ImageImageImage

RS 19/20 - LA Clippers at Dallas Tues, Jan 21 8:30 PM

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

deb
Senior
And1: 455

Re: RS 19/20 - LA Clippers at Dallas Tues, Jan 21 8:30 PM 

Post#21 » by deb » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:21 pm

Pinkyring wrote:Tanking is much better alternative than to win 40 games. Last year should have been a tank year to start since we only had 2 long term players on the roster which was luka and dsj atm. Instead of going that route we opted to waste money on signing Jordan and wasted half a season chasing an 8th seed. That lost us that pick and for what, we gained nothing from that.

No Jordan no KP. Oh, I forgot who I was talking to... But you need assets to trade for good players, and short term contracts for decent players are most definitely assets.

Being successful just through tanking is a crapshoot, and even if you're lucky about it, it takes five or more years to get good through draft (see the Process or how terrible the GSW were). Mavs jumpstarted their rebuild and are back in the playoffs, retooled and futureproof, in 3 years...
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,199

Post#22 » by HMFFL » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:46 am

Paul George won't play.
This game is the only game on tomorrow. Go Mavs!

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#23 » by DJ_3_Ball » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:45 am

Bob8 wrote:Like I said, you should run Mavs. And then you might have seen, it’s not that simple to run a professional team with all the decisions to make and managing real players, who want to play and win games and not just sit on the bench. The reason Luka is, what he is, is exactly his wish to win every game he plays and Barea and all other good players are exactly the same. Mavs tanked good enough to get Luka, that’s all that matters.

You've been on my ignore since the second or third post you sent me. Only reason I opened your post in this thread is because that was a month ago & I couldn't remember who you were.

You're a broken record. Only one thing ever comes out of your mouth, "Yeah, well you should run the team since you know better..."

You're a... eh, I better not say. Let's just say I think very, very little of your intellect.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#24 » by DJ_3_Ball » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:50 am

J_T wrote:
ejs78 wrote:Well said.

Thing that baffled me was people were saying we could become the Suns or any other habitually bad teams. Last I checked we have RC, Donnie, Cuban, with Fin and possibly Dirk in the mix.

Everything has turned out pretty well, but it was comical how bad people wanted meaningless wins.
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

That's because they were not tanking. They were actually trying to win. And that's good. Tanking is meaningless, nonsensical and can only hurt. I'm happy with how the team was responding to the crappy season. As it has been said, those extra 4% chance to hit the lottery is not worth it.

"Worth" what? 24 wins instead of 21 wins?????

It's also not about the 4%

It's about GUARANTEED to be picking in the top 4 of the draft in a 2 player draft (imo Luka & JJJ) when there's rumors that Bagley & Ayton could push one of those 2 players to the 4 spot, but NOT the 5th pick.

That's the number game. Risk falling out of the top 4 of the draft? So you can win 24 games instead of 21. Gimmie a break.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#25 » by DJ_3_Ball » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:56 am

Archx wrote:Tanking on paper looks promising to get promising prospects but even then if you do get a high draft pick, there are chances you will still mess that up. That's why Mavs and even Spurs are smart enough to understand that real rebuild happens through free agency and trades.

Tell that to Philadelphia. If Sam Hinkie hadn't come along, they'd likely be the Charlotte Hornets 2.0, with Jrue Holiday playing the role of Kemba Walker. A great player leading a cast of nobodies to the 8th seed & a 1st round exit every year, or missing the playoffs altogether.

Instead, they were horrible for 4-5 years, and know they are able to trade for & sign FAs. There's excitement in Philadelphia. They were 1 bounce away from the ECF.

They don't get their hands on Embiid or Simmons without it. From the time Charles Barkely left Philadelphia, how many big name or even medium level FAs signed in Philly? And, they had Allen Iverson at one point (who they got in the draft). And, they're a big market, but nobody likes Philly because it's not sexy.

Eh, I guess they did sign Elton Brand. At the time he was a big name. So, I'll give you that, but you ask Philadelphia fans if they're upset with The Process. I bet you won't find one fan who dislikes it.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by DJ_3_Ball » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:00 am

dirkules_41 wrote:You don't tank with a team that has Luka. All the kid has ever done is win, he'll ask to get out fairly soon if you're not competitive. Ridiculous idea.

Let's hope KP is back for this one, I miss some decent defense.

We were talking about tanking in the 2017-2018 season. Not this year. I remember the games from that season so vividly. Every Mavs' win use to hurt my soul.

Imagine not having Luka because you win a couple extra games in a season you miss the playoffs by 20 games.

Definitely a hot button topic for me, so when I read that, just took me right back there to Carlisle coaching to win games & the Mavs doing really dumb stuff to win games that... Just thank the Good Lord above it didn't cost Luka & only cost us our 2019 1st round draft pick instead.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,734

Post#27 » by Bob8 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:18 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Bob8 wrote:Like I said, you should run Mavs. And then you might have seen, it’s not that simple to run a professional team with all the decisions to make and managing real players, who want to play and win games and not just sit on the bench. The reason Luka is, what he is, is exactly his wish to win every game he plays and Barea and all other good players are exactly the same. Mavs tanked good enough to get Luka, that’s all that matters.

You've been on my ignore since the second or third post you sent me. Only reason I opened your post in this thread is because that was a month ago & I couldn't remember who you were.

You're a broken record. Only one thing ever comes out of your mouth, "Yeah, well you should run the team since you know better..."

You're a... eh, I better not say. Let's just say I think very, very little of your intellect.

I feel totally different about you, your supremacy is so obvious. It’s just a shame that you’re using so much time in this forum instead of helping humanity.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,334

Post#28 » by Archx » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:23 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Archx wrote:Tanking on paper looks promising to get promising prospects but even then if you do get a high draft pick, there are chances you will still mess that up. That's why Mavs and even Spurs are smart enough to understand that real rebuild happens through free agency and trades.

Tell that to Philadelphia. If Sam Hinkie hadn't come along, they'd likely be the Charlotte Hornets 2.0, with Jrue Holiday playing the role of Kemba Walker. A great player leading a cast of nobodies to the 8th seed & a 1st round exit every year, or missing the playoffs altogether.

Instead, they were horrible for 4-5 years, and know they are able to trade for & sign FAs. There's excitement in Philadelphia. They were 1 bounce away from the ECF.

They don't get their hands on Embiid or Simmons without it. From the time Charles Barkely left Philadelphia, how many big name or even medium level FAs signed in Philly? And, they had Allen Iverson at one point (who they got in the draft). And, they're a big market, but nobody likes Philly because it's not sexy.

Eh, I guess they did sign Elton Brand. At the time he was a big name. So, I'll give you that, but you ask Philadelphia fans if they're upset with The Process. I bet you won't find one fan who dislikes it.

Obviously there are exceptions but how many times do those teams get lucky with tanking though? :P ... Lakers were extremely lucky, Cavs and Boston? But before that, there were a lot of trades involved which lead to those picks as well. But outside of LAL and Boston, teams are mostly still looking for huge upgrades. Mavs on the other hand hit a jackpot. And i would argue that was only because 2018 draft was really loaded, still Suns, Kings, ATL are all out of playoffs. MEM is doing good and NOLA will be good once Zion comes back.

So, all in all there are obviously exceptions but like i said, a ton of things have to go right in order to justify tanking or even risk losing players and prominent FA's due to rebuilding process.

Btw, why are you and Bob8 arguing like an old couple who was together for over 50years now? :lol: Aren't you two suppose to be on the same side? :D
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,945

Post#29 » by ducler » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:08 pm

Read on Twitter
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#30 » by XTraderXL » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:23 pm

Bob8 wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

I feel totally different about you, your supremacy is so obvious. It’s just a shame that you’re using so much time in this forum instead of helping humanity.

Bob8, you again just confirmed the point DJ_3_Ball was/is making :D :D
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,734

Post#31 » by Bob8 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:41 pm

XTraderXL wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

Bob8, you again just confirmed the point DJ_3_Ball was/is making :D :D

I can't help myself, I'm a true admirer. ;)

Btw. He has supposedly put me on ignore list, but has answered every my reply in last month. Strange way of using ignore feature.

On topic, it's kinda strange to be outraged, how Mavs have handled rebuild, knowing that they had Luka and Kp and are 5th seed in the west, don't you think?
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#32 » by J_T » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:22 pm

Archx wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

Obviously there are exceptions but how many times do those teams get lucky with tanking though? :P ... Lakers were extremely lucky, Cavs and Boston? But before that, there were a lot of trades involved which lead to those picks as well. But outside of LAL and Boston, teams are mostly still looking for huge upgrades. Mavs on the other hand hit a jackpot. And i would argue that was only because 2018 draft was really loaded, still Suns, Kings, ATL are all out of playoffs. MEM is doing good and NOLA will be good once Zion comes back.

So, all in all there are obviously exceptions but like i said, a ton of things have to go right in order to justify tanking or even risk losing players and prominent FA's due to rebuilding process.

Yeah, definitely. It's been all said in this thread already but I'm just going to recap.

1. If the organization is making moves that make team strong in long run, but weaker right now, I have no problem with that. For me tanking is losing on purpose right now without any benefit other than having as bad record as possible.

2. I think that there is a good chance that all degenerate gamblers love constant tanking. It's simply the same mentality - going for that dream jackpot, regardless of what other consequences there might be. :)

3. When we talk about chances not being there, you have to take the entire chain into account. First of all, just because you are tanking, doesn't mean that you will lose the game. Second, just because you lost few games doesn't mean that you will lose a place in the standings. Next, just because you lose a place in the standings doesn't mean that you will have better chance at winning the lottery. In fact it is possible that had you stayed in the higher spot, you would have won the lottery and because you dropped two places you didn't win. Good example is the last draft. The best spots after all is said and one was not worst and second worst team in the league, it was 7th and 8th worst record in the league. Both, Pelicans and Grizzlies had identical win record as Mavs did, and won the lottery. It could have been Mavs, easily. In fact the chances that Knicks would have kept number one spot were very low.
Next, even if you actually have gained a "guaranteed" better drafting spot, it's very likely that you are not going to pick the best available player. In fact it's possible that had you picked one spot later, you'd have picked a better player. And if you pick the player with highest talent... who knows what happens with Zion, his injuries might prove to be too much too handle.
So when you add all this together, I think it becomes much clearer how flawed tanking is. It gives this false impression that tanking = good, no questions asked.

4. There is a thing called winning culture and I respect Cuban for going for it. There is a thing called winning, and Mavs are one of the most winningest teams in the league. In last 15 years Dallas is only behind Spurs and Rockets in number of wins. (all from Texas, interesting) Some strong teams also Heat, Celtics, Nuggets and Warriors. Strong franchises. I'll tell you who is in the bottom six: 76'ers, Hornets, Nets, Knicks, Kings, Wolves. **** franchises. Nets are a special case, but other seem to be franchises that players are running away from. Yes, even Philly. Why didn't Butler stay there? Many reports, many guesses, but I know one thing. If you ask anyone who is more committed to winning, Heat or 76'ers, I don't think there is any doubt it's the former. Fans always wondering, why Riley is able to do some pretty crazy stuff so often. It's amazing to me how people don't seem to understand that players don't want to play for losing teams. If nothing else, it's bad for their personal record. But it's much more than that.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#33 » by ejs78 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:33 pm

J_T wrote:
Archx wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

Obviously there are exceptions but how many times do those teams get lucky with tanking though? ... Lakers were extremely lucky, Cavs and Boston? But before that, there were a lot of trades involved which lead to those picks as well. But outside of LAL and Boston, teams are mostly still looking for huge upgrades. Mavs on the other hand hit a jackpot. And i would argue that was only because 2018 draft was really loaded, still Suns, Kings, ATL are all out of playoffs. MEM is doing good and NOLA will be good once Zion comes back.

Yeah, definitely. It's been all said in this thread already but I'm just going to recap.

1. If the organization is making moves that make team strong in long run, but weaker right now, I have no problem with that. For me tanking is losing on purpose right now without any benefit other than having as bad record as possible.

2. I think that there is a good chance that all degenerate gamblers love constant tanking. It's simply the same mentality - going for that dream jackpot, regardless of what other consequences there might be. :)

3. When we talk about chances not being there, you have to take the entire chain into account. First of all, just because you are tanking, doesn't mean that you will lose the game. Second, just because you lost few games doesn't mean that you will lose a place in the standings. Next, just because you lose a place in the standings doesn't mean that you will have better chance at winning the lottery. In fact it is possible that had you stayed in the higher spot, you would have won the lottery and because you dropped two places you didn't win. Good example is the last draft. The best spots after all is said and one was not worst and second worst team in the league, it was 7th and 8th worst record in the league. Both, Pelicans and Grizzlies had identical win record as Mavs did, and won the lottery. It could have been Mavs, easily. In fact the chances that Knicks would have kept number one spot were very low.
Next, even if you actually have gained a "guaranteed" better drafting spot, it's very likely that you are not going to pick the best available player. In fact it's possible that had you picked one spot later, you'd have picked a better player. And if you pick the player with highest talent... who knows what happens with Zion, his injuries might prove to be too much too handle.
So when you add all this together, I think it becomes much clearer how flawed tanking is. It gives this false impression that tanking = good, no questions asked.

4. There is a thing called winning culture and I respect Cuban for going for it. There is a thing called winning, and Mavs are one of the most winningest teams in the league. In last 15 years Dallas is only behind Spurs and Rockets in number of wins. (all from Texas, interesting) Some strong teams also Heat, Celtics, Nuggets and Warriors. Strong franchises. I'll tell you who is in the bottom six: 76'ers, Hornets, Nets, Knicks, Kings, Wolves. **** franchises. Nets are a special case, but other seem to be franchises that players are running away from. Yes, even Philly. Why didn't Butler stay there? Many reports, many guesses, but I know one thing. If you ask anyone who is more committed to winning, Heat or 76'ers, I don't think there is any doubt it's the former. Fans always wondering, why Riley is able to do some pretty crazy stuff so often. It's amazing to me how people don't seem to understand that players don't want to play for losing teams. If nothing else, it's bad for their personal record. But it's much more than that.
You're making my point.

A team like Dallas that is a stable organization with coach, gm, and owner are not going to fall into a losing culture because of a few more Ls or create a winning one because of a few more Ws. You really think Luka is sitting there going man those extra 4 wins last year really set the tone for this season?

Knicks, Suns, and Kings for example go through coaches and gms at the blink of an eye. All 3 of these teams also have very volatile owners and that's why they are repeatedly in the lottery.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
J_T
Veteran

Post#34 » by J_T » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:52 pm

ejs78 wrote:You're making my point.

A team like Dallas that is a stable organization with coach, gm, and owner are not going to fall into a losing culture because of a few more Ls or create a winning one because of a few more Ws. You really think Luka is sitting there going man those extra 4 wins last year really set the tone for this season?

Knicks, Suns, and Kings for example go through coaches and gms at the blink of an eye. All 3 of these teams also have very volatile owners and that's why they are repeatedly in the lottery.

Yeah, and I can take this crack shot, it's not going to turn me into an addict.

Winning mentality means that you are going for it 100% of the time. There is no middle road and making compromises.

We are just going to disagree on this. I'm glad that there was no tanking, I'm glad that organization is top 3 in wins in last 15 years, I think it pays off. And it frustrates you, I understand. But nothing you or me says here is going to change anything. So not much point arguing about it. I made my case and haven't seen a single good argument against it.
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by ejs78 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:13 pm

I just made several about it costing them picks and how all those other organizations aren't stable.

You brought up Jimmy Butler whos created problems in a couple of organizations as a black eye on the 76ers
J_T wrote:
ejs78 wrote:You're making my point.

Yeah, and I can take this crack shot, it's not going to turn me into an addict.

Winning mentality means that you are going for it 100% of the time. There is no middle road and making compromises.

We are just going to disagree on this. I'm glad that there was no tanking, I'm glad that organization is top 3 in wins in last 15 years, I think it pays off. And it frustrates you, I understand. But nothing you or me says here is going to change anything. So not much point arguing about it. I made my case and haven't seen a single good argument against it.

J_T
Veteran

Post#36 » by J_T » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:24 pm

ejs78 wrote:I just made several about it costing them picks and how all those other organizations aren't stable.

You brought up Jimmy Butler whos created problems in a couple of organizations as a black eye on the 76ers
J_T wrote:
ejs78 wrote:

Not being "stable" and tanking goes hand in hand in my opinion and pretty much history is supporting that opinion. Extremely strong evidence.

As for Butler, I think it's becoming clear that Butler is a great teammate in "stable" organizations. Organizations that are not doing any tanking as well. I simply don't think it's a coincidence. Butler definitely doesn't want to play for tanking teams and soft stars who are not committed to winning. After that famous practice he admitted that he was especially hard on Towns, but it's because he thought Towns was the most talented player on the team.
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#37 » by ejs78 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:44 pm

J_T wrote:
ejs78 wrote:I just made several about it costing them picks and how all those other organizations aren't stable.

J_T wrote:

Not being "stable" and tanking goes hand in hand in my opinion and pretty much history is supporting that opinion. Extremely strong evidence.

As for Butler, I think it's becoming clear that Butler is a great teammate in "stable" organizations. Organizations that are not doing any tanking as well. I simply don't think it's a coincidence. Butler definitely doesn't want to play for tanking teams and soft stars who are not committed to winning. After that famous practice he admitted that he was especially hard on Towns, but it's because he thought Towns was the most talented player on the team.
Yeah I guess the Spurs weren't stable when they got Duncan and GS might fall off a cliff this year. Grizz have been a fairly stable team and they are just fine. Again teams like NY, PHX, SAC aren't in the same boat.

You're now turning away from Philly going to Minnesota for your Butler point so which is it?

J_T
Veteran

Post#38 » by J_T » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:11 pm

ejs78 wrote:You're now turning away from Philly going to Minnesota for your Butler point so which is it?

Is it possible to turn off these "sent from my XX phone" signatures? I think it is. Makes no sense to me why they are being shown.

On topic though, I am not turning away from anything. I am putting all 3 of Butler's previous teams in the same boat. I think that Philly named their situation "process" just to make it sound more credible and more serious, more promising if you will. I had some discussion on the main board about it, but Philly is not a contender for me, because this team can never win a championship. And them being bad for so long might have something to do with it. These players are not hungry to win.

Oh and not sure what your point regarding Duncan was exactly because it looks to be supporting my view. Duncan's rookie season was a 56-win season. Spurs in general are a terrible team for your case, since average drafting position of their players two years ago was second lowest in the league, at 39. The teams on the opposite end, with rosters consisting of highest drafted players on average were Wolves and Cavs. Case closed? Well, it's closed for me. I'm done with this topic.
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#39 » by ejs78 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:17 pm

Do you know how the Spurs got Duncan?

J_T wrote:
ejs78 wrote:You're now turning away from Philly going to Minnesota for your Butler point so which is it?

Is it possible to turn off these "sent from my XX phone" signatures? I think it is. Makes no sense to me why they are being shown.

On topic though, I am not turning away from anything. I am putting all 3 of Butler's previous teams in the same boat. I think that Philly named their situation "process" just to make it sound more credible and more serious, more promising if you will. I had some discussion on the main board about it, but Philly is not a contender for me, because this team can never win a championship. And them being bad for so long might have something to do with it. These players are not hungry to win.

Oh and not sure what your point regarding Duncan was exactly because it looks to be supporting my view. Duncan's rookie season was a 56-win season.

deb
Senior
And1: 455

Post#40 » by deb » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:24 pm

ejs78 wrote:Do you know how the Spurs got Duncan?

J_T wrote:

Oh and not sure what your point regarding Duncan was exactly because it looks to be supporting my view. Duncan's rookie season was a 56-win season.

Did they actively tank? Lose games on purpose? Or had multiple injuries like the GSW are having right now? Regardless, the mavs still managed to get their franchise cornerstone and KP to boot. If things were different, and the mavs had a worse record than they had in 2017/18, who's to say they'd have that? Maybe the Suns would've taken Doncic, maybe the mavs wouldn't be able to trade for KP, maybe something else would've gone wrong. Could've, would've, should've... The mavs are where they are, retooled and ready for the next 10 years or so. Now, if only KP's knees hold up :pray:

Return to Dallas Mavericks