Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,929

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Nets (Oct 27) 

Post#101 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:42 am

BeiBeau wrote:
ejs78 wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:41Dirk41 when you see this you have to say one nice thing about Dwight because of his performance tonight.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

He has to. It’s only fair. If he can’t do it that he’d have to admit he’s not a Mavs fan and is just a Dwight hater. Low key Dwight and D Live were kinda the guys to truest help Luka out tonight.

After a perfect game by Powell... +/-... -6 for him :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can't understand what this means. But YOU (not me) deserve it.
We are done, now Kidd have the rights to play that scrub all this year too... I'm happy for the Powell lovers, not so much for Mavs fans.

Luka save the game. Again. What a player.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,184

Post#102 » by daoneandonly » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:13 am

If Green had 1/2 the heart, drive, work ethic Powell does, he'd probably be this elite role player some think he is. But now that he got his guaranteed money, this is the Josh Green we'll see moving forward.

But happy for the W and seeing DFS
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#103 » by daoneandonly » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:14 am

dirkules_41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Josh Green with more turnovers than assists, rebounds, blocks, steals. But yea, he's worth 14 mil a year

He sure is, one day you might just get it. The last few minutes would tell anyone who understands basketball just a little bit why he is.

Probably wouldn't have needed to come to the last few minutes to beat a play in East team without key starting players if Green wasn't straight trash for most of it
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#104 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:29 am

Josh was awful for 3 quarters but his annoying defense changed the game at the end.

BTW we need a coach badly. ASAP.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 861

Post#105 » by Darren » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:39 am

41Dirk41 wrote:Josh was awful for 3 quarters but his annoying defense changed the game at the end.

Mavs gets outcoached again. Allowing 48% from deep and bet for a win is difficult. Lively does not play well outside of the paint. As suggested earlier, zone defense is a must. This bare win looks like a loss. Kidd should be on waiver wire now. This is the same Milwaukee outcome. The Mavs wins due to Luka entirely.
Darren
RealGM

Post#106 » by Darren » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:40 am

Grant William is modern day Jet Terry who's streaky on the floor with a big mouth off the court.
Darren
RealGM

Post#107 » by Darren » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:48 am

Being a extremely big player against a small ball team while only grabbing 2 rebounds, something must be wrong in positioning. And offensive rebounding effort is lacking.

The Mavs is really bad rebounding and defending the perimeter.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#108 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:55 am

Darren wrote:Being a extremely big player against a small ball team while only grabbing 2 rebounds, something must be wrong in positioning. And offensive rebounding effort is lacking.

It's impossible to be a good rebounding team when Powell and Kleber play 39 combined minutes and mostly at C... Unfortunately a 19yo kid can't be the solution every game.

But i don't see where is the problem, Powell lovers are happy for this W.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 367

Post#109 » by Michaellam1987 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:16 am

41Dirk41 wrote:
Darren wrote:Being a extremely big player against a small ball team while only grabbing 2 rebounds, something must be wrong in positioning. And offensive rebounding effort is lacking.

It's impossible to be a good rebounding team when Powell and Kleber play 39 combined minutes and mostly at C... Unfortunately a 19yo kid can't be the solution every game.

I did watch the whole game, Lively clearly need to improve his rebounding ability. However, Lively has a quick feet, combined with his length, can really affect the opponents a lot.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,467

Post#110 » by Archx » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:01 am

Michaellam1987 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:

I did watch the whole game, Lively clearly need to improve his rebounding ability. However, Lively has a quick feet, combined with his length, can really affect the opponents a lot.

Lively can move that's for sure. He was able to stay with quicker wings when switched on to in PnR. He's really impressive. But for some reason Kidd went with Maxi over him.

Game changed for the worst, specially their defense when Maxi and Powell came on. Granted Powell played great but Nets started attacking the rim more without Lively in there. They were insane from outside but suddenly Mavs had no one in the paint area because Kidd thought he had to match the Nets for some idiotic reason.

If we like it or not Lively in only 2 games has proven that he can actually be a solid rim and paint defender... now all Mavs need is an actual coach who can connect everything together.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#111 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:08 am

Archx wrote:
Michaellam1987 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:

Lively can move that's for sure. He was able to stay with quicker wings when switched on to in PnR. He's really impressive. But for some reason Kidd went with Maxi over him.

Game changed for the worst, specially their defense when Maxi and Powell came on. Granted Powell played great but Nets started attacking the rim more without Lively in there. They were insane from outside but suddenly Mavs had no one in the paint area because Kidd thought he had to match the Nets for some idiotic reason.

If we like it or not Lively in only 2 games has proven that he can actually be a solid rim and paint defender... now all Mavs need is an actual coach who can connect everything together.

Ben freakin Simmons was not scared to shoot over Powell... Ben "i can't shoot" Simmons. OMG.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,841

Post#112 » by Bob8 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:42 am

BliscoSantos wrote:On a positive at least the Mavs are winning tight games,seems like last year they lost almost all of them

And the negative,Kidd's rotations suck...seems like he's stuck to his rotations,can't adjust, can't set up plays for Players...he's Just letting Luka and Kai try to make something happen....most of the other Players don't have the basketball IQ those two have and need set plays to know where to be ,what to do if D adjusts

2 wins against average teams, 2x Luka in god mode in Q4. It looks exactly like last season and you can't play RS like that.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,841

Post#113 » by Bob8 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:48 am

tleikheen wrote:Exum should try not to score because 2 games in a row he scored a basket and immediately gets yanked . The rest of the game I look at alll these minutes going to guys who cant get or create a basket .
Mavs have to cut out the loyalty to guys that are struggling before our eyes.

Exum still can't shoot, so he basically can play only non Luka's minutes. But I would for sure prefer him over DJJ.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,553

Post#114 » by Mavrelous » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:50 am

Darren wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:Josh was awful for 3 quarters but his annoying defense changed the game at the end.

Mavs gets outcoached again. Allowing 48% from deep and bet for a win is difficult. Lively does not play well outside of the paint. As suggested earlier, zone defense is a must. This bare win looks like a loss. Kidd should be on waiver wire now. This is the same Milwaukee outcome. The Mavs wins due to Luka entirely.

It had nothing to do with coaching, just like the SA game, sometimes players hit shots that are unlikely for them to hit, Sochan, Tre Jones, Lonnie Walker (remember the PO, GSW also gambled on him missing and went home because of it), Royce O'Neale hitting shot in the last mili-second before the buzzer.
You don't mess around for 25 minutes to be at the mercy of shooting luck against bad teams, remember the Detroit game last year when Kylian Hayes caught fire? Mavs had the Nets on the ropes in the 2nd quarter and squandered it with mismirizing TOs/misses in a series of bizarre lineups, Mavs also had short and injury riddled training camp, main rotation players need to gain familiarity with each, if you have garbage time, you try these bizarre lineups, your go-to play is Luka/Kyrie with Lively P&R, it killed the Spurs in the 1st game, it wasn't even tried this game!
This isn't new, this happened also in the 1st 3 months of 21/22 season, all of last season, and it's still happening now, this needs to stop, Spurs and Nets should've been much easier opponents that Mavs made them.
Josh Green can attack the basket from the weak side, he can't be the main driver, you're just doing him injustice, THJ and Maxi shouldn't be put in situations they have to drive and make decision, Mavs have 2 max on payroll for that.
I think this roster is good enough to do great things, but it need to be approached reasonably, Kidd is anything but reasonable...
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 877

Post#115 » by Teffer10 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:49 pm

Powell had a good game but for some reason I don't necessarily consider that a good thing.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,553

Post#116 » by Mavrelous » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:07 pm

My takeaways:
The good:
- Another win, if you remeber, last year Mavs started with 3 losses in clutch games, Suns, Pelicans and that absurd Thunder loss.
- Second game where the team looks composed in clutch time, this didn't happen last year, I know it was Luka heorics this game, but last years it looked even worse.
- Maxi was better than the opener, especially on the perimeter, Powell also played well on the perimeter.
- Luka is ON, and he looks happy and in shape.
- Offense is much less Luka centric, Luka was the closer this game, but the ball moved around a lot, and he didn't pound it for 90% of the possesions he's on the floor, and you can see he was much more energetic in late game because of it.

The bad:
- This is no point in playing DJJ.
- THJ should be reigned in, FAST!
- Green was bad on offense, had his usally mistakes on defense.
- Kyrie remains off, even with THJ shenanigans, this wouldn't have been a close game if Kyrie shot below average.
- The switch all defense isn't working, just like last year, but this game, the culprit was some unlikely hits of players you play off of, against the Spurs it was a layup drill, I was more encouraged by the non-Lively minutes defense than Spurs game.

Off to Memphis, they are injured, but they are 0-2 and dangerous, almost beat DEN...
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 37,038

Post#117 » by Dirk » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:17 pm

Teffer10 wrote:Powell had a good game but for some reason I don't necessarily consider that a good thing.

It's a great thing. Helped get a W.

It's good to know you're paying a guy that can play.
60/21/10
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#118 » by daoneandonly » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:37 pm

Memphis will be tough. Just a well run team that knows how to draft. Bane always has a chip on his shoulder against us, so comes to play. Too bad we don't have a guy drafted that year to match up
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,868

Post#119 » by leolozon » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:54 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
leolozon wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Josh Green with more turnovers than assists, rebounds, blocks, steals. But yea, he's worth 14 mil a year

Really Green? What about Irving for over 40m when Dinwiddie is playing better than him?

Hated the Kyrie trade and I can’t wait to be proven wrong.

I wasn't a fan either, but we have more Green fans here than Ky

Honestly, I’m not sure why I answered considering 14m is nothing nowadays and it’s a obviously a great deal for a rotation player with some upside. Anyone complaining about the deal must have a bias.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 877

Post#120 » by Teffer10 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:00 pm

Dirk wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:Powell had a good game but for some reason I don't necessarily consider that a good thing.

It's a great thing. Helped get a W.

It's good to know you're paying a guy that can play.

Powell has a good game means he gets more PT next game.
Same issue with Hardaway.
Is that a good thing for a team with deep PO aspirations?

We saw the exact same thing last season and we saw how that turned out.

Powell outplaying Lively screams trouble for this team no matter how you look at it.

Return to Dallas Mavericks