ImageImageImage

Playoffs 20/21 - G2 - Mavs @ Clippers Tuesday, 10:30PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,192

Playoffs 20/21 - G2 - Mavs @ Clippers Tuesday, 10:30PM EST) 

Post#21 » by Mr B » Tue May 25, 2021 2:14 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:I wanna see the Mavericks be aggressive in this game. All of the pressure is on the Clippers. The Mavs should take shots from deep, throw lobs, run a few traps on Reggie Jackson, Pat Bev, etc. Continue to double Kawhi.

I wouldn't mind Luka taking a few heat check shots early in the game. If Dallas has any lead in this game, 2nd quarter and beyond, that really turns up the pressure on the Clippers. I could see people like PG, Marcus Morris, Batum, and even Kawhi miss a few shots they might otherwise make.

If things don't go that way, I'd like to see the Mavs slow the game down by fouling players (anyone buy Kawhi) and make them earn points from the line. Same idea the pressure might get to them, and allow the Mavs to make up some points.

I expect the Mavs to be in this game the whole way tomorrow, and I really hope we pull it out. I don't think the Clippers recover from 0-2.

If the Mavs can keep this game close I have confidence they will win. They’ve been pretty good at closing games out this year and the Clippers have been terrible at closing games out.

I expect to see more of Kawhi actually guarding Luka in this game. Hopefully that leads to foul trouble for Kawhi.

Also based on what Zubac has been saying the Clippers might be looking to shut down guys like THJ and DFS. This may be the game we see KP have a huge night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Re: Playoffs 20/21 - G2 - Mavs @ Clippers Tuesday, 10:30PM EST) 

Post#22 » by DJ_3_Ball » Tue May 25, 2021 2:33 am

Mr B wrote:If the Slavs can keep this game close I have confidence they will win. They’ve been pretty good at closing games out this year and the Clippers have been terrible at closing games out.

I expect to see more of Kawhi actually guarding Luka in this game. Hopefully that leads to foul trouble for Kawhi.

Also based on what Zubac has been saying the Clippers might be looking to shut down guys like THJ and DFS. This may be the game we see KP have a huge night.

I don't see how they would shut down THJ and DFS without letting Luka have a big night. I don't think Kawhi is going to lock down Luka. I doubt he even slows him down, and if does, it'll require enough effort out of Kawhi that he doesn't have a repeat of his 26 pts from game 1.

Hopefully that does open things up for KP, but I'd also be on the look out for Brunson, and of course, it would also open things up for J Rich or Kleber. I'm not sure the Clippers can shut down our role players. We have several capable shooters. I'm not even sure I would try to shut down THJ or DFS, if I were them. That's essentially like treating THJ & DFS like they have the hot hand. Their best bet imo is to try to close out on each possession best they can, and hope the Mavs don't stay as hot from 3 (as probability says they likely won't). Devoting too many resources to just 3 players greatly increases the chances the 2 remaining players have big nights.

Edit: Not sure where you heard Zubac's comments at, but I doubt he's laying out the Clips actual game plan for the media.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 853

Post#23 » by Darren » Tue May 25, 2021 2:39 am

Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:Stealing both games in LA would be massive. If Porzingis can take advantage of the size mismatches and Luka continues playing how he has been, anything is possible.

This needs to be Maxi’s revenge game. Hope he scores 20

I really wish KP would post up more.

I think the Mavs need rim protection and efficient shooting performance from KP.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#24 » by Mr B » Tue May 25, 2021 2:41 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Mr B wrote:If the Slavs can keep this game close I have confidence they will win. They’ve been pretty good at closing games out this year and the Clippers have been terrible at closing games out.

I don't see how they would shut down THJ and DFS without letting Luka have a big night. I don't think Kawhi is going to lock down Luka. I doubt he even slows him down, and if does, it'll require enough effort out of Kawhi that he doesn't have a repeat of his 26 pts from game 1.

Hopefully that does open things up for KP, but I'd also be on the look out for Brunson, and of course, it would also open things up for J Rich or Kleber. I'm not sure the Clippers can shut down our role players. We have several capable shooters. I'm not even sure I would try to shut down THJ or DFS, if I were them. That's essentially like treating THJ & DFS like they have the hot hand. Their best bet imo is to try to close out on each possession best they can, and hope the Mavs don't stay as hot from 3 (as probability says they likely won't). Devoting too many resources to just 3 players greatly increases the chances the 2 remaining players have big nights.

Edit: Not sure where you heard Zubac's comments at, but I doubt he's laying out the Clips actual game plan for the media.

Brad Townsend (Dallas Morning News) has been tweeting comments from Zubac today.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Mr B
RealGM

Post#25 » by Mr B » Tue May 25, 2021 2:44 am

I think some forget that Brunson thrives in big games and won 2 National Titles in college. Also forget that this is is first playoffs after being hurt last season.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Mr B
RealGM

Post#26 » by Mr B » Tue May 25, 2021 2:45 am

Here’s another Zubac comment.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#27 » by DJ_3_Ball » Tue May 25, 2021 2:49 am

Mr B wrote:I think some forget that Brunson thrives in big games and won 2 National Titles in college. Also forget that this is is first playoffs after being hurt last season

I don't know how a Luka, Brunson, THJ, DFS, KP/Kleber/J Rich/Pick your 5th lineup would work on the defensive end of the court. But, if the Clippers are going to have Kawhi shadow Luka, and focus their efforts on not letting THJ or DFS (Kleber/J Rich) get looks, then that leaves KP open. If you put Brunson on the floor too in those spots, then I'm confident Brunson can give the Clippers 4th best perimeter defender the business.
mabundo_nagumbe
Junior
And1: 613

Post#28 » by mabundo_nagumbe » Tue May 25, 2021 12:03 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Mr B wrote:I think some forget that Brunson thrives in big games and won 2 National Titles in college. Also forget that this is is first playoffs after being hurt last season

I don't know how a Luka, Brunson, THJ, DFS, KP/Kleber/J Rich/Pick your 5th lineup would work on the defensive end of the court. But, if the Clippers are going to have Kawhi shadow Luka, and focus their efforts on not letting THJ or DFS (Kleber/J Rich) get looks, then that leaves KP open. If you put Brunson on the floor too in those spots, then I'm confident Brunson can give the Clippers 4th best perimeter defender the business.

Not only will KP have to step up, Kawhi will also (hopefully) be less efficient on offense if he will shadow Luka all the time. And I believe Rick knows that very well and will try to exploit it. You could already see Kawhi sleeping on defense a few times in 4th quarter in game 1. He was completely late on one of DFS's threes (if you look at the highlights, he almost stumbled, and after DFS made the shot, he was visibly angry at himself for leaving him open) and he got beat easily to the basket by THJ. His offense struggled even more in 4th, he missed some shots that are normally automatic for him. If PG goes in Pandemic P again, hopefully, Kawhi WILL struggle to perform on both ends
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#29 » by DJ_3_Ball » Tue May 25, 2021 6:55 pm

Anybody have any tips for watching the game tonight? I don't have NBA TV anymore. I'll be confined to listening to the game on the radio, or going to a sports bar to watch.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#30 » by BlueSan » Tue May 25, 2021 6:56 pm

Zubac is correct that letting Luka attempt hard shots is the way to go. If he makes them, he makes them, but definitely, that is good thinking.
Now for Luka and the Mavs, they need to be thinking about how to make sure Luka does not take too many of those and actually go in with a great plan instead of = LUKA BAIL US OUT with SUPERMAN stuff PLAN.

I expect the Clippers to win, but hey, I did in game 1 as well and I had Clippers winning in 5 max 6 as well and still do. By all means please prove me wrong.
The bad news is also that Maxi seems to have Achilles' problems. I have no idea how this entire thing can be dragging for 1 month+ now...
This can end up ugly, these things are indicators you need to rest it out until it is healed or you suffer Achilles tear...and no one wants that
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,945

Post#31 » by ducler » Tue May 25, 2021 9:23 pm

Read on Twitter
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,289

Post#32 » by Mavrelous » Tue May 25, 2021 9:41 pm

BlueSan wrote:Zubac is correct that letting Luka attempt hard shots is the way to go. If he makes them, he makes them, but definitely, that is good thinking.

Zubac is smarter than TyLue, Zubac killed the Mavs last year, he had a short stretch where Luka went insane and Lue overreacted.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by DJ_3_Ball » Wed May 26, 2021 1:35 am

So after his game 1 performance, KP decided to spend time at a Los Angeles area strip club. Not exactly Mamba Mentality :roll:
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#34 » by ejs78 » Wed May 26, 2021 2:34 am

1030 EST start

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOO

Even Jet in the NBA TV studios tonight

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by ejs78 » Wed May 26, 2021 2:42 am

Ugh Scott Foster

DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#36 » by DJ_3_Ball » Wed May 26, 2021 2:44 am

KP needs to exercise some better judgment in his shot selection
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#37 » by DJ_3_Ball » Wed May 26, 2021 3:00 am

Early takeaways. Both Kawhi & PG are playing well, and the Mavs are up by 8. This game is shaping up to be a good one!
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#38 » by ejs78 » Wed May 26, 2021 3:10 am

Scott Fosters Clippers 9 FTA

Mavs 0 FTA
ejs78 wrote:Ugh Scott Foster

JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#39 » by JD45 » Wed May 26, 2021 3:10 am

Kleber vs Kwahi duel. Not what exactly what I was expecting.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#40 » by DJ_3_Ball » Wed May 26, 2021 3:13 am

ejs78 wrote:Scott Fosters Clippers 9 FTA

Mavs 0 FTA
ejs78 wrote:Ugh Scott Foster

Which call should have been different? I didn't really see anything. Mavs haven't really been attacking the rim. Not many calls for the refs to make for them. J Rich had that foolish reach foul on Reggie Jackson. The rest have been the Clippers being aggressive taking the ball to the cup.

Return to Dallas Mavericks