ImageImageImage

In honor of Kobe Bryant, Mark Cuban says No. 24 will never again be worn by a Dallas Maverick

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

In honor of Kobe Bryant, Mark Cuban says No. 24 will never again be worn by a Dallas Maverick  

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:06 am

After the news of Kobe Bryant’s death in a helicopter crash near Los Angeles on Sunday, the Mavericks have decided to pay tribute to the former Lakers legend.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban declared in a statement Sunday evening that No. 24 will “never again be worn by a Dallas Maverick.”

“We are shocked and saddened by the devastating news of the passing of Kobe Bryant and his daughter, Gianna. Kobe was an ambassador for our game, a decorated legend and a global icon. Above all, he was a loving and dedicated father.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mavericks/2020/01/27/in-honor-of-kobe-bryant-mark-cuban-says-no-24-will-never-again-be-worn-by-a-dallas-maverick/?utm_source=pushly

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Re: In honor of Kobe Bryant, Mark Cuban says No. 24 will never again be worn by a Dallas Maverick  

Post#2 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:29 am

This video absolutely breaks my heart. I can’t stop watching it though. You can see the bond he and his daughter have. I also am broken up over the other little girl and her family that were on board. I don’t know if that family also had other kids (like Kobe and his wife did) but my heart and condolences go out to all who died. The pilot I’m sure also had a family and my thoughts and prayers go out to all of them.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Re: In honor of Kobe Bryant, Mark Cuban says No. 24 will never again be worn by a Dallas Maverick 

Post#3 » by dirkforpres » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:20 am

Makes me happy that Cuban announced this so quickly. Dallas won’t be the only ones to do this either. Kobe deserves this kind of respect
FIRE JASON KIDD
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#4 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:38 am

Retire the number for circulation for Kobe, but put Aguirre's number in the rafters since he was the organization's first "franchise player."
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#5 » by arkuo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:14 am

Class act.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,856

Post#6 » by dirkules_41 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:25 am

Great decision. Kobe changed the game forever and inspired an entire (my) generation of kids growing up. Heck I still say Kobe when I throw something into a trash can, the cultural impact globally that he leaves is huge.
And his career aligned perfectly with Dirks, they competed for 2 decades against each other, both becoming the only players to do such for only one team.
I think retiring his number would've arguably made sense one way or another but due to the special ties it's absolutely the right move.

To see how hard this hit Dirk, Cubes, Luka and KP amongst others on their social media says it all. I'll always remember his recent sideline exchanges with Luka.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,315

Post#7 » by Shem » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:50 am

HairyGOATee wrote:Retire the number for circulation for Kobe, but Aguirre's number in the rafters since he was the organization's first "franchise player."

Yeah, why didn't Aguire's number not get retired?
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#8 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:35 am

HairyGOATee wrote:Retire the number for circulation for Kobe, but Aguirre's number in the rafters since he was the organization's first "franchise player."

Aguirre was traded from the Mavs in his prime, mainly due to conflicts with the team and head coach. Look how many former Mavericks have been welcomed back to be part of this organization. But, you never see Aguirre around.

Dirk had the utmost respect for Kobe. Kobe was generous with his time honoring Dirk. He probably mentored more Mavericks players than Aguirre did... he might of only had to mentor 1 player to make that statement true.

In short, Kobe is a hall of famer and beloved by the Mavericks organization and Aguirre is not. I think putting Aguirre's name up in the rafters on the 24 jersey would be disrespectful to Kobe's memory.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:36 am

I'm extremely proud of Mark Cuban for making this decision.

RIP Mamba RIP Mambacita
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:12 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:

Aguirre was traded from the Mavs in his prime, mainly due to conflicts with the team and head coach. Look how many former Mavericks have been welcomed back to be part of this organization. But, you never see Aguirre around.

Dirk had the utmost respect for Kobe. Kobe was generous with his time honoring Dirk. He probably mentored more Mavericks players than Aguirre did... he might of only had to mentor 1 player to make that statement true.

In short, Kobe is a hall of famer and beloved by the Mavericks organization and Aguirre is not. I think putting Aguirre's name up in the rafters on the 24 jersey would be disrespectful to Kobe's memory.

Ionno if Aguirre was in his prime at the time he was traded, but you're right about Aguirre not being around. But has he been offered chances to be around the team? I'm sure he has, but I'd also like to read some articles about it too, because hey, maybe he hasn't.

And it could be disrespectful to Kobe's memory, but Aguirre was still an important figure in Mavs history, so I think they could get away with it for sure. Just not right now. Maybe not for the next few seasons either, but eventually, sure, I think they could.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:53 pm

This is probably something everybody here already knows, but just in case, I really want to stress the importance.

FOG IS THE MOST DANGEROUS DRIVING CONDITION.

Listening to eye witnesses describe the weather conditions where Kobe's helicopter crashed, a dense smothering fog is no joke.

I was an over-the-road truck driver, and I drove through ice, snowstorms, heavy winds, torrential downpour rain, and by far, the most dangerous day of my life behind that wheel was the 3 hours I drove through Southern Georgia in a heavy fog. I can't even really describe that to you.

As a truck driver, you can't just pull in anywhere. Visibility that day was maybe 50 feet. It really snuck up on me. Even though, I always checked weather conditions on my tablet before I put the wheels in motion. You can't know something is going to be that bad. For 3 hours, I drove at no more than maybe 8-10 mph. Always looking for a place I might be able to pull over, and every time I had an opportunity, by the time I saw the entrance, I had already passed it. The visibility was so poor.

Please, please, please take Fog conditions seriously. NEVER drive in them. Every truck driver I know fog is the thing they hate the most. It can be deadly, as we've unfortunately seen.
Ni Da Ye
Sixth Man
And1: 2,104

Post#12 » by Ni Da Ye » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:53 pm

Classy move by Cuban. As a mavs fan, I don't like it though.
IQ_baller wrote:MJ never played against quality teams in the finals

IQ_baller wrote:Replace MJ with Jimmy and Bulls win the same amount of rings

Realgm quality posts, ladies and gentlemen.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#13 » by Mr B » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:21 am

Cuban confirmed that this is an option he’s considering.

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:24 pm

Mr B wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:Retire the number for circulation for Kobe, but put Aguirre's number in the rafters since he was the organization's first "franchise player."

Cuban confirmed that this is an option he’s considering.

I like it.
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#15 » by Imon » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:24 am

This is pretty much as I expected.
Kind of like an unofficial retirement of the number 24. Kobe's jersey won't be hung in the rafters it's just that 24 won't be worn anymore.
So that means, 12, 15, 22, and 24 will be retired. 41 will obviously join the club soon.
Read on Twitter
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,105

Post#16 » by ozwizard8 » Sun Feb 2, 2020 4:46 am

Honestly, I dont understand this and I didnt like it.
Cuban had some issues with Kobe in the past. Saying Lakers should amnesty Kobe was probably too much. But then again, I didnt surprise with the statement as Lakers and Mavs never got along.
Remembering Kobe is great but "retiring" a number? Its not like he's a former Mavs player.
Also his dual number thing creates another controversy. I think Kobe torched Mavs with #8 more than #24. Maybe retire the #8?

In general, I dont get the no one wearing #24 anymore thing. Kobe was an influential player. Many player who grow up looking after him would wear #24 because of the admiration. Living his #24 makes more sense for me.
There are certain numbers reminds me certain players. 24 is definitely Kobe in my eyes. Let the players who idolized him wear it. That makes more sense to honor him.

If Cuban wants to make right for him, I think he should look for some other ways. Name some building after him, donate sth for his cause.
Pg81
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,661

Post#17 » by Pg81 » Sun Feb 2, 2020 5:23 am

I think that this is silly. Kobe is not the first to suffer a tragic early death and he never played for the Mavs. Should have kept it with a classy comment in an interview or article published somewhere. But effectively "retiring" 24? Nonsense imho. Retiring numbers in any way shape or form should be reserved solely for all time great players of a franchise.
If you're asking me who the Mavs best player is, I'd say Luka. A guy like Delon Wright probably rivals his impact though at this stage in his career. KP may as well if he gets his **** together.
GeorgeMarcus, 17/11/2019

Return to Dallas Mavericks