ImageImageImage

Trade Discussion 22/23

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,612

Re: Trade Discussion 21/22 

Post#3921 » by Maverick41 » Wed May 4, 2022 12:31 am

arkuo wrote:Wolves are putting D'Angelo Russell on the trade block. Earning $31M but expiring next year. Which makes the numbers appealing for Dallas who is nearing hard cap territory. THJ + Dinwiddie for D'lo and filler? Those names dont play defense anyway. You're not losing any defensive numbers with THJ.

I would do that trade, but not because of Russell's fit or talent but because his contract will be expiring. I'm not a fan of Russell as a starter. Too much defensive deficiencies, unathletic, inconsistent shot and questionable IQ. As a super 6th man and Luka-lite off the bench, I like though since he can feast on bench units. This is the type of trade I can see the FO looking at. Trading some of our bad contracts for players on expiring deals that can contribute. Personally I think THJ would have to be re-routed elsewhere since Minny already has their THJ in Beasley but good trade idea.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,032

Post#3922 » by Apz » Wed May 4, 2022 11:00 pm

Even wolves fans say he cant play offball which limits his use. And yeah I hate the player. Is just tanking move. Dont think there is any trade between them that makes sense, both are at that mid west ish position and need to upgrade talent. Probably need to trade with worse teams to get talent level up
Darren
RealGM
And1: 833

Post#3923 » by Darren » Thu May 5, 2022 2:43 am

The Mavs has to get more two-wayed players or potential two-wayed players. If Bullock and Chriss could make an impact, so is improving Green and Ntilikina, you know two-wayed players will impact point differential moving forward. Instead of stocking big money on one-wayed players. Why not develop from within with some low dollar pick ups?
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,032

Post#3924 » by Apz » Thu May 5, 2022 3:24 am

WTS powell, only demand half a sack of onions
Darren
RealGM
And1: 833

Post#3925 » by Darren » Thu May 5, 2022 5:10 am

Buddy Hield, Miles Turner, McConnell or Bogdan for Tim Hardaway, Dwight Powell, Brunson, 2022 1st draft right and next available 1st.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,865

Post#3926 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu May 5, 2022 5:15 am

Apz wrote:WTS powell, only demand half a sack of onions

I think he is the worst starting C in the PO history, obviously it's not his fault.

But i still don't understand why Nico had not pick up a C in some way last market session. At least a big body.
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#3927 » by Maverick41 » Thu May 5, 2022 5:32 am

41Dirk41 wrote:But i still don't understand why Nico had not pick up a C in some way last market session. At least a big body.

Exactly what I've been saying for months. The FO traded our starting C and did absolutely nothing to help fill that gigantic void. How many fans here were okay with that still boggles me.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#3928 » by LAL1947 » Thu May 5, 2022 5:35 am

Darren wrote:The Mavs has to get more two-wayed players or potential two-wayed players. If Bullock and Chriss could make an impact, so is improving Green and Ntilikina, you know two-wayed players will impact point differential moving forward. Instead of stocking big money on one-wayed players. Why not develop from within with some low dollar pick ups?

Most importantly, the Mavs need someone who can form part of a proper "1-2 punch" along with Luka. The other stars in this league all have that, some even have more than 1.

Giannis....... Middleton, Jrue
Steph.......... Klay, Dray, Wiggins
Tatum........ Jaylen, White, Smart
KD.............. Kyrie, Simmons
Embiid........ Harden, Maxey/Tobias
Lebron........ AD, Westbrook
Kawhi......... Paula, Reggie
Butler......... Bam
Morant........ Jaren Jackson
KAT............ Ant
Donovan..... Gobert

Also, the Mavs have some 3&D players like Kleber, DFS, Bullock... but these guys can only shoot and defend, not much else in between. So maybe it's more appropriate to say they need more "quality" basketball players.

Quality = not be a liability on defense + be good at 2 of these 3 things:
- shoot
- drive to the rim
- make plays for themselves

Or be really elite at something important... like Robert Williams on defense.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,934

Post#3929 » by arkuo » Thu May 5, 2022 5:43 am

Maverick41 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:But i still don't understand why Nico had not pick up a C in some way last market session. At least a big body.

Exactly what I've been saying for months. The FO traded our starting C and did absolutely nothing to help fill that gigantic void. How many fans here were okay with that still boggles me.

Nico seems to have other plans. Getting a C via trade this season means you take in another contract that would most likely run another 2 or 3 years to the team. His brand of team building seems to be done in stages. The first thing was to find a taker for KP and everything else is just determined as sunk cost. The next thing is find out if Dinwiddie works out. Most of the team will be cleared in 2023 with the exception of Luka, THJ and Brunson (if he is re-signed). That means the next phase can begin next season when guys like Dinwiddie and Bertans only have 1 to 2 years left on their deals. Which is pretty tradable. It opens up a lot of doors IMO. Myles Turner is UFA 2023. Dame Lillard can ask for a trade anytime and Dallas will have large contracts and picks to match that supermax of his. The contracts can be a combined package of Brunson + THJ + Bertans (early termination option). Then a slew of picks that only start the year Dame's contract expires with Dallas. So essentially Dallas will be betting on winning a ring asap with Luka and Dame. And Portland will be betting on Dallas suckkng after those years so the picks could be higher. Both sides take risk. But I think if you're Dallas you have to do it. Luka + Dame will give you a ceiling higher than a Brunson + Luka tandem ever will.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#3930 » by Mike lorenzo » Thu May 5, 2022 3:12 pm

arkuo wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:

Nico seems to have other plans. Getting a C via trade this season means you take in another contract that would most likely run another 2 or 3 years to the team. His brand of team building seems to be done in stages. The first thing was to find a taker for KP and everything else is just determined as sunk cost. The next thing is find out if Dinwiddie works out. Most of the team will be cleared in 2023 with the exception of Luka, THJ and Brunson (if he is re-signed). That means the next phase can begin next season when guys like Dinwiddie and Bertans only have 1 to 2 years left on their deals. Which is pretty tradable. It opens up a lot of doors IMO. Myles Turner is UFA 2023. Dame Lillard can ask for a trade anytime and Dallas will have large contracts and picks to match that supermax of his. The contracts can be a combined package of Brunson + THJ + Bertans (early termination option). Then a slew of picks that only start the year Dame's contract expires with Dallas. So essentially Dallas will be betting on winning a ring asap with Luka and Dame. And Portland will be betting on Dallas suckkng after those years so the picks could be higher. Both sides take risk. But I think if you're Dallas you have to do it. Luka + Dame will give you a ceiling higher than a Brunson + Luka tandem ever will.

If we're going to get a star to put together Luka, I hope and wish it's not Dame...my dream would be a prototype PGeorge (yes, I know these guys don't grow on trees) or Adebayo...someone that goes well together to Luka and cover his flaws..Siakam/Middleton/Anunoby and even Gobert if it was "easy" enough to obtain.. I'm optimistic for this offseason... I think you pay Jalen and trade him on the deadline... Suddenly a locked Jalen would be much more valuable in that scenario for a Turner about to expire... Isaac (yes, he can still play )
1+1=11
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#3931 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu May 5, 2022 3:18 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:Exactly what I've been saying for months. The FO traded our starting C and did absolutely nothing to help fill that gigantic void. How many fans here were okay with that still boggles me.

If we're going to get a star to put together Luka, I hope and wish it's not Dame...my dream would be a prototype PGeorge (yes, I know these guys don't grow on trees) or Adebayo...someone that goes well together to Luka and cover his flaws..Siakam/Middleton/Anunoby and even Gobert if it was "easy" enough to obtain.. I'm optimistic for this offseason... I think you pay Jalen and trade him on the deadline... Suddenly a locked Jalen would be much more valuable in that scenario for a Turner about to expire... Isaac (yes, he can still play )

Agree.

Obviously having Dame is better than Brunson/Dinwiddie ecc ecc but i prefer another type of player.

The priority is the C, without that spot you can't win against elite team. Dame or not Dame.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,934

Post#3932 » by arkuo » Thu May 5, 2022 6:50 pm

I think another good scenario is Mavs keep Brunson for next year and have him lead the 2nd unit. Mavs can trade Dinwiddie because he has raised his value from his days in Washington for say, a Malcolm Brogdon who Indiana has also placed on the trade block. Brogdon is still 6'5 and is an off ball guard. Can start with Luka. Brunson leads the bench. And Dinwiddie takes a secondary role to Haliburton which Indiana likes.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#3933 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu May 5, 2022 7:10 pm

arkuo wrote:I think another good scenario is Mavs keep Brunson for next year and have him lead the 2nd unit. Mavs can trade Dinwiddie because he has raised his value from his days in Washington for say, a Malcolm Brogdon who Indiana has also placed on the trade block. Brogdon is still 6'5 and is an off ball guard. Can start with Luka. Brunson leads the bench. And Dinwiddie takes a secondary role to Haliburton which Indiana likes.

Agree.

Brunson and Dinwiddie are both 6man guy, nothing more.

We need a starter G or F who can defend and dribble.
Brogdon is perfect, but he is often injuried.

I don't know if dump Bertans is a good idea, best shooter on the team and the only who runs around the screens for take the shot. Like THJ.

Bullock/DFS/Maxi are only spot up shooters. It's different. They don't move the defense.

With a good C (and back up C) i think Bertans could have a role.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,975

Post#3934 » by Mavrelous » Thu May 5, 2022 7:35 pm

I doubt the Spurs would deal with the Mavs, but I'd offer the 3Bs + 22 1st + 2 2nds for Poeltl.
And I'd trade Powell for Favors, I think Powell is a better player, but this trade allows the Mavs to "recharge" their TPE and make is 11 millions.
This TPE will be super helpful in case Brunson decides to go elsewhere, and will help Mavs to facilitate a trade.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#3935 » by Maverick41 » Thu May 5, 2022 11:52 pm

arkuo wrote:Nico seems to have other plans. Getting a C via trade this season means you take in another contract that would most likely run another 2 or 3 years to the team. His brand of team building seems to be done in stages. The first thing was to find a taker for KP and everything else is just determined as sunk cost. The next thing is find out if Dinwiddie works out. Most of the team will be cleared in 2023 with the exception of Luka, THJ and Brunson (if he is re-signed). That means the next phase can begin next season when guys like Dinwiddie and Bertans only have 1 to 2 years left on their deals. Which is pretty tradable. It opens up a lot of doors IMO. .

I understand that Nico is looking to the future and I know you and some others have said that many times. My point is that a good GM doesn't just look towards the future and ignore the problems in front of him. When asked about about adding a center, Nico was emphatic about going into the playoffs with Powell and Maxi. He could have added a center with the TPE or on the buyout market and chose not to. This is the equivalent of a manager of a company letting go one of their top employees and saying "alright guys, we're not replacing him until sometime next year. I expect all of you to handle his production by committee now. Sorry you're going need to suck it up and dig deep." Handling by committee can work for a time until you run into issues that is beyond the employees' capabilities. And right now Dwight and Maxi are being asked to play way beyond their means. That's not their fault, that's the fault of the manager.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,975

Post#3936 » by Mavrelous » Fri May 6, 2022 8:05 am

I want Dillon Brooks, he's not a great fit in the Gizzlies, they actually played better without him, but he's a dog and he can put his head down and get his own bucket (albeit inefficiently).
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,102

Post#3937 » by daoneandonly » Fri May 6, 2022 10:24 am

The biggest issues plaguing this team was the kP trade and their total inability to scout and draft. The trade to get KP was a miss, but at least you understand the rationale. The problem was, unlike what Philly did with Embiid and Pels will soon do with Zion, this team foolishly handed KP a max without any injury clauses. That led to the second KP trade where we got the absolute worst return possible. Dinwiddie has been brutal this postseason and Bertans is a trash bum. Some of that could have been alleviated if they had common sense in drafting. Like taking Trent Jr over Brunson, or Bey/Maxey/Bane over Green
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#3938 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri May 6, 2022 12:51 pm

KhalilS wrote:I want Dillon Brooks, he's not a great fit in the Gizzlies, they actually played better without him, but he's a dog and he can put his head down and get his own bucket (albeit inefficiently).

Me too, i'm a big fan on him from years.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#3939 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri May 6, 2022 1:01 pm

daoneandonly wrote:The biggest issues plaguing this team was the kP trade and their total inability to scout and draft. The trade to get KP was a miss, but at least you understand the rationale. The problem was, unlike what Philly did with Embiid and Pels will soon do with Zion, this team foolishly handed KP a max without any injury clauses. That led to the second KP trade where we got the absolute worst return possible. Dinwiddie has been brutal this postseason and Bertans is a trash bum. Some of that could have been alleviated if they had common sense in drafting. Like taking Trent Jr over Brunson, or Bey/Maxey/Bane over Green

Cuban was terrible for 5/6 years, when PHX drafted Ayton they were far behind Dallas and ok Ayton is good but not nearly good as Luka.

Now they are 3years ahead of us, it's a shame.
Cuban wrong every single move, he wasted at least 3years of Doncic.

I've said last year, Cuban will be remember as the owner who didn't win with Luka. Idiot.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,102

Post#3940 » by daoneandonly » Fri May 6, 2022 1:14 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
KhalilS wrote:I want Dillon Brooks, he's not a great fit in the Gizzlies, they actually played better without him, but he's a dog and he can put his head down and get his own bucket (albeit inefficiently).

Me too, i'm a big fan on him from years.

I like Brooks too, was hoping Mavs could have nabbed him in the draft that year. He''d be a solid addition here, I like a trio of him Luka and DFS together with a quality center

Return to Dallas Mavericks