ImageImageImage

Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Recap]

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

BlueSan
Pro Prospect
Posts: 759
And1: 249
Joined: Dec 13, 2017
 

Re: Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Next: Oct. 11 vs. Milwaukee (FSSW)] 

Post#81 » by BlueSan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:31 pm

Archx wrote:
Read on Twitter


Doncic quote: “It was a little weird,” he said. “I haven’t played in like, six, seven months. But I feel great. It’s preseason and our first game together and I thought it was great. “But I can’t make a normal shot. I always make the shots I wasn’t supposed to make. I got to work on that, for sure. I missed three, four layups, I missed free throws, I missed open threes. It’s going to get better for sure. First game in six, seven months. We just got to keep working the next two weeks.”



What in the world does it mean first game in 6-7 months...

First of all that doesnt effect your FT % In fact by statistics not even fatigue in games doesnt give any serious impact to FT %. So what in the world is he talking about. That he did not shoot them in 6-7 months? Give me a break
Archx
Starter
Posts: 2,488
And1: 1,662
Joined: Feb 09, 2018
 

Re: Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Next: Oct. 11 vs. Milwaukee (FSSW)] 

Post#82 » by Archx » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:49 pm

BlueSan wrote:
Archx wrote:
Read on Twitter


Doncic quote: “It was a little weird,” he said. “I haven’t played in like, six, seven months. But I feel great. It’s preseason and our first game together and I thought it was great. “But I can’t make a normal shot. I always make the shots I wasn’t supposed to make. I got to work on that, for sure. I missed three, four layups, I missed free throws, I missed open threes. It’s going to get better for sure. First game in six, seven months. We just got to keep working the next two weeks.”



What in the world does it mean first game in 6-7 months...

First of all that doesnt effect your FT % In fact by statistics not even fatigue in games doesnt give any serious impact to FT %. So what in the world is he talking about. That he did not shoot them in 6-7 months? Give me a break


No clue. But i haven't seen him working out his shooting touch even once during off season. He was mostly on his friends boat or doing some athletic stuff. Well he got faster and stronger, that's evident but i guess he took a bit more time off from bball after 4-5 years of constant playing.
I mean, i can't blame him honestly, he is only 20yo afterall but if he want's to carry this team he'll have to work on his game a lot more next off season. Even before the draft i said that i expect it will take 2-3 NBA seasons for him to become a much improved version of himself.
Then again, we'll have to wait at least a couple of games before we really see his new form. Maybe this game was just an anomaly, KP wasn't much more efficient either.
Darren
RealGM
Posts: 11,247
And1: 466
Joined: Nov 06, 2003

Re: Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Next: Oct. 11 vs. Milwaukee (FSSW)] 

Post#83 » by Darren » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:54 am

I think a bit about the rotation. I think the starting unit is better off playing zone defense. In case it is, what about Boban starting alongside Zinger, Powell, Luka and Curry for a super big lineup. This is not a strong defensive unit but it is really long lineup to have a lot of player body up in the middle to fix shotblocking and rebounding issue and contest outside shots at good rate. Offensively, the spacing is much better with somebody in the paint regularly.

The second unit is essentially Maxi/Another FA C/PF combo, DFS/Broekhoff, JJ 2.0/TH, Wright, Barea/Brunson. This might fix the balance issue and could help the defensive effort somewhat. This lineup plays an uptempo style of basketball. Forcing turnover / Getting board and run. Lots of fastbreak. Lots of defense. This is enough offensive weapon to get an edge against random second unit. At times, the Mavs could run with a 2-PG lineup to climb from behind scenario.
Teffer10
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,689
And1: 387
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
     

Re: Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Next: Oct. 11 vs. Milwaukee (FSSW)] 

Post#84 » by Teffer10 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:33 am

My take on the first two games:

1. Our lack of strength in the frontcourt will be a problem as teams figure out to get physical with us early.
Adams and Drummond owned the paint against us.

2. Lack of athleticism in our SL and main rotation. Powell and DFS are about it. Wright, THJ and Maxi are athletic but I see a lack of aggression in their athletic game.

3. Wright is a complete disappointment thus far. It's early but so far he looks lost. Reaves looks better than Wright to me so far.

4. Curry seems to have a lack of interest. It is preseason so I'll give him a pass. He has to be more involved in the offense for us to any chance at the POs.

5. Brunson will be a very solid backup PG and might work his way into the SL if others don't pick it up a little.

6. KP and Luka are legit stars and will need more help. The drop off of talent level from them to the next guy is much too big.

7. THJ is showing some signs of being that 3rd option guy and I'd still love to see him in the SL. We need to see if he can elevate to a Fin role and the best way to do that is playing him predominantly with starters. He needs to be consistent.

8. We need some attitude on this team. Give me a Stack, NVE or DeShawn Stevenson clone and I'll be happy.

9. Boban is just plain too slow for this team. Mejri was a better fit imo even though Boban is a better player.

10. Jackson and DFS are not starting material. Jackson showed signs the first game but didn't seem to mesh well with Luka and KP for some reason. We need to find a defensive wing who can shoot the 3. Jackson can shoot the 3 but doesn't look anywhere near an elite defender. DFS's overall game is barely good enough to make the roster of a PO caliber team.
2011Champs
General Manager
Posts: 8,925
And1: 809
Joined: Nov 21, 2008
Location: Buried deep in Carlisle's doghouse
 

Re: Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Next: Oct. 11 vs. Milwaukee (FSSW)] 

Post#85 » by 2011Champs » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:48 pm

I’m very disappointed in Cuban/Donnie throwing in the towel and making zero attempt at putting a legit team around Luka and Porzingis. Hardaway is the only player that might be able to be counted on as a 3rd option/starter. The rest of the team probably would be at the very bottom of any other team’s bench or g-league.

Right now I cannot see Dallas winning more than 30 games. The current roster composition makes me want to puke.
Apz
Sophomore
Posts: 190
And1: 36
Joined: Jan 18, 2019
   

Re: Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Next: Oct. 11 vs. Milwaukee (FSSW)] 

Post#86 » by Apz » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:26 pm

It looked decent first half, the bench outscored the starters. Then it just fell apart. First game for many, not all played together before. Also using way too many players, felt like we lost structure the more players that got involved.

I would like to see Curry in the starting lineup. Think he shot 100% from 3 last game? He should be able to get so many open looks with KP and Luka. Wouldnt mind us starting Luka, Curry, Wright, KP, Kleber or something like that tonight. It should open up nice slashing lanes for Wright. Could even see DFS in that lineup.

Problem is what someone said on twitter. 1/3 of the players in the league signed this summer and cant be traded for some time and the market is the most dead ever. I would have loved Drummond as I said last season, but dont think that can happen
ARTjoMS
Freshman
Posts: 51
And1: 42
Joined: Oct 06, 2018
 

Re: Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Next: Oct. 11 vs. Milwaukee (FSSW)] 

Post#87 » by ARTjoMS » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:28 pm

Teffer10 wrote:3. Wright is a complete disappointment thus far. It's early but so far he looks lost. Reaves looks better than Wright to me so far.


What did you expect? The guy has started in only 18 nba games. Can't really expect much.

I am more disappointment with FO who signed him for that money.
daoneandonly
General Manager
Posts: 8,202
And1: 1,267
Joined: May 27, 2004
Location: Masalaland
 

Re: Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Next: Oct. 11 vs. Milwaukee (FSSW)] 

Post#88 » by daoneandonly » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:32 pm

ARTjoMS wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:3. Wright is a complete disappointment thus far. It's early but so far he looks lost. Reaves looks better than Wright to me so far.


What did you expect? The guy has started in only 18 nba games. Can't really expect much.

I am more disappointment with FO who signed him for that money.


Yea I have a feeling he was the "target" because when we played Memphis he had 2 triple doubles on us. Ignoring the fact that he was guarded by a pretty inept defender in Brunson
oldshoolballer
Sophomore
Posts: 118
And1: 79
Joined: Nov 24, 2018

Re: Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Next: Oct. 11 vs. Milwaukee (FSSW)] 

Post#89 » by oldshoolballer » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:07 pm

2011Champs wrote:I’m very disappointed in Cuban/Donnie throwing in the towel and making zero attempt at putting a legit team around Luka and Porzingis. Hardaway is the only player that might be able to be counted on as a 3rd option/starter. The rest of the team probably would be at the very bottom of any other team’s bench or g-league.

Right now I cannot see Dallas winning more than 30 games. The current roster composition makes me want to puke.

I agree the roster construction is pretty bad There were some good role players available in free agency. I like Brunson and Curry and Powell as a bench role but don't really see much else Even with that Luka and KP are so good I think they still have a shot at an 8th seed.
SOUNDCHASER
Pro Prospect
Posts: 910
And1: 121
Joined: Feb 11, 2013

Re: Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Next: Oct. 11 vs. Milwaukee (FSSW)] 

Post#90 » by SOUNDCHASER » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:49 pm

much to early to see what this team has in any of the new guys. We need to give some more time to see how well they fit first.
Zespetjest
Ballboy
Posts: 43
And1: 36
Joined: Dec 18, 2017

Re: Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Next: Oct. 11 vs. Milwaukee (FSSW)] 

Post#91 » by Zespetjest » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:47 pm

Jesus, some of you guys should be on a suicide watch after just 2 preseason games
daoneandonly
General Manager
Posts: 8,202
And1: 1,267
Joined: May 27, 2004
Location: Masalaland
 

Re: Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Next: Oct. 11 vs. Milwaukee (FSSW)] 

Post#92 » by daoneandonly » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:13 pm

Of course we cna improve, but chemistry takes time. Luka and KP have not had any time to gel and learn each other's games.

The big change needs to be getting rid of THJ. he's overpaid, he's a chucker, he's just not conducive to winning. I'd like to trade him in some type of deal where we get Marvin Williams. Not a flashy name, but a guy who can defend and be a solid vet presence, while not costing us much. We all know it was a poor decision to sign Powell, Kleber, and Boban. The last one was an utterly useless signing, and we should have made a chose between the other 2, and let the other walk. Then you cover that backup spot with a min guy like Kyle O'Quinn, who's just as good as Powell or Kleber. it's all about being efficient and sensible, not blind loyalty just because these guys are "family" or whatever. Especially since that same courtesy wanst extended to Tyson Chandler who helped get us a title.
agentofatlas
Senior
Posts: 560
And1: 353
Joined: May 23, 2011

Re: Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Next: Oct. 11 vs. Milwaukee (FSSW)] 

Post#93 » by agentofatlas » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:17 am

Shot creation when Doncic is not on the floor sucks.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,957
And1: 516
Joined: Apr 02, 2006
 

Re: Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Next: Oct. 11 vs. Milwaukee (FSSW)] 

Post#94 » by Captain_Obvious » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:21 am

They forgot how to dribble the ball lol

how many travel calls is that now? 6?
User avatar
ozwizard8
Veteran
Posts: 2,990
And1: 803
Joined: Nov 21, 2013
 

Re: Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Next: Oct. 11 vs. Milwaukee (FSSW)] 

Post#95 » by ozwizard8 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:37 am

Team switching too easily is an issue on D. And some players look like they're lost out there both on defense and offense. It'll take time to those guys learn each other. I didn't like Wright and his body language in 3rd. R.Carlisle is not a motivator, buddy coach so he needs to find that motivation to play hard.

Boban Marjanovic is overrated compared to his production on the court. When he subs in, all announcers, commentators talk about him almost 50% of the time. Before commercials, they definitely show some highlights of him because when he scores it usually looks cool due to height difference and stuff.
However, he lets a lot of easy buckets for the opponent team. And on offense, with all turnovers and stuff, I don't think he creates enough advantage to compensate that. The way you run offense to use Marjanovic is also kinda stagnant. Ilyasova showed his impact easily on both sides of the court helped Bucks to gain momentum.
What I am saying is he was always tall but he was only good enough to play in the NBA when he was 27. Now he's 31 getting paid $3.5m. He's not more than that so we should not expect more production. He's paid 10mpg center money and that max production you can expect from him.
We certainly need a big man on the bench who's capable to play for 25mpg and 70+games.

If somehow team polish some of those young folks, they might become a trade chip in the season. Or take another bad contract for shipping THJR.
User avatar
ozwizard8
Veteran
Posts: 2,990
And1: 803
Joined: Nov 21, 2013
 

Re: Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Next: Oct. 11 vs. Milwaukee (FSSW)] 

Post#96 » by ozwizard8 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:50 am

agentofatlas wrote:Shot creation when Doncic is not on the floor sucks.

I think it'll get better in time. Brunson/Barea and Seth Curry are good backcourt players to make things happen. Bucks team on offense seem to be memorized many plays, knows each other much well than our players. If you look on paper, I don't think they have better offensive players/creators than Mavs.
Team needs time to click on offense. Defense is still important to get on runs. Without stops, you cant build momentum and opposing defense would be 100% all the time which is not easy to attack against.
ejs78
Junior
Posts: 426
And1: 64
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Next: Oct. 11 vs. Milwaukee (FSSW)] 

Post#97 » by ejs78 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:53 am

I'll keep beating that drum with you.

Boban is nothing more than a cartoon. We could have spent a hair more on Richaun Holmes or less and had O'Quinn. There plenty of other options too.
ozwizard8 wrote:Team switching too easily is an issue on D. And some players look like they're lost out there both on defense and offense. It'll take time to those guys learn each other. I didn't like Wright and his body language in 3rd. R.Carlisle is not a motivator, buddy coach so he needs to find that motivation to play hard.

Boban Marjanovic is overrated compared to his production on the court. When he subs in, all announcers, commentators talk about him almost 50% of the time. Before commercials, they definitely show some highlights of him because when he scores it usually looks cool due to height difference and stuff.
However, he lets a lot of easy buckets for the opponent team. And on offense, with all turnovers and stuff, I don't think he creates enough advantage to compensate that. The way you run offense to use Marjanovic is also kinda stagnant. Ilyasova showed his impact easily on both sides of the court helped Bucks to gain momentum.
What I am saying is he was always tall but he was only good enough to play in the NBA when he was 27. Now he's 31 getting paid $3.5m. He's not more than that so we should not expect more production. He's paid 10mpg center money and that max production you can expect from him.
We certainly need a big man on the bench who's capable to play for 25mpg and 70+games.

If somehow team polish some of those young folks, they might become a trade chip in the season. Or take another bad contract for shipping THJR.


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Pinkyring
Head Coach
Posts: 6,417
And1: 4,009
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Next: Oct. 11 vs. Milwaukee (FSSW)] 

Post#98 » by Pinkyring » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:20 am

If these first two games are whats to come of kp i will hate him, why tf are you jacking up 7 and 9 threes in a game, work the post high post area with 3 3s a game max, sheesh its disgusting.
Pinkyring
Head Coach
Posts: 6,417
And1: 4,009
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Next: Oct. 11 vs. Milwaukee (FSSW)] 

Post#99 » by Pinkyring » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:23 am

Donnie is just really bad at his job as far as building around stars, why'd we sign Wright, he isn't a spot up shooter and lm pro two ball handlers/playmakers on the floor but to run those 2 out there together with no shooters is ridiculous
Pinkyring
Head Coach
Posts: 6,417
And1: 4,009
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Next: Oct. 11 vs. Milwaukee (FSSW)] 

Post#100 » by Pinkyring » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:26 am

And maxi has sucked every game, again, long term deals for him and dfs were just pointless

Return to Dallas Mavericks