ImageImageImage

Mavs @ Wizards

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Rand10
Starter
And1: 40

Post#21 » by Rand10 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:18 pm

Terry and Stack went a combined 6-19 for 12 points. Bass was a nonfactor and Dampier was pretty bad too.
sweet daddy
Analyst
And1: 47

Post#22 » by sweet daddy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:21 pm

Yikes. From the sound of it, maybe I was better off at work. Thumped by the Wizards, scored 84 points against a lousy defensive team.

It can't be blamed on fatigue. 2 games in the last 6 days. What the ???
'daddy knows best'
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#23 » by catalyst » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:22 pm

Wiz are pretty good this year. OK< they are not the lakers sneaking into first place, but I think they have proven they do not need Gilbert to be very competitive, and may be able to sign a more team friendly player than him.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by catalyst » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:24 pm

Mavs fall to 5th. My son will freak out.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#25 » by dlts20 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:47 pm

sweet daddy wrote:Yikes. From the sound of it, maybe I was better off at work. Thumped by the Wizards, scored 84 points against a lousy defensive team.

It can't be blamed on fatigue. 2 games in the last 6 days. What the ???
We started off 0-5 this year and are 22-12 since then. In that same stretch we are 3-5 without AD because we have no other PG and all 5 of those games are games we would normaly win.

Our D is much much better this year. Our D is even better then yours. We have a top 5 defensive team. Dont keep thinking about the past. Our D has been great this year
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,138

Post#26 » by miller31time » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:59 pm

^^^ To elaborate, the Mavericks were actually a better defensive team prior to this game (DAL - 14th in defensive efficiency / WAS - 15th), but today's contest might switch our places.

Even if that unfolds, Dallas is still the 2nd best offensive team in the NBA, with Washington being 12th-best.

Good game, and good luck the rest of the season.
mavsfoty
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#27 » by mavsfoty » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:00 pm

dlts20 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Our D is much much better this year. Our D is even better then yours. We have a top 5 defensive team. Dont keep thinking about the past. Our D has been great this year

Ok we get it your D is improved.

Anyway, every time we went on a mini run they hit a ridiculously difficult 3. The backcourt stunk up the joint today. Too many TO's and poor shooting.
dlts20
RealGM

Post#28 » by dlts20 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:13 pm

miller31time wrote:^^^ To elaborate, the Mavericks were actually a better defensive team prior to this game (DAL - 14th in defensive efficiency / WAS - 15th), but today's contest might switch our places.

Even if that unfolds, Dallas is still the 2nd best offensive team in the NBA, with Washington being 12th-best.

Good game, and good luck the rest of the season.
Well I dont know how those stats work but I find it strange that either of us would be ranked that low. The stats I pay attention to are the FG% D and the rebounding margin. We are 8th in FG D while I think Dallas is 11th and we are 7th in rebounding margin while I think Dallas is like 5th. If Im correct, we also force alot of turnovers so how do we get way down at 15, even though thats not horrible either.
dlts20
RealGM

Post#29 » by dlts20 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:16 pm

mavsfoty wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Ok we get it your D is improved.

Anyway, every time we went on a mini run they hit a ridiculously difficult 3. The backcourt stunk up the joint today. Too many TO's and poor shooting.
yeah man I wasnt talking smack; Im just sick of people still thinking the samethings about us. Our D is way better this year and you can see it when you play us.

You guys are clearly still an elite team while we are hoping to be there when Gil gets back. People have always had 3 big criticizms of us. Our D sucks, our bigs suck, and we have no depth. Now we are much better in all 3 of those catagories and hopefully Gil can put us over the top. People forget that we were in 1st place in the East last year until we got decimated by injuries
ppp000
Pro Prospect

Post#30 » by ppp000 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:30 pm

catalyst wrote:Mavs fall to 5th. My son will freak out.

In general, people are too concerned with seeding. I think only one first seed has won the ring in the last 7 years. (This is directed in general to those fans that obsess with seeding)

Anyways : too many TOs, bad shooting and shot selection, no D and thats the game. They had a great 3 pt % and we could't counter nor get any stops.

Main concerns:
-when our shooting fails, we still do not have someone who will relentlessly get to the FT line instead of settling for jumpers
-our Cs are too inconsistent
-our D needs work, regressed from last season
-our road record is sad
Rand10
Starter
And1: 40

Post#31 » by Rand10 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:42 pm

ppp000 wrote:Main concerns:
-when our shooting fails, we still do not have someone who will relentlessly get to the FT line instead of settling for jumpers
-our road record is sad

Harris started to get to the line at the end. He needs have that aggresion throughout the game though.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by catalyst » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:44 pm

Maybe I should elaborate. My 7 Year old son is worried about it. I tell him to not get worried until March, but he is 7. And sometimes he acts more mature than some on this board, no one really IDed for my assessment.
ppp000
Pro Prospect

Post#33 » by ppp000 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:47 pm

catalyst wrote:Maybe I should elaborate. My 7 Year old son is worried about it. I tell him to not get worried until March, but he is 7. And sometimes he acts more mature than some on this board, no one really IDed for my assessment.

yes I quoted you only b/c I wanted to make that point, it wasn't directed at you or your son but towards those fans in the past that I have seen who complain whenever we lose b/c we're no longer 1st.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by catalyst » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:03 pm

Didnt take it that way. Just wanted to show you who does care about first place in Jan.
JES12
RealGM
And1: 125

Post#35 » by JES12 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:18 pm

See what the Wizards can do WITHOUT Gilbrert Arenas. As I stated numerous times before, Arenas will NEVER win a chanpionship so long as he is a starter.

Anyways, back to this game...
This looked like the GSW series all over again. Turnovers like crazy, the other team hitting anything they throw near the basket wether it be a difficult inside shot or a 30 ft 3.

Time to put this one behind us and focus on the next game. Remeber Washington...the last team to sweep us, knocked us out of the playoffs.
ppp000
Pro Prospect

Post#36 » by ppp000 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:25 pm

Other things that I noticed:
-stackhouse takes too many ill-advised shots, he's better when he's not shooting jumpers like he's good at it and when he's setting others up.
-Dirk is too passive and deflects too much to others, I know he's working on his passing and double teams but he needs to be the first option late in the game, not the 3rd and he himself needs to demand the ball. I'd like to see this pickup as the season goes on. Also he should attempt more 3s, hopefully his 3 ball starts falling more regularly.
Colombiano972
Sophomore

Post#37 » by Colombiano972 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:56 pm

ppp000 wrote:Other things that I noticed:
-stackhouse takes too many ill-advised shots, he's better when he's not shooting jumpers like he's good at it and when he's setting others up.
-Dirk is too passive and deflects too much to others, I know he's working on his passing and double teams but he needs to be the first option late in the game, not the 3rd and he himself needs to demand the ball. I'd like to see this pickup as the season goes on. Also he should attempt more 3s, hopefully his 3 ball starts falling more regularly.

QFT. I get so tired of seeing Stack jack up so many shots, when the ball should actually be going to J-Ho (especially today) and Dirk when they are in the groove.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 892

Post#38 » by Teffer10 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:12 am

ppp000 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

In general, people are too concerned with seeding. I think only one first seed has won the ring in the last 7 years. (This is directed in general to those fans that obsess with seeding)

Anyways : too many TOs, bad shooting and shot selection, no D and thats the game. They had a great 3 pt % and we could't counter nor get any stops.

Main concerns:
-our road record is sad

Didn't get to see the game but notice that Bass only played 10 minutes. Any reason why???

I notice that Terry only had 4 pts in 27 min. I'll say it again...this team seems to go as Terry goes which is a very scary thought if you are a Mavs fan.
ppp000
Pro Prospect

Post#39 » by ppp000 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:27 am

we're losing more games b/c of our defense..not b/c of Terry. Our team depends on Dirk and Devin, when those two are dominant, we're really great. Devin b/c he drives to the basket and runs the offense, and Dirk..that's obvious. Obviously everyone else is also important but if those two have passive nights, it's hard to win many games.

I don't know what's up with Terry but I still like the idea of him coming off the bench. As long as we're moving away from depending on him that's great b/c he is so inconsistent and a blackhole defensively.

Last season even when our shots weren't falling (like today), we could still count on our Defense to get stops and win games...not so much this season.

And Bass is great against certain teams but he can't defend the paint and did nothing today which is why he played only 10 mins I think...but then again who knows with Avery's weird lineups at times.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#40 » by studcrackers » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:23 am

Well im glad i didnt wake up to watch this game, just looking at the box score we had 3 guys combine for 67 points, they had i think 3 guys that combined for 66. the difference was they got nearly 40 more points from the rest while we got a putrid 17 points.

not shocked to see terry and stack combine to go 6-19 either, i am surprised that damp was 1-6 though, mustve been a bad game. hopefully we can go into charlotte and handle them and then beat the lakers friday (i get to see kobe live, hooray for me)
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes

Return to Dallas Mavericks