ImageImageImage

Nets-Portland-Dallas

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

JapanAir21
Junior
And1: 0

Post#21 » by JapanAir21 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:44 am

Dammit. Giving up anything more than Devean George kills our bench. I'm real nervous about our production if we lose Harris, and he's well loved by all of us.
JES12
RealGM
And1: 125

Post#22 » by JES12 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:15 am

If there is anything to that story, Cuban needs to lay down the crackpipe. But I'm betting on that one source that said those talks are dead Wen. and only had merit on Tue.

studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#23 » by studcrackers » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:22 am

yea id assume that talks are dead if thats how its described, if we kill our future for jason kidd i might just give up. i just dont see us winning w/him and w/o devin
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
ppp000
Pro Prospect

Post#24 » by ppp000 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:29 am

My thoughts:
-So I didn't think the Mavs would give up on Harris, but now I think they would (Avery loves old vets and he wouldn't have to call the plays anymore and I'm sure Avery has a say. Harris has always been a Cuban fav.)

-Deal is stalled b/c of Portland and also b/c Mavs (hopefully) realize the big loss of significant role player(s) AND Harris.

-Mavs are NOT in a hurry to make this deal, they are sitting at 30-13. But the one thing that should happen is to take action soon, either pull the plug or publicly say that the team is as it is.

We really should just be concentrating on improving each month to gear up for the playoffs, not engaging in a high-profile blockbuster potential trade(s). That's what pisses me off. Also its conceding that this team doesnt believe it has what it takes.
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,299

Post#25 » by Hoops23 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:58 am

Mods,
Why not trade this post to the other?
Darren
RealGM
And1: 872

Post#26 » by Darren » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:15 pm

ppp000 wrote:Here's what I think:
-there is NO incentive for Portland to do this trade, giving away 3 key guys for Harris.

-The whole trade is bogus. The Mavs are not budging for Harris OR the Nets do not want Harris and so they are both trying to get a 3rd team involved...thus Portland, which is a young, up and coming team that has no reason to make a significant trade unless there is high reward, which isn't the case here.

-The Mavs also do NOT have any incentive to lose depth and Harris. Good for those who think Kidd = guaranteed ring, but in the loaded West we are 30-13 and last I checked, doing very well with an improved Harris. If we wanted to make a big change, we would do so to get what we most need: a SG and a C.

-The Nets could do better than dealing with the Mavs. Maybe they should deal directly with Portland if the Blazers really are willing to give up 3 youngsters for a PG.

I disagree on this one. Those 3 - Jack, Frye, Outlaw - are not key players to the Blazers. Jack and Frye shows flashes of talent but they turn out underachieving. This disappoints a lot from the Blazers. Outlaw's value is not as high as Devin.

Devin's absolutely the final piece of their championship puzzle: Oden, LMA, Webster, Roy AND Devin Harris? It would be the next Pheonix Suns with a real uptempo center. Or at least, we'll see an even more versatile Hornets in the making.

BUT I don't think we should trade Devin in any deal for Kidd. At least, not until Devin gets serious injury to end his career early.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#27 » by catalyst » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:21 pm

Hoops23 wrote:Mods,
Why not trade this post to the other?

What does that mean? Move to trade board?
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Post#28 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:02 pm

portland perspective here...

First, I'm guessing all of the 'reporting' on this is based upon leaks from NJ's front office in an attempt to drive Kidd's price up. Of course some could be leaks from Dallas and Portland by those truing to kill the deal as those team's fanbases would tend to squawk about the proposals.

I know Portland would have doubts about this trade, and I'd assume Dallas would as well.

Portland would be giving up, Outlaw, Frye, and Jack for Harris and Bass. That would help their backcourt but hurt their frontcourt. Outlaw is definitely better then Bass and could really explode in th next 2 years. I'm sure that's the basis for Portland's reluctance.

Personally, I'm not sure why Dallas would trade Harris, Stackhouse, and Bass for Kidd. But maybe he'd give them that Championship.
your_dallas_mavericks
Starter
And1: 5

Post#29 » by your_dallas_mavericks » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:04 pm

Stackhouse would be bought out, odds are he would return to Dallas within a week or so. Bottom line is the Mavs end up with Stack back. That would be huge if you think about it.
If we could just close games with Luka, Kyrie, Green, Maxi, and Wood that'd be great...
JES12
RealGM

Post#30 » by JES12 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:51 pm

your_dallas_mavericks wrote:Stackhouse would be bought out, odds are he would return to Dallas within a week or so. Bottom line is the Mavs end up with Stack back. That would be huge if you think about it.
I can care less if Stack returns. Harris & Bass are bigger losses.

And that Portland fan undersetimates Bass if he thinks their frountcourt gets hurt. Losing Outlaw would be big, but Bass is better than Frye and Harris is much better than Jack.
mavsfoty
Sixth Man

Post#31 » by mavsfoty » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:57 pm

your_dallas_mavericks wrote:Stackhouse would be bought out, odds are he would return to Dallas within a week or so. Bottom line is the Mavs end up with Stack back. That would be huge if you think about it.

I could have sworn the NBA had outlawed this. Am I crazy?
JES12
RealGM

Post#32 » by JES12 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:06 pm

mavsfoty wrote:I could have sworn the NBA had outlawed this. Am I crazy?
Nope, we did the same thing with Alan Henderson & (I think) Booth for KVH. Henderson was bought out (100% due to being waived) and Dallas resigned him to a min contract.

That would be interesting if the additional lux tax Kidd would bring is offset by lowering Stack's payroll from 6.75 to 1.25 per year.

However, since Stack's contract is 3 years, I think the Nets try to trade him in a seperate trade this year or next before being strapped, cap, wise with any buyout figures the next 3 years.
jwa1107
General Manager

Post#33 » by jwa1107 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:59 pm

^^^ just Hendu
he had an expiring, got waived by MIL and we signed him to vet min a few days later
JES12
RealGM

Post#34 » by JES12 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:02 pm

jwa1107 wrote:^^^ just Hendu
he had an expiring, got waived by MIL and we signed him to vet min a few days later
No, there was someone else in that trade. That, I am certain of, but remembering who it was, I can't. I think it was Booth. Henderson was paid near 8 mil and KVH was paid near 15.

Edit: I found a source.
DALLAS -- The ever-tinkering Dallas Mavericks made a surprising move to bolster their rotation Thursday, getting Keith Van Horn from the Milwaukee Bucks for Alan Henderson, Calvin Booth and cash.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1998910
ChampionRed
Assistant Coach
And1: 881

Post#35 » by ChampionRed » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:30 pm

Didn't the NBA change that rule about being traded, bought out, then returning to the same team? I thought after Payton did it when he was traded to the hawks made them change the rules. Payton was traded from the celtics to the hawks, released, then signed back with the celtics.
Sun Scorched
Lead Assistant
And1: 280

Post#36 » by Sun Scorched » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:58 pm

I don't know in what capacity it will happen, but I think the Mavs would be much better off with a point who could distribute. I know it isn't as vital in your system with Josh and Dirk being able to create their own shots, but I do think they would benefit.

Having a point gaurd that can take the pressure off of your main scorers every other trip doen the floor would really help you guys coast through most games.
On Steve Nash:
G35 wrote:He may run a great offense but I wouldn't choose him over Amare to start a team.
DDansby123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#37 » by DDansby123 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:04 pm

Sun Scorched wrote:I don't know in what capacity it will happen, but I think the Mavs would be much better off with a point who could distribute. I know it isn't as vital in your system with Josh and Dirk being able to create their own shots, but I do think they would benefit.

Having a point gaurd that can take the pressure off of your main scorers every other trip doen the floor would really help you guys coast through most games.

I agree completely, and let me add that, IMO, the only reason our "system" is isolation-oriented is because we don't have a PG who can distribute and really run the offense.
Varsity878
Freshman

Post#38 » by Varsity878 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:58 pm

Netsultimatefan63 wrote:Didn't the NBA change that rule about being traded, bought out, then returning to the same team? I thought after Payton did it when he was traded to the hawks made them change the rules. Payton was traded from the celtics to the hawks, released, then signed back with the celtics.

Yes, the CBA made a change to the rule. Players who are traded to a team and waived cannot resign with the team that traded them for 30 days (20 days if its in the offseason).

Herein lies the problem. If this trade had went down on Monday, there was a slim chance that Stackhouse could resign with the Mavs and be eligible for the playoffs. However, players can only be playoff eligible if they sign before March 1st. So its virtually no way Stackhouse could return to the Mavs and play in the playoffs for them. He can sign with them for the rest of the regular season however. Its probably likely he will just go somewhere else.
JES12
RealGM

Post#39 » by JES12 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:18 pm

That's some good info, Varsity878.

With as much as the Mavs FO likes Stack, I can't see a Harris + Stack + others trade occuring.
oldeagle
Senior

Post#40 » by oldeagle » Fri Feb 1, 2008 1:50 am

I don't see Harris leaving. So unless there is something crazy happening, there won't be a Kidd trade.

Return to Dallas Mavericks