ImageImageImage

Isaiah Roby is the newest Maverick

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Re: Isaiah Roby is the newest Maverick 

Post#21 » by SOUNDCHASER » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:03 pm

http://www.nbaanalysis.net/2018/10/07/breaking-down-underrated-isaiah-roby-skill-set/

https://www.lineups.com/articles/top-5-player-standouts-2019-nba-draft-combine/

interesting reads on Isaiah Roby.

Mavs added UDFA Josh Reaves as well
looks like he got a two way so he is on the 17 man roster and he shoots the 3 well and is active with steals and on defense.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/josh-reaves
Darren
RealGM
And1: 834

Post#23 » by Darren » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:22 pm

Picks coming back are Utah's 2020 and Portland's 2021 second rounder. Sounds good. Both teams are about to rebuild. The Mavs might have got a steal in draft values. Utah, for example, are not built in modern NBA. Gobert is not a nice fit with a lot of perimeter defense requirement in PO. The roster structure is poor as well with Gobert and Conley taking up a lot of cap rooms. With major injuries to Conley and Mitchell, Utah might not even be a playoff team afterall this season. Don't forget Conley has missed a whole season. And Mitchell relies a lot on athleticism. Portland is all about Lillard who relies on speed a lot. With some injuries or ageing issue, Portland might be on major peak fall pretty soon. CJ is not going to age well as an undersized combo guard. I think we get 2 draft picks from 30-45 range most likely. Pistons must be really desperate about the Lithuanian player.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#24 » by SOUNDCHASER » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:44 pm

Well we got a great steal in Roby as far as I am concerned because he plays D like Matrix and has the ability to perform like Powell with lobs and dunking. He is what I wanted to take at 37 but to drop down and get him at 45 and steal 2 more picks away from DET that is a master stroke of genius by the MBT.

Portland and Utah will probably do better than Detroit record wise so that is good news.

I know if Bo Bo was healthy they would probably taken him but if he was healthy then he would not have been there to take anyway.

Josh also looks like a keeper as well. Hope he is taking Macon's place.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#25 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:12 pm

arkuo wrote:
fuller4379 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
They most likely wont overpay for a center. Donnie is usually active signing people from the undrafted pool. But this year they are extra quiet. It tells you they need every penny they have right now to sign Kemba. After they sign a max FA, then they have the full MLE for a center.

If they put Kemba, Luka, and Kristaps on the court, then the other two starters need to be defensive minded players that can hit open shots.

I believe that is the plan. Hence we drafted two elite defenders (in college, at least). If Kemba comes, i think that makes getting DFS back a priority.

Influenced by what they saw this year with Toronto, I guess.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:13 pm

SOUNDCHASER wrote:Well we got a great steal in Roby as far as I am concerned because he plays D like Matrix and has the ability to perform like Powell with lobs and dunking. He is what I wanted to take at 37 but to drop down and get him at 45 and steal 2 more picks away from DET that is a master stroke of genius by the MBT.

Portland and Utah will probably do better than Detroit record wise so that is good news.

I know if Bo Bo was healthy they would probably taken him but if he was healthy then he would not have been there to take anyway.

Josh also looks like a keeper as well. Hope he is taking Macon's place.

I hope Roby pans out.
gomavsgo
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#27 » by gomavsgo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:18 pm

Not bad from what I’ve seen, real excited to see how this guy develops. Might actually watch the G League if he’s down there.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#28 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:21 pm

gomavsgo wrote:Not bad from what I’ve seen, real excited to see how this guy develops.

Yeah, I wish I had seen more of how he shoots though tbh.
Darren
RealGM

Post#29 » by Darren » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:56 pm

In the rookie season, I want Roby to be able to:
1.Add muscle and strength overall to avoid getting pushed and posted up in paint for one, to avoid ball poked away after getting rebound. Losing position defensively is not something the Mavs wants. Able to absorb contact and convert layups in foul count situation.
2.Getting into high-level athlete status - work until Roby gets a body frame as good as Iguodala. Add body mass and strength in general. Solid Muscle to fat ratio. Vertical leap (to at least 40; to avoid unfinished alley-op by putting the ball down unnecessary). Vertical speed after creating distant with explosive first step. Coast-to-coast speed as quickly as Steve Nash.
3.Understand role and provide energy. Do not try to force any issues.
4.Learn to be smarter player with quicker decision making to avoid fouling perimeter shooters unnecessarily. Better timing in shot-blocking. Able to pass out of the post under pressure. Making pass or shoot decision a little faster. Make better passing decision in crowd or in traffic.
5.Better mechanics and shot selection. Convert 80% from FT.

I think the coaching staff can care less except extra film sessions for Roby until the mind is set and body is right. Until then, expect DNP and work as gym rat.
Darren
RealGM

Post#30 » by Darren » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:06 pm

To be sure, at the starting point, Roby is on path compared with Draymond Green who's pretty slow in rookie season. As a second round pick, nothing is given. Most second rounder gets out of the league in 2nd / 3rd year. The opportunities are given for the rookie to grab. But rookie can choose to disappoint as well. As the Mavs is going to have a lot of second rounders next season, the team is better off setting off a culture for the young players to work individually. The coach only teach those young players who raises eyebow. I may still draft Roby at 37 over Admiral. Roby has higher ceiling with 7-3 wingspan. I may think a little bit about Bol Bol, though. I still can't believe Bol Bol is still there by 37. Maybe that's a mistake passing on Bol Bol. Hopefully, the Mavs does not make the second straight mistakes passing on Tacko as undrafted rookie.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,935

Post#31 » by arkuo » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:08 pm

If Roby turns into freakin Draymond Green Im buying everyone a drink.
Darren
RealGM

Post#32 » by Darren » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:34 pm

I do watch 1-2 Draymond Green game as a Memphis by the time. Draymond is nothing more than strong and willing to hustle player. The footspeed is poor. The shooting is steaky. The only thing makes a difference is Green has the passion in the game. This separate Green with all those second rounders who left the league in 1-2 years. Hopfully, Roby can reach the highest potential. At the starting point, Roby is more verstaile than Green and is better athlete (excluding strength). To be sure, Roby is not as talented skillsets compared to Matrix in rookie season. Matrix run and jump a lot better. But with a 7-3 wingspan, it just need some extraordinary work ethics and smartness to make things happen. The MVP Leonard has the same measurement. Not a bad pick up for the Mavs. As an athlete, Roby actually move better than Leonard. But Leonard has all the skills (changing speed and court vision) and intangibles (clutchness and smartness) to make the difference. Hopefully, Roby makes the case for hardworking.

I think gathering second rounders are right strategy for the Mavs who's looking at 3D players, combo guard, athletic C/PF and so on. This type of players are abundant every year. This type of players ususally find home with this Mavericks team. Unwanted everywhere but being loved in Dallas. And the Mavs should have not problem keeping own players instead of begging for UFAs in open market. Until now, I still think Texas is rather unattractive to FAs not from overseas or Texas.

Trading down for the same player with two extra second rounder is just right. (Except passing on Bol Bol is a little hard to believe) Compared with Admiral, Roby is possibly better fit alongside Luka being able to defend multiple positions and letting the coash to dictate favorable matchup.

Compared with getting stars, I think the Mavs are better off building the roster to play different style. So that the team could actually make good use of the coach's talents. Just win with smartness and team plays. That's the Mavs. Super athletes are not needed.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 860

Post#33 » by Teffer10 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:01 pm

Nice pick but he'll have to compete with Jackson and DFS for PT.
I fully expect DFS back and right now it is between those two in a backup SF role.
I also see Maxi and Powell back so it will be tough for this guy to see any action other than G-level ball.

Best scenario for Roby would be for us to sign Kemba and then Jackson get dealt in a package to acquire a center.
That would leave Roby and DFS competing for that 3-D wing to complete the starting lineup.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#34 » by arkuo » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:24 pm

Teffer10 wrote:Nice pick but he'll have to compete with Jackson and DFS for PT.
I fully expect DFS back and right now it is between those two in a backup SF role.
I also see Maxi and Powell back so it will be tough for this guy to see any action other than G-level ball.

Best scenario for Roby would be for us to sign Kemba and then Jackson get dealt in a package to acquire a center.
That would leave Roby and DFS competing for that 3-D wing to complete the starting lineup.

Roby is a big kid. I think he'd be backup PF here. Like a cheap Thad Young with a 3 point shot. So Jackson and him and even Reaves can see the floor together. All off the bench
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#35 » by 2011Champs » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:26 pm

He will probably play for the Legends a season or two and then disappear.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 860

Post#36 » by Teffer10 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:01 pm

arkuo wrote:

Roby is a big kid. I think he'd be backup PF here. Like a cheap Thad Young with a 3 point shot. So Jackson and him and even Reaves can see the floor together. All off the bench

Agree and that is why I said if Maxi and Powell are back it will be tough to get any action.
It really depends on his attitude and work ethic because he seems to have the necessary tools to survive in this league but he'll have to show something special in order to get an opportunity.

My guess is he'll be this year's version of Spaulding/Motley/Ashley/etc...
arkuo
General Manager

Post#37 » by arkuo » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:14 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Agree and that is why I said if Maxi and Powell are back it will be tough to get any action.
It really depends on his attitude and work ethic because he seems to have the necessary tools to survive in this league but he'll have to show something special in order to get an opportunity.

My guess is he'll be this year's version of Spaulding/Motley/Ashley/etc...

Agree. And I'd let go of Powell if Roby is good to go. No use paying Powell $10 to $12M a year for the next 5 years if he will just come off the bench for some center we sign. If Roby can do the same things Powell does for a fraction of the cost.

Maybe we're gearing up for a CP3 + Capela trade if the Kemba signing doesnt push through. THJ + Lee + Powell + one 2nd rounder for CP3 and Capela. Subsitute those 3 with all the youngsters we have for the bench. Brunson, Reaves, Jackson, Roby, Kleber and DFS can be your bench. It's the final year of that CP3 deal that stings.
turcorox911
Sophomore
And1: 153

Post#38 » by turcorox911 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:19 pm

He has 3D potential, so I'll take that.
Maybe he plays in the slam dunk contest
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#39 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:57 pm

With Luka and KP you just need guys who defend and who can score off of threes and attacking the basket to dunk lobs and draw fouls. If He can fly to the rim and dunk it like he is in the videos he is a good option at SF behind Jackson and to play small ball at PF/C. The Reaves guy is a defender as well so we have a great opportunity with these guys to luck out on some hidden gems.
turcorox911
Sophomore
And1: 153

Post#40 » by turcorox911 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:23 am

2011Champs wrote:He will probably play for the Legends a season or two and then disappear.

Hopefully he's better than Jared Cunningham though.

Return to Dallas Mavericks