ImageImageImage

Derrick Jones Jr

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Apz
Head Coach
And1: 2,126

Re: Derrick Jones Jr 

Post#21 » by Apz » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:57 pm

If thats the valuation meter, im pretty sure green gets more mins in the wc then dfs do
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,162

Post#22 » by daoneandonly » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:46 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:I mean half of us are somewhat objective.
And the objective facts are that Green is 8 years younger and at a similar level as a player with arguably better offensive skills already.
I think a lot of people confuse DFS the nice guy and hustler with DFS the player who is a quite mediocre performer, expect for some outlier games like in that WCF run of ours. But then they ignore that he absolutely sucked last season in 90% of games.
I like DFS but he's not a player you give up any assets for at this point.

I think we have to wait to see if he can even ceack the Australian team's rotation in FIBA, let alone contribute at a high level before declaring objectivity. If the choice is DFS at his current contract age and all or Green at a bigger number, I don't think the latter is the better player or bargain. Luka wants to win like now, can Josh gelp with that?

That's not how the league works though. Age and growth potential are significant contributors to perceived team and hence trade value. Last year Josh was definitely no worse than DFS, in significant parts of the season he was definitely better.
He needs to just keep improving every year and we'll be fine. At least he can still improve, DFS at 30+ is a largely finished product.

But it's a near impossibility to do worse than he did his first year and a half. He was literally one of the most useless irrelevant guys in the league. To give him a big pay day just because he improved from crap to playable is a mistake. See if another team gives him the bag and if he deserves it, match. He isn't worth any more than what Thybulle just got
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,006

Post#23 » by dirkules_41 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:54 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
I think we have to wait to see if he can even ceack the Australian team's rotation in FIBA, let alone contribute at a high level before declaring objectivity. If the choice is DFS at his current contract age and all or Green at a bigger number, I don't think the latter is the better player or bargain. Luka wants to win like now, can Josh gelp with that?

That's not how the league works though. Age and growth potential are significant contributors to perceived team and hence trade value. Last year Josh was definitely no worse than DFS, in significant parts of the season he was definitely better.
He needs to just keep improving every year and we'll be fine. At least he can still improve, DFS at 30+ is a largely finished product.

But it's a near impossibility to do worse than he did his first year and a half. He was literally one of the most useless irrelevant guys in the league. To give him a big pay day just because he improved from crap to playable is a mistake. See if another team gives him the bag and if he deserves it, match. He isn't worth any more than what Thybulle just got

DFS was a complete and utter scrub prior to being traded to BKN last year. He was getting minutes purely based on his past performance last season. Then he went to BKN and sucked even worse and yet you still get people here thinking we should trade him for our last remaining 1st round pick in the foreseeable future :lol:
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,923

Post#24 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:21 pm

If Josh really wants to stay here he can sign a 4 X 50M contract ... He will be FA at 27yo in his prime and sign a bigger deal.
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#25 » by Heezzi » Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:47 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:That's not how the league works though. Age and growth potential are significant contributors to perceived team and hence trade value. Last year Josh was definitely no worse than DFS, in significant parts of the season he was definitely better.

DFS was a complete and utter scrub prior to being traded to BKN last year. He was getting minutes purely based on his past performance last season. Then he went to BKN and sucked even worse and yet you still get people here thinking we should trade him for our last remaining 1st round pick in the foreseeable future :lol:

Facts.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#26 » by daoneandonly » Tue Oct 3, 2023 11:40 am

dirkules_41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:That's not how the league works though. Age and growth potential are significant contributors to perceived team and hence trade value. Last year Josh was definitely no worse than DFS, in significant parts of the season he was definitely better.

His offense was off in BKN sure, but his D was top notch. Everyone sucked last year, who knows why and what was going on, but the team as a whole was crap. Green will never be as good as DFS, I think that's a certain, the guy looks to be someone who's perfectly happy living in the NBA life without putting in the work.

Not sure I saw many ppl saying trade a first for DFS, I wouldn't. But Green with THJ sure
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Oct 3, 2023 1:18 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

His offense was off in BKN sure, but his D was top notch. Everyone sucked last year, who knows why and what was going on, but the team as a whole was crap. Green will never be as good as DFS, I think that's a certain, the guy looks to be someone who's perfectly happy living in the NBA life without putting in the work.

Not sure I saw many ppl saying trade a first for DFS, I wouldn't. But Green with THJ sure

I'm not sure about the bolded part... Josh Green at 22yo is an Australian NT starter, DFS at the same age was playing at College and he was a no factor in his first 2 NBA years.

Dorian is a great worker but the Josh ceiling is much more higher, it doesn't mean that Josh will become for sure a better player of course.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#28 » by daoneandonly » Tue Oct 3, 2023 7:40 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:DFS was a complete and utter scrub prior to being traded to BKN last year. He was getting minutes purely based on his past performance last season. Then he went to BKN and sucked even worse and yet you still get people here thinking we should trade him for our last remaining 1st round pick in the foreseeable future :lol:

I'm not sure about the bolded part... Josh Green at 22yo is an Australian NT starter, DFS at the same age was playing at College and he was a no factor in his first 2 NBA years.

Dorian is a great worker but the Josh ceiling is much more higher, it doesn't mean that Josh will become for sure a better player of course.

Yea i see what you're saying, i just dont see a fire in him to be the best he can be. He just seems so passive. He should be ahead of where he is now even at 22 in my opinion
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Oct 3, 2023 9:04 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Yea i see what you're saying, i just dont see a fire in him to be the best he can be. He just seems so passive. He should be ahead of where he is now even at 22 in my opinion

You are right but in the last season he showed a little bit of right mindset.
He seems soft, too soft for his job...

Anyway time will answer to us what player he is... probably i'm ok to trade him for a starting C.

Return to Dallas Mavericks