Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,102

Re: Dallas Mavericks 2023/24 Trade thread 

Post#1281 » by daoneandonly » Mon Feb 5, 2024 3:51 pm

BliscoSantos wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:The fact that Mavs have been active in the trade market (Wiggins,Kuzma, PJ Washington,...) and yet have failled to make a trade probably means that they don't have the assets other teams desire or they're overvalueing their own...these team constructed as it is ain't going nowhere...Luka,Kyrie and Lively should be the only untouchable ones in a trade, others can be included for upgrades(needs)... it's time to tear it down, we've seen how this team plays without Luka and without Kyrie Luka has to average over 40 Just to keep it a close game...the team can beat anybody Just when they get hot from the three, there's not much else most Players can do

I dont think Kyrie should be untouchable. The guy is just way too unreliable

Kyrie should be untouchable cause you won't get anything for him now... there's no point in selling him low,like KP, since when he's played he's been great...his biggest problem are the nagging injuries,but thats what happens with so many milage...even with Kyrie this team isn't good,too many holes in the roster...besides,you need him cause Luka is carrying way too much load right now...and all the people crying about Dinwiddie...he was good in their WCF run,when they had Luka +Brunson...when he was suppose to take over from Brunson he couldnt...he was a backup,not a starter

I agree to a certain extent, but not where we can say mileage is the reason for Kyrie's injuries. He's been like this his entire career, and clearly there are injuries players can play through where he is not. He just doesnt care enough to.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,225

Post#1282 » by Archx » Mon Feb 5, 2024 4:08 pm

BliscoSantos wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:The fact that Mavs have been active in the trade market (Wiggins,Kuzma, PJ Washington,...) and yet have failled to make a trade probably means that they don't have the assets other teams desire or they're overvalueing their own...these team constructed as it is ain't going nowhere...Luka,Kyrie and Lively should be the only untouchable ones in a trade, others can be included for upgrades(needs)... it's time to tear it down, we've seen how this team plays without Luka and without Kyrie Luka has to average over 40 Just to keep it a close game...the team can beat anybody Just when they get hot from the three, there's not much else most Players can do

Kyrie should be untouchable cause you won't get anything for him now... there's no point in selling him low,like KP, since when he's played he's been great...his biggest problem are the nagging injuries,but thats what happens with so many milage...even with Kyrie this team isn't good,too many holes in the roster...besides,you need him cause Luka is carrying way too much load right now...and all the people crying about Dinwiddie...he was good in their WCF run,when they had Luka +Brunson...when he was suppose to take over from Brunson he couldnt...he was a backup,not a starter

I firmly believe if Mavs had Lively instead of Powell they would have ended playing in the finals that year. Or if Bullock didn't shoot 0/8 from 3 in that pivotal game when Mavs had a chance to really go up on GSW.

But they had THJ, Brunson, Luka and Dinwiddie in rotiation on guard spots and even Bullock if you want. I think the depth itself was very underrated. The only thing lacking obviously was a proper center who could be able to stop, or at least outrebound Looney.

So, my point is, having depth even with a guy like Dinwiddie is always nice to have. I'm not sure, given how Hardy has played, he's ready to fill that spot for now. So the only reliable guys are Luka, Kyrie, THJ and Exum. But Kyrie and Exum are rarely playing now and THJ is...well... he's a lottery, you never know what you'll get from him from game to game.
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer
And1: 719

Post#1283 » by BliscoSantos » Mon Feb 5, 2024 4:23 pm

Archx wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

I firmly believe if Mavs had Lively instead of Powell they would have ended playing in the finals that year. Or if Bullock didn't shoot 0/8 from 3 in that pivotal game when Mavs had a chance to really go up on GSW.

But they had THJ, Brunson, Luka and Dinwiddie in rotiation on guard spots and even Bullock if you want. I think the depth itself was very underrated. The only thing lacking obviously was a proper center who could be able to stop, or at least outrebound Looney.

So, my point is, having depth even with a guy like Dinwiddie is always nice to have. I'm not sure, given how Hardy has played, he's ready to fill that spot for now. So the only reliable guys are Luka, Kyrie, THJ and Exum. But Kyrie and Exum are rarely playing now and THJ is...well... he's a lottery, you never know what you'll get from him from game to game.

They wouldn't be going to the finals even with Lively,there was Just too big of a difference in talent...and btw that was peak Dodo,peak Bullock , Dinwiddie,Maxi...since then all of them have gotten considerably worse,well maybe except for Dodo(he's almost the same, a Little worse)

https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2022-nba-western-conference-finals-mavericks-vs-warriors.html
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,225

Post#1284 » by Archx » Mon Feb 5, 2024 6:12 pm

BliscoSantos wrote:
Archx wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:

They wouldn't be going to the finals even with Lively,there was Just too big of a difference in talent...and btw that was peak Dodo,peak Bullock , Dinwiddie,Maxi...since then all of them have gotten considerably worse,well maybe except for Dodo(he's almost the same, a Little worse)

https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2022-nba-western-conference-finals-mavericks-vs-warriors.html

Maxi and Luka were basically left alone in the paint to do the heavy lifting. Powell was outmatched vs Looney, which was embarrassing to watch. Klay and Curry were cooking Brunson, Dinwiddie and, by then, tired Bullock on perimeter.

With better coaching aproach and a much better center option, this could completely change since Mavs wouldn't be needing to chase GSW players all over the floor and GSW wouldn't be able to exploit Mavs weaknesses which were rebounds and rim protection. And some of these games were much closer than it looks on paper. We all said it at that time, interestingly enough GSW gave Mavs more problems under the rim than on the perimeter, which was GSW strength.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,868

Post#1285 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 6:50 pm

I'm not even sure to trade Green with Exum always injuried...maybe no moves and extra rest this summer for Luka+fire Kidd is the best case scenario for us.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#1286 » by daoneandonly » Mon Feb 5, 2024 7:15 pm

If CHarlotte would do PJ Washington & Nic Richards for Josh Green and Rishaun Holmes, Dallas should definitely jump on it. Then see if you can turn Williams into a backup PG who actually plays since the Australian duo of Exum and Irving cant play through injuries, and we have a much more balanced team.
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer

Post#1287 » by BliscoSantos » Mon Feb 5, 2024 8:26 pm

Pacers and Mavs interested in Wiggins...Pacers can offer a better package which Means probably another Player gone for Mavs...yes,I know Wiggins is poor this year but it's not like he can't turn it around...Markanen did it,Randle did it...he would definetely be the third most talented Player on the Mavs,his size would help on the wing
StoneIsland
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#1288 » by StoneIsland » Mon Feb 5, 2024 9:07 pm

I just read somewhere on facebook that Mavs and Bucks have been discussing Williams for Portis. If that is the case, I think Mavs should jump on it.
kacey ring
Sixth Man
And1: 901

Post#1289 » by kacey ring » Mon Feb 5, 2024 9:21 pm

StoneIsland wrote:I just read somewhere on facebook that Mavs and Bucks have been discussing Williams for Portis. If that is the case, I think Mavs should jump on it.

The 1 for 1 swap checks out on ESPN trade machine. But I would imagine Bucks would want a little more. Maybe we only need to tack on a second round pick.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#1290 » by daoneandonly » Mon Feb 5, 2024 9:34 pm

kacey ring wrote:
StoneIsland wrote:I just read somewhere on facebook that Mavs and Bucks have been discussing Williams for Portis. If that is the case, I think Mavs should jump on it.

The 1 for 1 swap checks out on ESPN trade machine. But I would imagine Bucks would want a little more. Maybe we only need to tack on a second round pick.

One for one definitely makes sense, but I wouldnt add too much incentive if that is what is required. Grant Williams has been a flop
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer

Post#1291 » by BliscoSantos » Mon Feb 5, 2024 10:33 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
kacey ring wrote:

One for one definitely makes sense, but I wouldnt add too much incentive if that is what is required. Grant Williams has been a flop

Yeah I think Bucks would want more...I wouldn't give more than one second rounder...it's better to go Grant for PJ
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,613

Post#1292 » by Maverick41 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 10:57 pm

Stein updated his substack that Bucks wouldn't do the Portis - GWill swap straight up, they need more. Maybe something like:

DAL Receives: Portis + Connaugton + filler of choice (for salary matching)
MIL Receives: J. Green + G. Williams

DAL gets a great backup big. Portis can play the 4 and 5. He's up there for one of the toughest guys in the league, is a good rebounder and can shoot. PatCo offers some wing depth on the team with a little bit more size. I'm honestly not sure this makes us better but I do like getting 2 more "reliable" vets rather then the insanely inconsistent guys going out.

MIL gets some athleticism at the wing with Green and add Grant who slots really well at the 4 when. Both add some youth and defense.
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer

Post#1293 » by BliscoSantos » Mon Feb 5, 2024 11:09 pm

Maverick41 wrote:Stein updated his substack that Bucks wouldn't do the Portis - GWill swap straight up, they need more. Maybe something like:

DAL Receives: Portis + Connaugton + filler of choice (for salary matching)
MIL Receives: J. Green + G. Williams

DAL gets a great backup big. Portis can play the 4 and 5. He's up there for one of the toughest guys in the league, is a good rebounder and can shoot. PatCo offers some wing depth on the team with a little bit more size. I'm honestly not sure this makes us better but I do like getting 2 more "reliable" vets rather then the insanely inconsistent guys going out.

MIL gets some athleticism at the wing with Green and add Grant who slots really well at the 4 when. Both add some youth and defense.

Green for Portis is an overpay since CHA wants Green...maybe they'd be willing to throw in a sweetener for the Mavs
Green seems to have some interest around the league, its just that the Mavs were unwilling to include him cause they think highly of him
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#1294 » by Maverick41 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 11:16 pm

BliscoSantos wrote:Green for Portis is an overpay since CHA wants Green...maybe they'd be willing to throw in a sweetener for the Mavs
Green seems to have some interest around the league, its just that the Mavs were unwilling to include him cause they think highly of him

Yeah I'd rather do a PJ for Green + filler swap too but we gotta realize that we're not the only suitor out there. Other teams want PJ too and many of them can outbid us if needed. Got to have Plan B, C, D, E and F. Also I'd be shocked if CHA is the one that throws a sweetener in a swap. PJ is a better player then Green.
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer

Post#1295 » by BliscoSantos » Mon Feb 5, 2024 11:21 pm

Maverick41 wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:Green for Portis is an overpay since CHA wants Green...maybe they'd be willing to throw in a sweetener for the Mavs

Yeah I'd rather do a PJ for Green + filler swap too but we gotta realize that we're not the only suitor out there. Other teams want PJ too and many of them can outbid us if needed. Got to have Plan B, C, D, E and F. Also I'd be shocked if CHA is the one that throws a sweetener in a swap. PJ is a better player then Green.

So far it said Mavs and Clippers...and I doubt Clippers have a better package...and since CHA apparently wants Green a deal could be made
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#1296 » by Maverick41 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 11:35 pm

BliscoSantos wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:

So far it said Mavs and Clippers...and I doubt Clippers have a better package...and since CHA apparently wants Green a deal could be made

I hope so. I've been around way too many TDLs to know that the teams with ammo tend to be more willing on TDL day. Teams like OKC and NY for example could easily insert them into these conversations and come out with a better offer if they wanted to. They also would benefit quite a bit with a guy like him, especially with Randle (shoulder) and Jalen Williams (ankle) out.

Teams like us that don't have the treasurer chest of assets need to have other deals lined up or we're just gonna come up empty handed. We're not the only team out there looking for backup bigs or big wings.
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer

Post#1297 » by BliscoSantos » Mon Feb 5, 2024 11:43 pm

Maverick41 wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:Yeah I'd rather do a PJ for Green + filler swap too but we gotta realize that we're not the only suitor out there. Other teams want PJ too and many of them can outbid us if needed. Got to have Plan B, C, D, E and F. Also I'd be shocked if CHA is the one that throws a sweetener in a swap. PJ is a better player then Green.

I hope so. I've been around way too many TDLs to know that the teams with ammo tend to be more willing on TDL day. Teams like OKC and NY for example could easily insert them into these conversations and come out with a better offer if they wanted to. They also would benefit quite a bit with a guy like him, especially with Randle (shoulder) and Jalen Williams (ankle) out.

Teams like us that don't have the treasurer chest of assets need to have other deals lined up or we're just gonna come up empty handed. We're not the only team out there looking for backup bigs or big wings.

I know they could but I think NY is waiting for a superstar to become available,they don't have one ,and OKC could probably use a good C (they have a prety solid rotation on other positions)
You never know,a lot could happen...I Just hope the Mavs make a move,at least something...this roster isn't going anywhere, they won't be done in this deadline(they'll continue to improve in the summer window) but it would be good to make some changes now... it's obvious this doesn't work,even Kidd said it by pleading for trades
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 860

Post#1298 » by Teffer10 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 9:04 am

I wonder if Maxi's recent play will keep the Mavs from making a move at TDL.
Maybe Josh as well.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 860

Post#1299 » by Teffer10 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 9:09 am

41Dirk41 wrote:I'm not even sure to trade Green with Exum always injuried...maybe no moves and extra rest this summer for Luka+fire Kidd is the best case scenario for us.

Green is becoming another Hardaway...you cant give them up unless you find someone who can produce more.
Problem is their inconsistency keeps their value down so it is impossible to improve the team by trading them.

We might be stuck with both of them.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,991

Post#1300 » by Mavrelous » Tue Feb 6, 2024 9:34 am

Teffer10 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:I'm not even sure to trade Green with Exum always injuried...maybe no moves and extra rest this summer for Luka+fire Kidd is the best case scenario for us.

Green is becoming another Hardaway...you cant give them up unless you find someone who can produce more.
Problem is their inconsistency keeps their value down so it is impossible to improve the team by trading them.

We might be stuck with both of them.

PJW is also inconsistent, he's a better player than Green, but Green has higher cieling and he has paths to improve, PJW is pretty much who he is.
I'd trade Green for PJW, but the trade isn't a bad trade for the Hornets, they can trade for a 1st, but they aren't assured they are getting a rotation player with it, Green is a very good fit with Melo.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down

Return to Dallas Mavericks