ImageImageImage

Rumor: VC to the Mavs for Terry,Diop,George,Pick?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Jimmy103
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#21 » by Jimmy103 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 1:10 am

Just roll the dice

Maybe between Dirk and Vince 1 of them won't choke
JES12
RealGM
And1: 125

Post#22 » by JES12 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 1:28 am

Jimmy103 wrote:Just roll the dice

Maybe between Dirk and Vince 1 of them won't choke

:rofl:
SaintofKillers
Assistant Coach
And1: 506

Post#23 » by SaintofKillers » Sat Feb 9, 2008 3:06 am

VC's offensive talent is impressive no doubt BUT he's a glass-bodied 30 year-old that has a horrible, albatross contract and plays little to no defense. If we can get that for a Pau Gasol type of deal in that you practically give away nothing then sure, I'll probably do it, but giving away our 2nd best shooter and an inconsistent but good, young back-up center is a no-no for me.
JES12
RealGM

Post#24 » by JES12 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 4:13 am

SaintofKillers wrote:VC's offensive talent is impressive no doubt BUT he's a glass-bodied 30 year-old that has a horrible, albatross contract and plays little to no defense. If we can get that for a Pau Gasol type of deal in that you practically give away nothing then sure, I'll probably do it, but giving away our 2nd best shooter and an inconsistent but good, young back-up center is a no-no for me.
Hense, upgrade to Stackhouse.....

Stack + Filler (Filler = Hassell, not George & Jones) for Carter.
itsgotime
Junior
And1: 2

Post#25 » by itsgotime » Sat Feb 9, 2008 3:14 pm

I wouldn't mind a Carter for JET and Stack trade on our end. It gets rid of our two crutch players for Avery and gets a guy who does drive for layups 35% of the time (261 layups/dunks in 742 total attempts). That's more than JHo drives to the basket so far this season (28% with 206 layups/dunks in 737 total attempts).

Carter is a roll of the dice because of his injuries, however, if he stays healthy he gives a very legit 2nd option. That moves Josh down to being a 3rd option and Devin down to 4th. That is a great 1-4th option group. On defense it is no different other than we'll be able to get George and Hassell off the bench more because leaving would be 55 minutes of play while coming in is 38 minutes of play (and I don't think Carter gets that many minutes on this team, to preserve his health).

The backup PG would then be JJB but we can go with a lineup of Carter, Josh, Bass, Dirk and Damp with Carter playing the PG position to spell Devin when Avery doesn't think JJB is going to be enough. Carter can handle the ball well enough to get it down the court.

This trade also opens up the ability for Devin to get more shot attempts up, which would hopefully get him more comfortable with his shot. Terry and Stack combine for 921 FGA while Carter has 742. The rest of those shots are spread around and given to more open players (because of having more scoring at the rim). Carter averages 5 assists per game, meaning that he knows how to hit the open man when he is being guarded well.

This isn't a better option IMO than getting Miller or Maggette in here, however we don't seem to have the pieces to entice a trade for those guys. Artest is an option too, but I think the same problem might exsist with a trade for him too.

On NJ's side, they get JET as their starting SG (he seems to play better as a starter) and Stack as their 6th man. This becomes a retool as opposed to a rebuild for this team who seemingly is wanting to go to Brooklyn with a winning team. It might be enough to make Kidd more happy with his situation there and gives him two new/motivated players to play with.
itsgotime
Junior
And1: 2

Post#26 » by itsgotime » Sat Feb 9, 2008 3:38 pm

Forgot to post one of the more important things to this trade. It gives us the opportunity to have an 8 man playoff roster as opposed to the extended 9 man rotation. I believe in the playoffs that playing your best players more is better than playing more players.

Devin, Carter, Josh, EJ/Hassell/George (whoever is playing the best with the team come playoff time), Dirk, Bass, Damp and Diop. Whichever two of the EJ/Hassell/George group doesn't get in the 8 man rotation become situational substitutions throughout the playoffs along with JJB.

One other thing that is not inconsequential. Carter brings 265 FTA to Terry and Stack's 217 combined.

Also as I said about the Cle trade. I can see why there are Mavs fans that don't want this trade especially if we have to give up Diop (I know he's not getting many minutes currently, I am still holding out hope for Avery to come to his senses and play him.). I just believe that this trade could pretty easily make us a better team. A lot of that depends on what Carter is going to show up on this team, however the alternative is sticking with JET and Stack to jumpshoot us to a championship.
Sken
Junior
And1: 0

Post#27 » by Sken » Sat Feb 9, 2008 8:24 pm

I would be completely in favor of a Carter trade. However, I am quite sure that AJ will not give up on Stack and certainly would hesitate to banish him to NJ.

The second issue is that without JET Dallas would have to depend on JJB as the primary backup to Harris, and AJ is probably not willing to go to war with that.

Since AJ is not willing/able to part with his two biggest man-crushes Dallas will have to come up with the 10+ million for Carter with a package using Hassel as the bulk of the salary.

The unfortunate side effect to that is that mark is unwilling to play the KVH card to get anyone outside of apparently Kobe & KG. I thought there was a third player (Shaq) but apparently Dallas did not pursue that option aggressively. They obviously will not chase Carter with KVH.

Whether or not a 3rd team is involved, does Dallas even have enough salaries without touching their core (or perceived) valued players or KVH in order to accomplish a trade.

I do hope, but I truly don't think it will happen. Same prediction I made at the Superbowl.
10:20 (pm, 6/29/06) The Mavs take Maurice Ager at No. 28... Ager walks up to the stage in a triple-breasted, oversized beige suit, goes to shake hands with Stern and immediately gets whistled for a foul on Dwyane Wade.
myconsumerclub
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#28 » by myconsumerclub » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:01 am

No to Diop being included
thierry
Lead Assistant
And1: 649

Post#29 » by thierry » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:00 am

Carter on Dallas would be amazing. Harris/Carter/Howard/Nowitzki/Dampier would be the hottest team in the West. A trio of Carter/Howard/Nowitzki would be so impossible to stop in the half court.
JES12
RealGM

Post#30 » by JES12 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:04 am

thierry wrote:Carter on Dallas would be amazing. Harris/Carter/Howard/Nowitzki/Dampier would be the hottest team in the West. A trio of Carter/Howard/Nowitzki would be so impossible to stop in the half court.
If you are talkig half court, you need to include Devin as he can cut trhough and kick out of the half court defense better than anyone in that trio.
thierry
Lead Assistant
And1: 649

Post#31 » by thierry » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:19 am

JES12 wrote:If you are talkig half court, you need to include Devin as he can cut trhough and kick out of the half court defense better than anyone in that trio.

My point is that Dirk and Carter are both players who command doubles instantly, and Howard is a guy who will draw occasional doubles. But yeah, Harris also kicking to Carter, Howard, and Dirk, who are all great shooters, that offense would be very very very difficult to stop. I wanna see this happen.

Return to Dallas Mavericks