ImageImageImage

What's The Starting Lineup Now?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Apz
Head Coach
And1: 2,073

Re: What's The Starting Lineup Now? 

Post#61 » by Apz » Tue Oct 5, 2021 1:23 am

Dont know why, but fell in love with eugene when i saw this video after draft. Just finished watching the fan jam game, and he impresses. Not sure what the rules are to convert a 2way to normal but they should do it right away. He is pretty skilled and got that dfs dog in him.

Did brunson look slimmer? Seemed faster.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,171

Post#62 » by Mr B » Tue Oct 5, 2021 4:05 am

Apz wrote:Dont know why, but fell in love with eugene when i saw this video after draft. Just finished watching the fan jam game, and he impresses. Not sure what the rules are to convert a 2way to normal but they should do it right away. He is pretty skilled and got that dfs dog in him.

I’ve heard of Eugene referred to a poor man’s Draymond.
Apz
Head Coach

Post#63 » by Apz » Tue Oct 5, 2021 4:53 am

Mr B wrote:
Apz wrote:Dont know why, but fell in love with eugene when i saw this video after draft. Just finished watching the fan jam game, and he impresses. Not sure what the rules are to convert a 2way to normal but they should do it right away. He is pretty skilled and got that dfs dog in him.

Except he can still move?:) I think the comparison is because they kinda look alike, eugene already looked more skilled But hard to say from 1 game. Im not ready to go as far as someone did and say he should start, but to me he should be in the top 10 rotation.

Looked like moses still got tons to learn. Even to just get to wcs level. Enthusiastic tho. But he get thd chance to shoot, airball. Wcs just drills that 3 like nothing. Guess it depends who u ask if its worth to try to develop him or better to stick with wcs. If raptofs take a moses powell burke package for dragic, just take it and worry later.

Personally, and i know it wont happen, i would just cut boban and terry, and change eugenes contract to full time. Preferably in combination with the raptors trade mentioned. Opens up 2 more rosterspots and always someone that want to pay a decent asset to dump a useful player into the tpe.

Also, dont see what issue someone had with sterling and reggie. Hit some shots, but that team really had a bad flow both when jalen and whoever the other guy were ran the point. Think it had a lot to do with 1st game together.

I got a feeling we will be fine. Feel much better after that game. Sadly preseason starts with worst possible opposition, so guess people will panic here
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,171

Post#64 » by Mr B » Tue Oct 5, 2021 5:31 am

Apz wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Except he can still move?:) I think the comparison is because they kinda look alike, eugene already looked more skilled But hard to say from 1 game. Im not ready to go as far as someone did and say he should start, but to me he should be in the top 10 rotation.

Looked like moses still got tons to learn. Even to just get to wcs level. Enthusiastic tho. But he get thd chance to shoot, airball. Wcs just drills that 3 like nothing. Guess it depends who u ask if its worth to try to develop him or better to stick with wcs. If raptofs take a moses powell burke package for dragic, just take it and worry later.

Personally, and i know it wont happen, i would just cut boban and terry, and change eugenes contract to full time. Preferably in combination with the raptors trade mentioned. Opens up 2 more rosterspots and always someone that want to pay a decent asset to dump a useful player into the tpe.

Also, dont see what issue someone had with sterling and reggie. Hit some shots, but that team really had a bad flow both when jalen and whoever the other guy were ran the point. Think it had a lot to do with 1st game together.

I got a feeling we will be fine. Feel much better after that game. Sadly preseason starts with worst possible opposition, so guess people will panic here

Yea I don’t expect Eugene to start but I think he will earn a spot in the rotation.

I remember WCS saying last season that he was working on his 3 point shot and was getting better but wasn’t comfortable enough to try it during a game. Is this the season we see him taking (and making) some 3’s?

I think one thing fans watching these scrimmages and pre season games have to remember that Kidd is learning about his team. He’s seeing first hand what each guy can do and trying to figure out his lineup and rotation. There are going to be some growing pains in the preseason until he figures that out. Once he does though the Mavs will be fine.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#65 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Oct 7, 2021 1:45 pm

Omoruyi is good (but 24yo rookie), need minutes...he Is NBA ready.
Remember me a little bit of Draymond Green...
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#66 » by DJ_3_Ball » Fri Oct 8, 2021 9:07 am

Moses Brown should be starting
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#67 » by ejs78 » Fri Oct 8, 2021 2:31 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:Moses Brown should be starting
Based off of what?

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Oct 8, 2021 2:45 pm

ejs78 wrote:
Based off of what?

Maybe because Powell, WCS and Boban are trash?
Darren
RealGM
And1: 839

Post#69 » by Darren » Fri Oct 8, 2021 3:17 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
ejs78 wrote:
Based off of what?

Boban is solid and consistent. I can't say the same about Powell and WCS.
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#70 » by ejs78 » Fri Oct 8, 2021 3:18 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
ejs78 wrote:
Based off of what?

Not saying any off them are great but what has Brown done to put himself above those guys? Can't blame Carlise for Powell starting anymore either as he might just be the best of a bad bunch

41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Oct 8, 2021 3:45 pm

I think Omoruyi(yes, he has played 0minutes in NBA. I know)-KP is the best duo but if Kidd want KP at 4 then Brown is the probably best available... At least he can't be worse than those 3.

Boban is a good guy, great teammate but he can't play unless particular situation... He can't guard a chair, 0 rim protector and average rebounder. You have to feed him every offensive possess.
Darren
RealGM

Post#72 » by Darren » Fri Oct 8, 2021 3:53 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:I think Omoruyi(yes, he has played 0minutes in NBA. I know)-KP is the best duo but if Kidd want KP at 4 then Brown is the probably best available... At least he can't be worse than those 3.

Boban is a good guy, great teammate but he can't play unless particular situation... He can't guard a chair, 0 rim protector and average rebounder. You have to feed him every offensive possess.

I think Moses has been so far so good. KP is still a prospect working in the process. KP can't guard either bulky big nor stretch 4 is continued struggle. So is the same problem Dirk once have: unable to score efficiently guarding by 6-7 players like Stephen Jackson and Jimmy Butler. KP has to overcome weakness significantly. KP has to be able to play one position at the very least. Right now, sadly, KP can't play either 4 or 5. That's problematic for the Mavs.
Darren
RealGM

Post#73 » by Darren » Fri Oct 8, 2021 3:57 pm

This game shows the same problem the Mavs experienced last season. Without DFS or Maxi, the whole Mavs team struggle even against a bunch of non-starters. I think Kidd is still a rookie when it comes to coaching. The Mavs bounces back because of Luka and Boban. But still, look at the players Jazz is starting. That's really bad to say the least. I think Seth Curry is right. The Mavs has to diversify the offense. But this doesn't come without growing paint. The 2nd unit is damn ineffective until Boban is inserted on the floor. Boban really changed the floor game significantly. And Boban did hit a pair of 3 pointers on both side. Boban clearly earns minutes from WCS and Powell at the very least. One of the overlooked point is actually Josh Green. Green has been solid as a passer with good court vision. What if Green's giving more chance to make play for 2nd unit?

The Mavs also has to help DFS and Maxi out. I think Moses, Green, Ntilikina and Eugene could help somewhat. There's something worth exploration.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#74 » by DJ_3_Ball » Fri Oct 8, 2021 6:52 pm

ejs78 wrote:
Based off of what?

If you start Powell, is he likely to become a better player by the end of the season with more minutes?

How would you rate Powell as a rim protector?

Is Powell any better as a perimeter defender than Moses Brown?

Does WCS or Boban rate anymore favorably in any of these areas?

How many 7 ft 2 in, 21 year olds do you know who averaged 9 rebounds per game last year?

Brown is a former McDonald's All American who averaged 9.7 ppg and 8.3 rpg at UCLA as a freshman. He averaged 1.9 bpg too which was 4th in the PAC-12.

This is a young kid with a long active body. Have you seen the dallasmavs' Instagram account? Some of the plays from practice. My God! Shades of a young, Marcus Camby.

Is Moses Brown ready to step in and dominate NBA bigs right away? No. If he was, the Mavs wouldn't have gotten him at the price they did. But if you can't see the potential in Moses Brown, I think you need to look again. He turns 22 next week. He's never been in a professional situation with an organization that believed in him. Mentored him, helped him grow, gave him a little time to see what he could become. I have no idea why Oklahoma City let him go. That was nuts. I think they'll live to rue the day.

I know Brown won't start. It'll go to Powell, and the Mavs will have a winning record and all of Powell's shortcomings will be excused. But, this Brown kid deserves more than just rolling out with the second unit for 5 minutes here or there. Only getting real minutes in garbage time. He deserves to see the floor in meaningful minutes. He needs to be in our 8-10 man rotation. If that happens, I genuinely believe he'll separate himself from Powell and the rest of the Mavs bigs.
Apz
Head Coach

Post#75 » by Apz » Fri Oct 8, 2021 9:37 pm

I still have hope that KP starts at the 5. I mean, Kidd is a professional, he need to be able to see that he cant play at the 4. I think he want kp at the 4 since we only got kleber there. Maybe if eugene shows a lot. Eugene is one damn beefy guy. Just the difference now to what he looked in the above draft night video shows he is going all in. Must have gained like 20 pounds of muscle in those months. I understand that he is a 24 yo rookie, but since he didnt start to play before highschool I dont see it as a negative. Also, that he is smart enough to know that there is no guarentees he will make it and finished school before making himself available in the draft is a big + to me. Getting someone with full college experience of basketball training will make him fit right in. I kinda really hope they dump terry and change eugenes contract to a full one. We got more use for him in mavs i think and what he could have learned in legends he should already been schooled in college. I i see the g league to be very helpful more for the one and done guys that dont have that much schooling
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,501

Post#76 » by fuller4379 » Fri Oct 8, 2021 9:49 pm

Luka and four spares.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#77 » by DJ_3_Ball » Fri Oct 8, 2021 10:04 pm

I think this would be interesting.

Luka
Ntilikina
Sterling Brown
Bullock
Moses Brown

That's actually a well above average defensive team. If Sterling Brown and Reggie Bullock are legit defenders, then we know Moses Brown can protect the rim and Ntilikina is an actual lockdown defender. We know Luka plays solid team defense.

On offense if Sterling Brown and Reggie Bullock are knock down shooters, and Ntilikina can hit an open shot, and Moses Brown can learn to rim roll & develop a little chemistry with Luka, then it works. Probably only because Luka can make any 4 players look good on offense.

I don't think this lineup should be the starting lineup, but it's a lineup I'd like to see get some time on the court together. Anytime the Mavs are giving up a ton of points, put this 5 on the floor and see if they can't slow them down.
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#78 » by ejs78 » Fri Oct 8, 2021 10:26 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
ejs78 wrote:
Based off of what?

If you start Powell, is he likely to become a better player by the end of the season with more minutes?

How would you rate Powell as a rim protector?

Is Powell any better as a perimeter defender than Moses Brown?

Does WCS or Boban rate anymore favorably in any of these areas?

How many 7 ft 2 in, 21 year olds do you know who averaged 9 rebounds per game last year?

Brown is a former McDonald's All American who averaged 9.7 ppg and 8.3 rpg at UCLA as a freshman. He averaged 1.9 bpg too which was 4th in the PAC-12.

This is a young kid with a long active body. Have you seen the dallasmavs' Instagram account? Some of the plays from practice. My God! Shades of a young, Marcus Camby.

Is Moses Brown ready to step in and dominate NBA bigs right away? No. If he was, the Mavs wouldn't have gotten him at the price they did. But if you can't see the potential in Moses Brown, I think you need to look again. He turns 22 next week. He's never been in a professional situation with an organization that believed in him. Mentored him, helped him grow, gave him a little time to see what he could become. I have no idea why Oklahoma City let him go. That was nuts. I think they'll live to rue the day.

I know Brown won't start. It'll go to Powell, and the Mavs will have a winning record and all of Powell's shortcomings will be excused. But, this Brown kid deserves more than just rolling out with the second unit for 5 minutes here or there. Only getting real minutes in garbage time. He deserves to see the floor in meaningful minutes. He needs to be in our 8-10 man rotation. If that happens, I genuinely believe he'll separate himself from Powell and the rest of the Mavs bigs.
He averaged those rebounds on a team trying to lose games and didn't care what he did on the floor. Also why would a young team like OKC dump such a young talented player on a cheap deal? Boston also felt no need for him. Really don't care what's on Instagram about any player. He could end up being a nice player, but I'm not rushing to start him until we see more when he's playing on a playoff team. We as Mavs fans like to over hype anyone new. Mavs twitter is calling Omoruyi Draymond Green like

DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#79 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sat Oct 9, 2021 7:17 am

ejs78 wrote:He averaged those rebounds on a team trying to lose games and didn't care what he did on the floor. Also why would a young team like OKC dump such a young talented player on a cheap deal? Boston also felt no need for him. Really don't care what's on Instagram about any player. He could end up being a nice player, but I'm not rushing to start him until we see more when he's playing on a playoff team. We as Mavs fans like to over hype anyone new. Mavs twitter is calling Omoruyi Draymond Green like

OKC gave away James Harden, so I'm not really looking to them for tips on how to run my team.

You can diminish having multiple 15+ reb games if you want to, but the fact remains that's a lot of rebounds & there aren't that many players doing it or capable of doing it no matter the circumstances.

If you put Dwight Powell on OKC last year and gave him those minutes, he's not having a 2 month stretch where he averages 12 rpg. Ain't happening. WCS wouldn't do it either. Boban could, but he can't handle that kinda workload and Boban doesn't defend well either.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#80 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Oct 9, 2021 7:28 am

I don't care about the starting lineup, i wanna see Omoruyi on the floor!!! OMG what a hype!!!

Return to Dallas Mavericks