ImageImageImage

Do we sign Demarcus Cousins in the off-season?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Soupman
Assistant Coach
And1: 759

Do we sign Demarcus Cousins in the off-season? 

Post#1 » by Soupman » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:12 pm

Do we sign him to a max contract then throttle down his minutes in the regular season to preserve his health?
Convert municipal and agricultural waste to refined natural gas. Sell the refined natural gas to gas companies. Use the money to provide a monthly basic income to people that earn less than $28,000 a year.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,033

Re: Do we sign Demarcus Cousins in the off-season? 

Post#2 » by daoneandonly » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:19 pm

Absolutley no reason whatsoever to do so. The guy is toxic, coming off another huge injury, and not a great fit with KP
Soupman
Assistant Coach
And1: 759

Post#3 » by Soupman » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:29 pm

The recent injury he had doesn't require surgery.
Convert municipal and agricultural waste to refined natural gas. Sell the refined natural gas to gas companies. Use the money to provide a monthly basic income to people that earn less than $28,000 a year.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,951

Post#4 » by Archx » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:42 pm

Sign max then limit numbers? Absolutely not. Even healthy Cousins is far from deserving a max in my opinion.
Ni Da Ye
Sixth Man
And1: 2,104

Post#5 » by Ni Da Ye » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:50 pm

I will do it in a heart beat if he accepts the minimum.
IQ_baller wrote:MJ never played against quality teams in the finals

IQ_baller wrote:Replace MJ with Jimmy and Bulls win the same amount of rings

Realgm quality posts, ladies and gentlemen.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,815

Post#6 » by dirkforpres » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:58 pm

No way for a max contract.

I’d offer a 1+1 contract at 15 per year. That’s the absolute highest he should get but some dumb team out there will likely go higher than that.
FIRE JASON KIDD
Rogerson
Sophomore
And1: 163

Post#7 » by Rogerson » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:34 am

Hopefully not.

I want Brook Lopez instead.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#8 » by fuller4379 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:44 pm

No
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#9 » by XTraderXL » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:56 pm

Rogerson wrote:Hopefully not.

I want Brook Lopez instead.

Brook Lopez would be perfect for this team and he is an UFA after this season. He just turned 31 so he probably has 2 good years left and the price shount be too high.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#10 » by Pointguard01 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:17 pm

I don’t see how Brook is perfect for this team. He’s a poor version of KP, unless we are talking about him as a backup to Porzingis. KP needs a rim running, mobile player next to him. Think a DAJ that’s more mobile.

No thanks to Cousins. I would hate if we brought him here, even despite the injury concerns. The attitude is the last thing we need around 2 young stars.
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,276

Post#11 » by tribulations » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:02 am

People need to let the obsession with Cousins go.

Damaged goods and bad attitude. Not for this team please, unless of course we were literally one big body away from winning a title.

In which case still only maybe.

Sent from my SM-G930F using RealGM mobile app
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#12 » by jpengland » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:18 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:I don’t see how Brook is perfect for this team. He’s a poor version of KP, unless we are talking about him as a backup to Porzingis. KP needs a rim running, mobile player next to him. Think a DAJ that’s more mobile.

No thanks to Cousins. I would hate if we brought him here, even despite the injury concerns. The attitude is the last thing we need around 2 young stars.

KP needs neither of those things.

Porzingis provides rim protection and should be our C. The advantage is that he can kill bigs on the perimeter and if they go small, he kills them inside.

If you play another big with him, you lose that advantage.

The key to success with Porzingis will be placing athletic, versatile guys around him who can all shoot the three ball. You want to find a stretchy, athletic 4 next to him who will punish guys outside if left open to help Porzingis man inside.

On defense you never want KP guarding anything but 5. So whoever plays with him needs to be able to guard small ball 4s.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#13 » by Pointguard01 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:35 pm

jpengland wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:I don’t see how Brook is perfect for this team. He’s a poor version of KP, unless we are talking about him as a backup to Porzingis. KP needs a rim running, mobile player next to him. Think a DAJ that’s more mobile.

Porzingis provides rim protection and should be our C. The advantage is that he can kill bigs on the perimeter and if they go small, he kills them inside.

The key to success with Porzingis will be placing athletic, versatile guys around him who can all shoot the three ball. You want to find a stretchy, athletic 4 next to him who will punish guys outside if left open to help Porzingis man inside.

On defense you never want KP guarding anything but 5. So whoever plays with him needs to be able to guard small ball 4s.

I don’t disagree that KP is our “center” but the guy at PF needs to be able to guard PFs. And they need to put pressure on the rim.

The guy next to KP really needs to be versatile to guard 4s and 5s. You aren’t getting the perfect fit, so I’d take a rum runner over a 3 point shooter. Esp bc I think it’s easier to find that who can also rebound and play defense than a shooter.

Also, a rim runner should open up the 3 pointer for KP as much as another 3point shooter. We need someone that puts pressure on the paint.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#14 » by jpengland » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:42 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:
jpengland wrote:

I don’t disagree that KP is our “center” but the guy at PF needs to be able to guard PFs. And they need to put pressure on the rim.

The guy next to KP really needs to be versatile to guard 4s and 5s. You aren’t getting the perfect fit, so I’d take a rum runner over a 3 point shooter. Esp bc I think it’s easier to find that who can also rebound and play defense than a shooter.

Also, a rim runner should open up the 3 pointer for KP as much as another 3point shooter. We need someone that puts pressure on the paint.

KP on the block and Luka on the drive puts enough pressure on defending the rim.

We need spacing to allow KP and Luka to do their thing. I agree they need to guard 4s, but how many bully buy 4s are going to abuse us?

Spacing and switchibility are the keys.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#15 » by daoneandonly » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:09 pm

jpengland wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:
jpengland wrote:

KP on the block and Luka on the drive puts enough pressure on defending the rim.

We need spacing to allow KP and Luka to do their thing. I agree they need to guard 4s, but how many bully buy 4s are going to abuse us?

Who do you guys think fit the bill for said PF?
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#16 » by arkuo » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:17 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
jpengland wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:

In a perfect world: Pascal Siakam

with what our budget likely permits: Thad Young
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#17 » by daoneandonly » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:21 pm

arkuo wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
jpengland wrote:

In a perfect world: Pascal Siakam

with what our budget likely permits: Thad Young

Well pascal is not even remotely realistic, but yeah, I like Thad Young and would be fine with him
Darren
RealGM
And1: 824

Post#18 » by Darren » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:26 pm

I am more interested in taking burden (Wiggins) with expirings and lesser cap burden for a chance on Bol Bol. Despite injury concern, Bol Bol presents a favorable mismatch on nightly basis. I expect Bol Bol to slide as much as Michael Porter last season.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#19 » by SOUNDCHASER » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:46 am

The 5's in this draft suck so they will all slide. Porters brother may be available when we pick as well as Udoka.

Now if you can snag Vucevic in free agency you have to do it. The dfference he makes on the boards and guarding other bigs with size is important to the teams ability to match up and dominate on the glass and protect the rim. Size still matters.

With Luka KP and Vuc we have the best front court of any team.

The backcourt is questionable maybe we can use some of our SF depth at SG. THJ has a bad shot and so we need to dump him. His expiring should get us something decent at the TDL.

Any PG would love to come here but with Brunson Burke and Barea we are somewhat deep and Brunson could develop into a legit PG that can hit 40% from 3. Luka is the real PG though But at that position he leaves us needing a SF or SG.

Jackson or THJ are the best choices if they can improve their shooting. Ryan might surprise in his second season in the league.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#20 » by arkuo » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:41 am

Cousins at like $15M which is less than what Clint Capela is making will be very attractive to NBA GMs. Anything more might be risky. There will be some teams who may be willing to take on that risk though.

If Cuban wants Cousins anchoring the paint for us, maybe we give him the full (over the cap) MLE first at $9M as a prove you're healthy type of deal. Then if he does prove his health, then we can give him a bigger contract ($15M) next year when Courtney Lee expires.

So the plan can basically be:
A) Sign Kemba
B) Sign DFS and Maxi back
C) Give Cousins a prove yourself type of deal via the over the cap MLE

C- Cousins / Powell
PF- Porzingis / Kleber
SF- Doncic / Jackson
SG- DFS / THJ
PG- Kemba / Brunson / Burke

Return to Dallas Mavericks