect an immobile 5 to.

Dirk's age has affected his effectiveness more than small ball. I do think this current version of Dirk would be more effective ten years ago. His decline is 99% age 1% league changing.. Maybe.
7/1/2019
Darren
General Manager
And1: 192

Post#1122 » by Darren » Fri Sep 8, 2017 6:28 am

Adam Silver really hates Mark Cuban. He first reacts to the division / conference problem with no reform. And now he reacts to tanking with lottery reform. When will he get fired?
Roddy B for 3
Rookie
And1: 176

Post#1123 » by Roddy B for 3 » Fri Sep 8, 2017 9:54 pm

The freaking Mavs suck. What was the point of this offseason? To NOT overpay Nerlens Noel, to take BPA at pick #9 and to sign foreign players who noone has heard of to the lowest amount possible???? I mean seriously, we did that last year and a guy who showed promise, Brussino gets cut this offseason? Wtf?

Our big FA acquisition was a 7' white stiff and a guy we had labeled our Center of the future doesn't get his max deal. Even tho we threatend anyone we would pay him that, I get it cold hard business. Idk man why be a fan of this team? We should 100% be a team that operates over the cap. That is where all of our success has always been and is the best way to win.

The rules put in place allow over the cap teams extra advantages. We've been so good at that for so long I can only think the reason we aren't going that way is due to Cubans lack of attention to the team.

I'm coming to appreciate Galloway's old saying, "Dirk saves all butts" more and more.

Why be a fan of a team that's primary decision maker (and man who personally finacially profits off of my investment in the team), Cuban no longer focuses on the design of the team even as much as I?
7/1/2019
arkuo
Starter
And1: 29

Post#1124 » by arkuo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:30 pm

Interesting turn of events. what we lose (possibly) in Nerlens Noel in unrestricted free agency, we may gain back in Joel Embiid or Jabari Parker (should their respective teams not pay them a max contract).

At this point, Jabari Parker looks really interesting for the Mavs. Possible Dirk replacement at the 4.
Darren
General Manager

Post#1125 » by Darren » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:41 pm

arkuo wrote:Interesting turn of events. what we lose (possibly) in Nerlens Noel in unrestricted free agency, we may gain back in Joel Embiid or Jabari Parker (should their respective teams not pay them a max contract).

At this point, Jabari Parker looks really interesting for the Mavs. Possible Dirk replacement at the 4.

I am plause on the fit with Parker. He's short PF with low rebounding average. I wonder if he cancels out Harrison Barnes fitting alongside each other. And he's also a major injury risk. If he wants more than 20, why don't we just give Noel then? At least, Noel plays one of the most difficult position in the game. I know Parker average 20 per game. But is that what we need with the cap space. I don't think we want him as long as Barnes is on the team.

Joel Embiid is an interesting candidate. Clearly, Sixers want him back more than Noel. So am I. As we've nothing to do with the cap space, I think we may actually offer him a big contract even if he's injury issues. At this point, Sixers would likely match. But they may let him go if they find something even better in draft or trade.

My ideal situation is that we've got Embiid for a max deal. We trade a top few pick for Porzingis. We keep Barnes. We develop Dennis Smith. We find another big free agent target at 2 if Wes opts out of his contract. Embiid-Porzingis-Barnes-Whoever-Smith is a good team for rebuilding and competing. I am also opened to the return of Seth Curry. But he's to prove to be effectively alongside Smith on both ends. I don't want him back as a backup. But will consider him as a 'low-dollar' starter comparable. He's 27. He's not so valuable for rebuilding team. He's also not valuable enough to top-notch competing team.
Mr B
Veteran
And1: 547

Post#1126 » by Mr B » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:47 pm

Darren wrote:
arkuo wrote:Interesting turn of events. what we lose (possibly) in Nerlens Noel in unrestricted free agency, we may gain back in Joel Embiid or Jabari Parker (should their respective teams not pay them a max contract).

I am plause on the fit with Parker. He's short PF with low rebounding average. I wonder if he cancels out Harrison Barnes fitting alongside each other. And he's also a major injury risk. If he wants more than 20, why don't we just give Noel then? At least, Noel plays one of the most difficult position in the game. I know Parker average 20 per game. But is that what we need with the cap space. I don't think we want him as long as Barnes is on the team.

Joel Embiid is an interesting candidate. Clearly, Sixers want him back more than Noel. So am I. As we've nothing to do with the cap space, I think we may actually offer him a big contract even if he's injury issues. At this point, Sixers would likely match. But they may let him go if they find something even better in draft or trade.

My ideal situation is that we've got Embiid for a max deal. We trade a top few pick for Porzingis. We keep Barnes. We develop Dennis Smith. We find another big free agent target at 2 if Wes opts out of his contract. Embiid-Porzingis-Barnes-Whoever-Smith is a good team for rebuilding and competing. I am also opened to the return of Seth Curry. But he's to prove to be effectively alongside Smith on both ends. I don't want him back as a backup. But will consider him as a 'low-dollar' starter comparable. He's 27. He's not so valuable for rebuilding team. He's also not valuable enough to top-notch competing team.

Yea I'm pretty sure there is no way in hell the Mavs end up with Embiid AND Porzingis.
Darren
General Manager

Post#1127 » by Darren » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:51 pm

Mr B wrote:
Darren wrote:

Yea I'm pretty sure there is no way in hell the Mavs end up with Embiid AND Porzingis.

Yes, the Mavs do not belong to the hell. :D
But yes, it takes a lot of lucks for both team to let either guy walk.
arkuo
Starter
And1: 29

Post#1128 » by arkuo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:54 pm

Darren wrote:

Agreed. The only logical way we sign Jabari Parker to like north of $20M is to entice Giannis to come here after 2019 or 2020. Those 2 are best buds and if Giannis gets pissed I wouldnt mind a S&T of Barnes for Giannis either.

Allen Iverson was the last guy Philly maxed out if I remember correctly. They may have concerns signing Embiid to a max long term deal. The same jitters Cuban faced with signing Nerlens to a max long term deal. IF and when that happens, Im thinking if we were to pay the max anyway, do we give it to Nerlens or Embiid? Both players tore their ACLs already. Embiid can actually carry a team and score 20 and 10 on a nightly basis so Im leaning that way. For now.
Mr B
Veteran

Post#1129 » by Mr B » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:56 pm

Darren wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Darren wrote:

They could have a shot at Okafor if they wanted. Embiid is a priority for Philly though.
Darren
General Manager

Post#1130 » by Darren » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:16 pm

Mr B wrote:
Darren wrote:
Mr B wrote:

They could have a shot at Okafor if they wanted. Embiid is a priority for Philly though.

Okafor!? Can we care less about interior defense? He's a fine scorer. But he's not as good a rebounder against most big men in this league. Rebounding could be worrisome going forward.
daoneandonly
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#1131 » by daoneandonly » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:57 pm

Darren wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Darren wrote:

Okafor!? Can we care less about interior defense? He's a fine scorer. But he's not as good a rebounder against most big men in this league. Rebounding could be worrisome going forward.

I don't want him either, but I think the poster's point was he's a realistic target. Neither Embiid or Porzingas are, let alone both.
Mr B
Veteran

Post#1132 » by Mr B » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:44 am

daoneandonly wrote:
Darren wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I don't want him either, but I think the poster's point was he's a realistic target. Neither Embiid or Porzingas are, let alone both.

Exactly! I don't want Okafor either but I'm trying to be realistic.
Darren
General Manager

Post#1133 » by Darren » Yesterday 1:56 pm

Are we interested in a trade for Andre Drummond?

Chicago gets Nerlens Noel, Wes Matthews, Jose Barea
Dallas gets Andre Drummond
Detriot gets Dwayne Wade (buyout), Bobby Portis

Bulls gets their man in Noel. Finally, they gets a starting caliber PG in Barea.
Dallas gets a long term big at 23 yo. Except his free throw percentage, I am okay with his fit.
Detriot unloads Drummond and get a young big in Portis.

Sounds possible for all parties including Noel.

Return to Dallas Mavericks