ImageImageImage

The Mavs should make a hard push for Holmes!

jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,564

Re: The Mavs should make a hard push for Holmes! 

Post#21 » by jpengland » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:46 am

I'll say what I said in the other thread. Holmes and KP simply cannot see the floor together in the playoffs. If you add Holmes you have 50 plus million (60 if you don't move Powell, too) tied up in in the 5 position (which is the cheapest position to fill with league average players).

Holmes is also a mediocre (at best) defensive player.

He's a hard pass for me. If KP got moved for perimeter help and he was available for MLE type money, then I would be happy.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,826

Post#22 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:42 am

I prefer Noel at low price than pay 20M Holmes...
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,564

Post#23 » by jpengland » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:12 am

41Dirk41 wrote:I prefer Noel at low price than pay 20M Holmes...

I liked Nerlens when he was here (he had some very bad off court advice) and if he could swallow his pride and come back he's a very good rim defender and vertical threat. He's also a 20mpg full energy type player which sits better alongside KP as you have few minutes where they need to share the court.

That said, any more than 5 - 6m on a back up C is a waste of money IMO and I don't know we get him that cheap as he could just go to a contender.
mpoo_sin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,130

Post#24 » by mpoo_sin » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:24 am

Mr B wrote:I like Holmes and would love to add him however I’d be in the phone with Memphis asking what they want for Valanciunas. He’s an expiring contract with $14M due this year. They are wanting to move Jackson to center and might be looking to move Valanciunas. His skill set fits the team and he’s a bigger heavier guy than Holmes. I’d feel more comfortable having Valanciunas to go up against Jokic, Gobert, and Ayton. Valanciunas isn’t going to get pushed around.

Would Maxi be enough to entice the Grizzlies to give up Valanciunas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valanciunas is another great suggestion! At times he was MEM best player this last season. Although the pairing with Porzingis is more difficult because they are similarily slow footed.

Holmes has the advantage that he can defend guards on switches very well.

I would not touch Noel again. He is a similar type of defender like Porzingis without the shooting and with less size.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#25 » by Darren » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:57 am

dirkforpres wrote:I’d love to have Holmes, but 20 million a year for him is a huge gamble for a guy that has been a good stats/bad team guy his entire career. He’s worth a Christian Wood salary… no more, no less

If the Mavs can't land Kawhi, I'd frankly turn to Batum, Howard, Ntilikina and Rose. I don't think it is difficult to sign 3 among those choices with 20M.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#26 » by Darren » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:59 am

I'm not keen on Collins, Markkanen and Noel. I don't think highly of skinny bigs on playoff floor. Easily Batum outplays the trio as a C on playoff floor.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,019

Post#27 » by Mr B » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:22 pm

mpoo_sin wrote:
Mr B wrote:I like Holmes and would love to add him however I’d be in the phone with Memphis asking what they want for Valanciunas. He’s an expiring contract with $14M due this year. They are wanting to move Jackson to center and might be looking to move Valanciunas. His skill set fits the team and he’s a bigger heavier guy than Holmes. I’d feel more comfortable having Valanciunas to go up against Jokic, Gobert, and Ayton. Valanciunas isn’t going to get pushed around.

Would Maxi be enough to entice the Grizzlies to give up Valanciunas?

Valanciunas is another great suggestion! At times he was MEM best player this last season. Although the pairing with Porzingis is more difficult because they are similarily slow footed.

Holmes has the advantage that he can defend guards on switches very well.

I would not touch Noel again. He is a similar type of defender like Porzingis without the shooting and with less size.

Eventually KP would need to be moved. I don’t think he would necessarily need to be moved right away. Remember in 2011 the Mavs had 2 centers, Tyson Chandler and Brendan Haywood. Haywood was getting hair significant money too be backup Tyson. I think for at least 1 year it could work with both on the team.

ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#28 » by ejs78 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:38 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

I was all for him when he left the Suns.....Mavs resigned Powell to double of what Holmes got

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#29 » by arkuo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:29 pm

If you do the math, Jrich opts in, Mavs have 25M to spend. Let's say Holmes takes 15 to 18M to sign, that leaves around 7 to 10M for a wing plus the MLE.

Doubtful that THJ agrees to take the 10M. He probably walks. Mavs need to get wings for 10M. Maybe Batum for 10M and another guy for the MLE.

Unless Holmes can be had for a sign and trade, that would be awesome. If the Kings can be convinced to take Powell + a 1st rounder, that would be great. Since they are bound to lose Holmes anyway. If not to the Mavs, some other team like the Lakers would swoop in.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,826

Post#30 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:37 pm

Use almost all our cap space to sign Holmes should be a disaster...S&T could be good.
MrOrange
Senior
And1: 417

Post#31 » by MrOrange » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:28 pm

KP is out of the picture in terms of trade until the trade deadline next season. And then depending on his performance and circumstances beyond the team's influence. I can't really believe some folks put KP in the trade. Impossible for various reasons. Would Holmes be good? Who knows, but the only cap space pieces that Mavs can operate is the money in reserve + unclear future of a couple of players. Not a major trade.
mpoo_sin
Bench Warmer

Post#32 » by mpoo_sin » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:54 pm

MrOrange wrote:KP is out of the picture in terms of trade until the trade deadline next season. And then depending on his performance and circumstances beyond the team's influence. I can't really believe some folks put KP in the trade. Impossible for various reasons. Would Holmes be good? Who knows, but the only cap space pieces that Mavs can operate is the money in reserve + unclear future of a couple of players. Not a major trade.

I agree in regards to Porzingis. It would be foolish to trade him now. Give him next season to show if he belongs and/or to up his trade value.
This team can be incredible if the nail the offseason (for once).
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 410

Post#34 » by boogiezen » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:42 am

mpoo_sin wrote:https://theathletic.com/2715834/2021/07/22/luka-doncic-accelerated-the-mavericks-timeline-heres-how-it-impacts-their-offseason-strategy/?source=user-shared-article

Interesting article that tackles the topic of this thread!

Can you post the entire article?
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
mpoo_sin
Bench Warmer

Post#35 » by mpoo_sin » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:04 am

boogiezen wrote:
mpoo_sin wrote:https://theathletic.com/2715834/2021/07/22/luka-doncic-accelerated-the-mavericks-timeline-heres-how-it-impacts-their-offseason-strategy/?source=user-shared-article

Interesting article that tackles the topic of this thread!

Can you post the entire article?

I do not think this is legal. : /
Sry
mpoo_sin
Bench Warmer

Post#36 » by mpoo_sin » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:47 pm

"Mavericks Abandon Kawhi Leonard Plans, Will Focus On Kyle Lowry, Tim Hardaway Jr.

JUL 27, 2021 1:41 PM"

Yessssssssss
So glad that the Mavericks are not going for him!
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#37 » by Apz » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:26 pm

Apparently holmes want 80/4 . Hope we dont get into that trap
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#38 » by ejs78 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:49 pm

2 things have happened

Hornets who were rumored to be interested in Holmes traded for Plumlee

Kings just aquired Triston Thompson

I'm a huge Holmes fan gonna be happy for him wherever he goes.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#39 » by HMFFL » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:34 pm

ejs78 wrote:2 things have happened

Hornets who were rumored to be interested in Holmes traded for Plumlee

Kings just aquired Triston Thompson

I'm a huge Holmes fan gonna be happy for him wherever he goes.

I will be happy for him regardless if we sign him or not. I believe the Kings have an edge over most teams since he's expressed that they gave him his chance and he tool advantage of it.
He would be a great addition to our team.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#40 » by Apz » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:15 am

Ye but kings cant pay him much since they apparently only got early birdrights. Read somewhere what max they could offer him, cant remember exactly but where low, like 10m or something. If cap teams runs out i could accept maybe 13m. At the same time, as long as we got kp holmes would be backup, so how much we actually want to put into that?

Return to Dallas Mavericks