ImageImageImage

Basketball back - 2021 Preseason [Next:Friday 7 PM CT @ Bucks]

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 868

Re: Basketball back - 2021 Preseason [Next:Friday 7:30 PM CT vs Clippers] 

Post#141 » by Teffer10 » Sat Oct 9, 2021 4:11 am

Apz wrote:Thing is, on the court he looks almost as wide s he is tall, beefy af. But out of the court the guy looks more normal. I cant see how they dont change his contract, if possible? Completly fearless, like, u trying to make an nba roster. Uget in a bad situation. How many non drafted, or even drafted, tries to pass off the backboard to himself and almost make it? And he got nice courtvision, done some great passes those games. And the maybe best thing, he finds space down low. All of a sudden he is just alone below the basket.

And top that off with him wanting to be a lawyer as he said after the game and plan to keep studying for that while playing. Smart dude, terry should be really worried about being cut. Also, im more for trading for dragic now if it means a 3 for 1. Several of those players can fill the last spot. Hunt didnt really get into it today but were good last game. Heard he dunked from the ft line in warmup or something last game. Frank got some fouls, some right, some wrong. But dude is fast and had blocks and should have had atleast had 1 more steal when he knocked it on his own foot and out of bounds.

Lucky that luka didnt die of laughter when green tried a long alley oop to moses and the pass ended up on like the tenth row.

I've bitched and complained about this team not having any strength at the forward and center positions for several years and it appears this guy could become someone to help that situation....at least at the forward positions.
Apz
Head Coach
And1: 2,075

Post#142 » by Apz » Sat Oct 9, 2021 4:31 am

Is also pressconference from after the game on mavs channel. It looks and sounds like kidd really thinks about getting eugene onto the team in what he says on that.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#143 » by LAL1947 » Sat Oct 9, 2021 5:10 am

Josh Green and Frank Ntilikina could be quite useful as full-court defenders... if they develop their shooting and their play-making a little too. Both have nice athleticism & speed, a good defensive motor and decent handles. Frank is the better defender at the moment. IMO, they should aim to become like Terrance Mann, he's become a really nice, useful player... and he was picked way lower than both of them, at #48.

Both really need to understand that they need to develop a reliable jumper and 3PT shot, or could find themselves out of the league. There are too many young talents coming in with every draft. If I were them, I'd be taking 10,000 threes in practice before the season starts... as Malcolm Gladwell's old book says to do.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,794

Post#144 » by leolozon » Sat Oct 9, 2021 10:11 am

Eugene!!! It's just preseason and it could mean nothing, but it's looking good. He has hustle and brain! I loved all the fakes he did. He's just not trying to go for it as soon as he can, he understands where the defender is and can shift fast.

I like Eugene's size too, because the team always lacked someone who could match up physically with guys like Lebron and Kawhi.

Once again, the Mavs could have too many guys who can play minutes and don't have time for them all.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 839

Post#145 » by Darren » Sat Oct 9, 2021 11:36 am

leolozon wrote:Eugene!!! It's just preseason and it could mean nothing, but it's looking good. He has hustle and brain! I loved all the fakes he did. He's just not trying to go for it as soon as he can, he understands where the defender is and can shift fast.

I like Eugene's size too, because the team always lacked someone who could match up physically with guys like Lebron and Kawhi.

Once again, the Mavs could have too many guys who can play minutes and don't have time for them all.

Eugene already earn a roster spot and regular rotation role. Eugene plays even better than Jae Crowder as a rookie for comparison.
Jones earns a 2-way spot. Clock is running out for Josh Green and Tyrell Terry. Ntilikina is really hard to let go. The energy and the charge is really good. But Ntilikina still doesn't impress in the weaknesses area. I am okay with lack of 3 point jumper. But Ntilikina should at least finish the rim well. I still can't understand the decision to retain WCS at 4M per. I'd rather have Hartenstein instead.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 839

Post#146 » by Darren » Sat Oct 9, 2021 11:39 am

KP delivered on both end of the floor. That's big news to Mavs fan.
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 429

Post#147 » by boogiezen » Sat Oct 9, 2021 2:37 pm

I'm impressed with Eugene. I know it's only a pre season but he was patient and moved well. Hopefully he will get a chance in the regular season.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,645

Re: Basketball back - 2021 Preseason [Next:Wednesday 5:30 PM CT @ Hornets] 

Post#148 » by jpengland » Sat Oct 9, 2021 5:00 pm

Id like.to see Omuroyi in the G League for a while.

He played well but ultimately he's undersized for a big and doesn't seem to have the perimeter skills to play the 3.

That said, he's smart and has some hustle. I just get the feeling he's going to struggle to find a role in the NBA.
leolozon
General Manager

Post#149 » by leolozon » Sat Oct 9, 2021 5:39 pm

jpengland wrote:Id like.to see Omuroyi in the G League for a while.

He played well but ultimately he's undersized for a big and doesn't seem to have the perimeter skills to play the 3.

That said, he's smart and has some hustle. I just get the feeling he's going to struggle to find a role in the NBA.

He has a 7'1-1/4 wingspan and must be 240 now (standing reach at 8'9-1/2, better than many PFs). It's really close to Draymond Green, but with a slightly bigger frame and slightly lower standing reach. He's not undersized for a PF in today's league. He can guard bigger guys than DFS and probably Kleber.

PJ Tucker was able to play PF once he got to 240+ and his wingspan doesn't even reach 7'. It's mostly about strength and decent standing reach.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,885

Post#150 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Oct 9, 2021 6:32 pm

He has the perfect body we need, we are bullied all the time from others big SF/PF.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,645

Post#151 » by jpengland » Sat Oct 9, 2021 6:52 pm

leolozon wrote:

He has a 7'1-1/4 wingspan and must be 240 now (standing reach at 8'9-1/2, better than many PFs). It's really close to Draymond Green, but with a slightly bigger frame and slightly lower standing reach. He's not undersized for a PF in today's league. He can guard bigger guys than DFS and probably Kleber.

PJ Tucker was able to play PF once he got to 240+ and his wingspan doesn't even reach 7'. It's mostly about strength and decent standing reach.

Green and Tucker are outliers and outstanding defensive instincts.

I don't see that defensive level from Omuroyi.

I like him, a lot, I just don't see how he's going to find s role unless he defense vastly improves.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,885

Post#152 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Oct 9, 2021 7:38 pm

This is right but he has good offensive skills that they haven't for sure and he could be a great 3point shooters (37% college).
He has to work and he is not so young but ehy is a lot better than Green.
leolozon
General Manager

Post#153 » by leolozon » Sat Oct 9, 2021 7:41 pm

jpengland wrote:
leolozon wrote:

Green and Tucker are outliers and outstanding defensive instincts.

I don't see that defensive level from Omuroyi.

I like him, a lot, I just don't see how he's going to find s role unless he defense vastly improves.

I don't know for sure about Omuroyi's defense, but he seems okay to me with potential to become better. But then that would be a talent problem and not a size problem.

No one is bothered by Lebron or Carmelo playing PFs these days. Omoruyi is probably of average weight for a PF and his standing reach is maybe slightly under average. His measurements are actually better than the PFs we had last year. DFS is not heavy enough, while Kleber has a small wingspan. Even Powell's standing reach is listed at 8'9 (I find it low). Him weighting the same as Kleber and Powell but with a lower center of gravity could actually be an advantage.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#154 » by LAL1947 » Sat Oct 9, 2021 7:58 pm

I think Omoruyi has earned a place in the first team. The main advantage of having him in the first team is that practising with them instead of G-leaue counterparts and getting minutes against real NBA competition will hopefully force him to grow and improve where he needs to sooner. He does have a 3PT shot, but has to work on improving it... and needs to continually improve his defense as that will be his bread and butter (along with being a hustle + energy guy). What he has shown so far is encouraging though, which is more than I can say for Powell, Burke, Boban, Josh, Tyrell, Moses, Sterling, Carlik. That's 7 players who should be traded/cut IMO.

If Mavs want to contend with Porzingis at the 4 (i.e., if it is even possible), the ?? are where additions are needed.

Luka / ?? / Brunson
?? / THJ / Ntilikina
DFS / Bullock / Omoruyi
Porzingis / Kleber / Hunt
?? / ?? / WCS
Apz
Head Coach
And1: 2,075

Post#155 » by Apz » Sat Oct 9, 2021 8:02 pm

I cant see what eugene will learn in the g-league that he cant learn in the 1st team. He got what? 4-5 years of college experience. What does the g-league do for him? Terry should be in the g-league, green too probably. They were one and done and clearly needs to learn more before they are ready
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,129

Post#156 » by Mavrelous » Sat Oct 9, 2021 8:22 pm

Except for problematic defense at times from Powell at the 4 (and it's not better when he's at the 5), the experiment of KP/Powell frontcourt seems to work well. Kidd needs to add some play of KP as a passer from the high post, Powell will stay as the main roll man. Omoroyi is a pleasant surprise.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,171

Post#157 » by Mr B » Sat Oct 9, 2021 8:57 pm

He needs to study video of Draymond. They have the same body type and weight from when Dray got to the NBA. If he can get his defense close to that level he’ll have a spot in the rotation this season.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#158 » by JJP » Sat Oct 9, 2021 10:31 pm

He played well but ultimately he's undersized for a big and doesn't seem to have the perimeter skills to play the .

What does "undersized" actually mean anymore in a position-less game? He's got the metrics of a larger player. He's almost identical in size to Paul Milsap but with a longer wing-span.

This is a game of mismatches, rebounds, assists, 3-point percentages - all things this player seems to have. He's played two pre-season games and looks better than Josh Green has after a full year of play.

If he's a quick study on defense, he's a good option off the bench.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#159 » by Mavrelous » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:41 pm

Sucks that Hayward isn't playing, Hornets played good basketball with him.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#160 » by Mavrelous » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:05 pm

That was clean block by KP

Return to Dallas Mavericks