Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Re: Free Agency 

Post#241 » by aggerrard » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:51 am

Mr B wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Tim MacMahon: Wes Iwundu is headed to Dallas on a 2-year deal, per sources.

– via Twitter espn_macmahon

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Getting all the big name players this year.
I assume the new roster goal is also to have everyone joining be 6'6 or under.

Other than Terry at least they’re staying away from the short guards. Also by the end of this season the perimeter defense issue should be solved. Next off season go hard after an elite big and a shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good options out there next offseason with cap space. If THJ can keep the same production and efficiency as last season, i wouldn't mind signing him on a new contract - something like 3y/45-50m. Otto Porter 3y/35-45m depending on his play this season. Then S&T with a center.

Could also use the bird rights on both THJ and Richardson after signing Otto Porter 3y/40m and Gobert in a S&T throwing something like Powell, DFS and a 1st to Utah. :lol:
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#242 » by Mr B » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:59 am

aggerrard wrote:
Mr B wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:Getting all the big name players this year.
I assume the new roster goal is also to have everyone joining be 6'6 or under.

Other than Terry at least they’re staying away from the short guards. Also by the end of this season the perimeter defense issue should be solved. Next off season go hard after an elite big and a shooter.

Good options out there next offseason with cap space. If THJ can keep the same production and efficiency as last season, i wouldn't mind signing him on a new contract - something like 3y/45-50m. Otto Porter 3y/35-45m depending on his play this season. Then S&T with a center.

Could also use the bird rights on both THJ and Richardson after signing Otto Porter 3y/40m and Gobert in a S&T throwing something like Powell, DFS and a 1st to Utah. :lol:

Might have a better shot at just signing Gobert and trading for Porter or a guy like Evan Fournier.

Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,982

Post#243 » by Apz » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:39 am

Gobert wants to get payed. Not paying loads of cap to a center, unless we trade away KP for some reason
Mr B
RealGM

Post#244 » by Mr B » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:50 am

Apz wrote:Gobert wants to get payed. Not paying loads of cap to a center, unless we trade away KP for some reason

Who is the better option?

Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,982

Post#245 » by Apz » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:52 am

At center? KP. Gobert wants a max contract, cant have someone on a max for the bench
Mr B
RealGM

Post#246 » by Mr B » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:20 am

Apz wrote:At center? KP. Gobert wants a max contract, cant have someone on a max for the bench

Well rumors have been that will be the Mavs target if Giannis isn’t an option. It would require KP to move back to PF which is not ideal however that’s a lot of talent and Carlisle is too good of a coach to not make it work. If their perimeter defense improves this year like they’re expecting adding an elite defensive center can only help. With solid perimeter defense and two elite rim protectors they could challenge really any of the top teams. Plus if/when you lose KP you still have a solid defensive center on the floor.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#247 » by HMFFL » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:57 am

Should we pursue Marc Gasol?

Golden State are pursuing him.

something47
Junior
And1: 30

Post#248 » by something47 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:40 am

At this point it seem like we are looking for someone willing to take a one year MLE since everything is going down in 2021. I would be happy if we took a flyer on Harry Giles or hernangomez. Both seem like high upside options that could end up being solid role players.

Random question but with all the teams signing people on two year or big contract, are there fewer teams that will now have MAX cap space in 2021?
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#249 » by arkuo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:05 am

Mavs sign Wes Iwundu. 6'6 wing defender. 3&D guy. Only 25 yrs old. Vet minimum deal.

Will replace MKG in the bench. No big deal.

For those like me who arent familiar with Wes, here's a clip from a couple of months ago.

jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#250 » by jpengland » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:17 am

Iwundu is a decent defender, abysmal offensively.

However, he's capable of making 3s, just nothing else and doesn't fire them frequently enough. If he can literally learn to move off ball, find spot ups and fire without hesitation then given his defensive chops he could be a useful rotation guy, especially in the RS.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#251 » by JJP » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:04 pm

I think it's best to compare Iwundu to what was the back of our rotation last year. Jackson was neither good defensively or offensively. Wright had become too cautious and was at best a net-neutral. Other offensive players like Broekhoff are only as good as their shot, but at least those types have one skill. At the end of last season, we had nothing positive to put on the floor. The end of our rotation was useless.

While the Mavs begin to work a defensive culture into our system, it's important to remember the defensive players we drafted and signed, Bey, Green, and Hinton, and Richardson, of those only Richardson has ever played in an NBA game. So Iwandu is important in that regard. Early on, he may be more reliable in some situations.

Although Johnson's metrics don't show him to be an outstanding defender, he can hold his own. Plus it appears on paper that he can play a small-ball center and look like he means it. I think all of this work on defense and getting tougher is cumulative. The Mavericks have often tried to emphasize defense with little success - mostly because they players we had simply were never built that way. Having several players now that do that organically (and are young enough to make an impact) is a great start to this run. This was the year to bring that in. Luca and KP need players like this.

All in all, this FA has been successful in doing just what it set out to do. The Mavs got younger, faster, and better defensively. Our perimeter shooting is better on paper since there don't appear to be any weak links. Plus it all had the added feature of creating even more cap room next season. If Giannis isn't there, all sorts of other options will be available to us.

So hat tip to the front office. Now it's up to the coaches and players.
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#252 » by JES12 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:58 pm

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but with KP and DP both going to be out at the beginning of the season and WCS opting out and Boban being a limited minute guy, I was wondering the feasibility of signing a Marc Gasol. Can he be had with the remainder of our MLE or is he more expensive? Think he will sign a 1 year deal? What other options do we have to man the middle?
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,932

Post#253 » by Archx » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:07 pm

JES12 wrote:Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but with KP and DP both going to be out at the beginning of the season and WCS opting out and Boban being a limited minute guy, I was wondering the feasibility of signing a Marc Gasol. Can he be had with the remainder of our MLE or is he more expensive? Think he will sign a 1 year deal? What other options do we have to man the middle?

Powell won't be out but will be on a minute restriction probably. Gasol could barely move already last season i'm not a fan of signing him for this team. And at the end of his career, he probably would prefer to play for a real contender anyway .
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#254 » by HMFFL » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:15 pm

Mavs planning to re-sign JJ Barea for next season

JJ Barea has spent 11 of his 14 NBA seasons so far with the Dallas Mavericks. Now, Mark Cuban and Co. reportedly want to bring the fan favorite back for a 12th, per Brad Townsend of the Dallas Morning News. https://clutchpoints.com/mavs-rumors-dallas-plans-re-sign-jj-barea-for-next-season/amp/

JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#255 » by JJP » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:26 pm

JES12 wrote:Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but with KP and DP both going to be out at the beginning of the season and WCS opting out and Boban being a limited minute guy, I was wondering the feasibility of signing a Marc Gasol. Can he be had with the remainder of our MLE or is he more expensive? Think he will sign a 1 year deal? What other options do we have to man the middle?

Right now there's fierce competition over Gasol, but none of the teams appear to be the Mavericks. The Lakers are one. Raptors and Warriors are the other two.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#256 » by JD45 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:25 pm

Hearing noting on WCS. And still some other Cs on the market. I think he will be lucky if the Mavs give him a one year deal equal to what he opted out of.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#257 » by JJP » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:49 pm

JD45 wrote:Hearing noting on WCS. And still some other Cs on the market. I think he will be lucky if the Mavs give him a one year deal equal to what he opted out of.

Sometimes he's not even making the list available free agents. Ouch.

This from John Hollinger on Iwundu.

Mavs: Dallas got a minimum deal for Wesley Iwundu, who BORD$ rates as a $4 million value; between him and Trey Burke the Mavs have had a nice weekend of value shopping. I was surprised Orlando opted to give a qualifying offer to Gary Clark and sign Dwayne Bacon when they could have kept Iwundu instead. He’s not a great player but he’s useful. Nothing has been reported yet but one suspects the second year of this deal will be a player option.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#258 » by Darren » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:56 pm

I expect Thon Maker to be the next Mavs signing. Young athletic center with great size and potential. If the major weakness is rebounding, I expect the Mavs to be able to withstand it. The Mavs guards rebound very well. At 7-foot-1 with 7-foot-3 wingspan, Maker should find a Diop or DJ Benga type of career turning around opportunities for the Mavs. Among the possible fitting centers, Maker is the youngest and possibly at much lower price. The Mavs is by nature an international team. I think this is a good perfect match. KP need to play with someone who can move the feet and protect the rim as well. Thon Maker may fit really well in this role.
Rumors is Thon Maker play a lot of guard before coming to the NBA. I think the Mavs should be somewhat interested. At least, more interesting than Tyson Chandler or Aaron Baynes.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#259 » by Darren » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:28 pm

Henry Turner
Starter
And1: 97

Post#260 » by Henry Turner » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:41 pm

arkuo wrote:
Henry Turner wrote:I’d love to sign favors, would fit in nicely.
If there is any chance for collins, offer anything but luka and kp.

Favors went back to Utah.

Yes, v good for them.
That's the issue I have with our offseason. Looks like we got better but our direct competition did as well. Dont see us being in the top 4 in the west.
"I can promise to be sincere, but not to be impartial" Goethe

Return to Dallas Mavericks