dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,006

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Bulls (Nov 1) 

Post#141 » by dirkules_41 » Fri Nov 3, 2023 5:52 am

daoneandonly wrote:
Archx wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Always throwing meaningless stats without context to win an argument. There's no defending Green this season, he's been crap, especially yesterday.

He made some boneheaded passes but played good defense and (again) made clutch plays. Ended with +/- plus 14. It's not a meaningless stat if Mavs are 4-0 and Green is also a huge part of this lol.... you literally can not spin it around. He's doing something right.

Is he playing the best he could? No.. Is he making mistakes? Yes. ... Is he contributing to winning basketball? Hell yes.

I think we can definitely agree on the boneheaded part, Josh Green is a Neanderthal

Da one and only *edited* around the Mavs is you - we're 4 games into the season (all wins), Green is a big part defensively as to why that is the case and hit clutch shots in a few of those wins and you're out there pushing some agenda against the kid as if he had stopped putting in effort after securing what is a super Mavs friendly contract extension. :crazy: :lol:
Let's keep it clean...

What's not clean about it? He's using the same term to name our players so I figured he appreciates it.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,159

Post#142 » by daoneandonly » Fri Nov 3, 2023 12:42 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Archx wrote:
He made some boneheaded passes but played good defense and (again) made clutch plays. Ended with +/- plus 14. It's not a meaningless stat if Mavs are 4-0 and Green is also a huge part of this lol.... you literally can not spin it around. He's doing something right.

Is he playing the best he could? No.. Is he making mistakes? Yes. ... Is he contributing to winning basketball? Hell yes.

I think we can definitely agree on the boneheaded part, Josh Green is a Neanderthal

Da one and only Neanderthal around the Mavs is you - we're 4 games into the season (all wins), Green is a big part defensively as to why that is the case and hit clutch shots in a few of those wins and you're out there pushing some agenda against the kid as if he had stopped putting in effort after securing what is a super Mavs friendly contract extension. :crazy: :lol:

I celebrate the wins, but also realize we barely won against 4 mediocre to sorry teams. And the definition of clutch must be different in your country. A guard who shoots 60% from the CHARITY stripe isnt clutch. Not to mention he has more turnovers and fouls than defensive stats of steals and blocks.

What a season he's having since securing his guarantee:

GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
4 29.5 40.7 35.7 60.0 2.5 1.8 0.0 1.3 2.0 1.5 8.3

Game changer ladies & gentlemen.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,923

Post#143 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Nov 3, 2023 1:04 pm

I like Green too but his start of the season is suspicious... Probably he doesn't fit perfect with Luka, probably Kidd system is not perfect for him, probably a lot of other things were wrong but I also expected more from a 14M per year guy... Grant takes less and everybody can see how he plays(ok his salary is a huge bargain).

Anyway 4 games is a small size span, after 25/30 games we can have a better point of view about him.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#144 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Nov 3, 2023 1:09 pm

Add if the FO thinks that O-Max or Dennis Dexter can be a better fit for Luka so Green for Capela is a must thing to do... After then Maxi+THJ+2 SRPs for another wing.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#145 » by dirkules_41 » Fri Nov 3, 2023 2:42 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Da one and only Neanderthal around the Mavs is you - we're 4 games into the season (all wins), Green is a big part defensively as to why that is the case and hit clutch shots in a few of those wins and you're out there pushing some agenda against the kid as if he had stopped putting in effort after securing what is a super Mavs friendly contract extension. :crazy: :lol:

I celebrate the wins, but also realize we barely won against 4 mediocre to sorry teams. And the definition of clutch must be different in your country. A guard who shoots 60% from the CHARITY stripe isnt clutch. Not to mention he has more turnovers and fouls than defensive stats of steals and blocks.

What a season he's having since securing his guarantee:

GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
4 29.5 40.7 35.7 60.0 2.5 1.8 0.0 1.3 2.0 1.5 8.3

Game changer ladies & gentlemen.

A gamechanger would be you talking some sense for the first time in your realgm history and being capable of grasping basic statistical concepts such as sample size.
We're 4 games into the year, that's not a relevant sample size for anything in life - especially after a summer of World Cup and a preseason with multi continental travel. Feel free to flush this back up around ASG for an actually relevant evaluation.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#146 » by dirkules_41 » Fri Nov 3, 2023 2:43 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:I like Green too but his start of the season is suspicious... Probably he doesn't fit perfect with Luka, probably Kidd system is not perfect for him, probably a lot of other things were wrong but I also expected more from a 14M per year guy... Grant takes less and everybody can see how he plays(ok his salary is a huge bargain).

Anyway 4 games is a small size span, after 25/30 games we can have a better point of view about him.

14m is below MLE and excellent value for any 3&D guy who averages pretty efficient 10ppg. This isn't 2015 anymore...
We offered 11m to Thybulle who is significantly worse - unplayable in POs, barely any offensive skills and lost pretty much all his minutes on the Aussie NT to Green.

I'd prefer for Green to be lighting it up immediately as well but like certain not very basektball minded people on here to suggest that someone is playing poorly 4 games into a season because they just got paid is absurd.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#147 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Nov 3, 2023 2:53 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:I like Green too but his start of the season is suspicious... Probably he doesn't fit perfect with Luka, probably Kidd system is not perfect for him, probably a lot of other things were wrong but I also expected more from a 14M per year guy... Grant takes less and everybody can see how he plays(ok his salary is a huge bargain).

14m is below MLE and excellent value for any 3&D guy who averages pretty efficient 10ppg. This isn't 2015 anymore...
We offered 11m to Thybulle who is significantly worse - unplayable in POs, barely any offensive skills and lost pretty much all his minutes on the Aussie NT to Green.

I'd prefer for Green to be lighting it up immediately as well but like certain not very basektball minded people on here to suggest that someone is playing poorly 4 games into a season because they just got paid is absurd.

I hope you are right but those 4 games were not so good, that's a fact. Small size? Sure.

I'm not so high on his fit with Luka, only this... He plays better with Irving on the court.

Thank God Portland matched our offer. Thank God... Maxi, Powell and Thybulle should be be 30M of dead cap :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#148 » by dirkules_41 » Fri Nov 3, 2023 2:58 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:

I hope you are right but those 4 games were not so good, that's a fact. Small size? Sure.

I'm not so high on his fit with Luka, only this... He plays better with Irving on the court.

Thank God Portland matched our offer. Thank God... Maxi, Powell and Thybulle should be be 30M of dead cap :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Well the numbers don't back that up (as we both know 4 games in that's not that statistically relevant) but as ArchX laid out a page back:

Mavs are +14.2 pts per 100 poss better when Green is on the floor. 2nd highest on the team :o

The best and most played 5-man lineup (with significant minutes) so far was L. Dončić | J. Green | D. Jones | D. Lively | G. Williams +28.2 pts.

He does look best individually when he does a tiny bit of ballhandling like when him and Hardy shared the court last season. But honestly I don't even care about his numbers as long as his defense is good as always and the hustle is there and he hits his 3s. That alone is easily worth his contract.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,414

Post#149 » by Archx » Fri Nov 3, 2023 3:09 pm

I think Green will look better when Kyrie returns. Those two running the 2nd unit worked quite well in the past. I think we're also a bit surprised that Luka is pushing a lot more tempo than usually and Kidd just threw Green into the fire trying to create ..something.. when Kyrie is out.

Impact numbers don't really show it but Luka with THJ (as a scorer) looked better on the eyes. But Green does bring unselfishness and defense with him, which THJ doesn't so Mavs statistically produce way more points with Green in the lineup instead of THJ.

Green has to calm down a bit and stop trying to make those stupid passes that only Luka is capable of making. He should just stick to what he does best. Play defense, run, make corner 3s and drive to the rim when he has a free path to do so.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#150 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Nov 3, 2023 3:14 pm

Josh needs absolutely needs to know what he want to do when he jump in the air... Those TO are really bad because they start a fast break everytime.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,159

Post#151 » by daoneandonly » Fri Nov 3, 2023 3:27 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:Josh needs absolutely needs to know what he want to do when he jump in the air... Those TO are really bad because they start a fast break everytime.

Yea it has to be a low bbiq and decision making, I mean what else is it. We can't just keep saying oh he's young, he'll learn every year. The league is chalk full of guys his age and younger. Lively has shown more in 3 games than Josh in 3 years, so its time to stop excusing the age thing.

The team has allowed 119, 120, 110, and 105. Those arent terrible, but also not good defensive numbers, especially considering BKN was down 2 starters, Kyrie didn't play for some of them and he's arguably our biggest defensive weakness. Green wasn't exactly stopping anyone.
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,402

Post#152 » by BeiBeau » Sat Nov 4, 2023 2:13 am

Archx wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:Agree with the first half.

But tell me how much did it upset you when your favourite player hit a clutch 3 with under a minute left? To be fair this was one of his **** performances in recent years but still came through when it mattered.

But you have to ask yourself, would a clutch 3 been needed if he didnt play like horse manure throughout the entirety of the game? He's played like crap what 88-90% of his career, so why does he keep getting the benefit of the doubt?

I'll take and cheer a win all day everyday, no matter who's responsible for it.

Mavs are +14.2 pts per 100 poss better when Green is on the floor. 2nd highest on the team :o

The best and most played 5-man lineup (with significant minutes) so far was L. Dončić | J. Green | D. Jones | D. Lively | G. Williams +28.2 pts.

You better be careful. If these guys could understand you they’d be pissed.

Green despite having a bad shooting night, on of his worst games in 6 months, and a couple of average games for him is still one of the most impactful role players on the team who is signed for less than the MLE.

DJJ is a better on ball defender, but Greens speed and ability to fly all over the court(albeit sometimes with a lack of control) is better for team defense because he closes out better then anyone on the team. Plus winning those 50/50 balls is important at the end in the clutch. That plus his offensive game that has good shooting, solid finishing, and solid passing gives him diverse offense. That’s why he gets the closing job. He doesn’t always show it in the box score but the little things matter.

Return to Dallas Mavericks