ImageImageImage

If we're going to trade, trade for a SG!

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

If we're going to trade, trade for which position?

PG
8%
SG
79%
C
13%

Total votes: 24

jwa1107
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#61 » by jwa1107 » Mon Feb 4, 2008 10:57 pm

Sumisu wrote:Man, Childress really have NO shot at all...

Grizzlies- and Dirk-Fan here. Would you do this?

Hassell / Ager / George / 1st Round Pick
for
Miller / Jacobsen

why include Ager and Jacobsen?
Hassell+George+1st for Miller works in trade checker.
Adding Ager to MEM only adds payroll that keeping Jacobsen would not do.

I would do either but I think DAL and MEM would both prefer the 2-for-1 to the 3-for-2 (as do I)
mavsfoty
Sixth Man

Post#62 » by mavsfoty » Mon Feb 4, 2008 11:01 pm

I say we target Redd, Miller, or Vince.

Kidd should be a consideration but only if it is a steal of Gasol-like proportions.
Colombiano972
Sophomore

Post#63 » by Colombiano972 » Mon Feb 4, 2008 11:39 pm

Is Joe Johnson available?
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#64 » by JES12 » Mon Feb 4, 2008 11:48 pm

mavsfoty wrote:I say we target Redd, Miller, or Vince.

Kidd should be a consideration but only if it is a steal of Gasol-like proportions.
If we can get any of those 3, Maggette or Artest, without giving up any of our big 3, then we should definatly go for it.

And agree on the Kidd thing. If we can get Kidd in "Gasol-like proportions," then I would not be as hard pressed moving Harris back to SG. But if we do that, it would be criplling his PG career further and causing more critisism of people on this board saying he has been in the league X many rears and have only avge X amount of assists and will never be a real PG. I think he is proving he can be a top 10 PG right now.
celtspacers
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#65 » by celtspacers » Mon Feb 4, 2008 11:51 pm

Dallas needs a center more than anything else did you see the pistons game.
JES12
RealGM

Post#66 » by JES12 » Mon Feb 4, 2008 11:55 pm

celtspacers wrote:Dallas needs a center more than anything else did you see the pistons game.
Wrong! We need Harris back in the lineup. Did you see the 1st Mav-Piston game?
itsgotime
Junior
And1: 2

Post#67 » by itsgotime » Tue Feb 5, 2008 12:00 am

celtspacers wrote:Dallas needs a center more than anything else did you see the pistons game.

Damp does fine as a C, If Avery would play Diop and him exclusively at C then we have no problems at our C position. Our problem not having a Kirilenko type help defender. Dirk has been improving as that, but not what we need. I'm thinking Battier would be the perfect fit, but Hou might not be the best trading partner unless they feel they are getting more value back than we are willing to part with.

Our problems really start and end with Dirk on the defensive side. He's not good enough to do what we need him to do on defense. That is why we have so many unusual players that are hard to trade. Our team basically knows their role and because of that they are worth more to us than they are to other teams.
DDansby123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#68 » by DDansby123 » Tue Feb 5, 2008 2:48 am

itsgotime wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Damp does fine as a C, If Avery would play Diop and him exclusively at C then we have no problems at our C position.

And when would Bass play?

Our problems really start and end with Dirk on the defensive side. He's not good enough to do what we need him to do on defense. That is why we have so many unusual players that are hard to trade. Our team basically knows their role and because of that they are worth more to us than they are to other teams.

I think the defensive problems don't start and end with any one player. Hell, even our "good" defenders like Damp and Diop cause our defensive problems a lot of the time.
mavsfoty
Sixth Man

Post#69 » by mavsfoty » Tue Feb 5, 2008 5:23 am

Colombiano972 wrote:Is Joe Johnson available?

I wish. I think the Hawks asking price would be way too high. JJ is face of that franchise.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 857

Post#70 » by Darren » Tue Feb 5, 2008 10:10 am

scramm wrote:I'd rather have Jefferson than Vince Carter. He's younger and doesn't carry as much baggage.

But we're not giving up much for Carter. Stack, Faz, Hassell and a first.
That should be a no brainer, I believe.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want RJ at all. He doesn't seem playing with
any IQ. He would slash even if there're five opponents in front of him.
itsgotime
Junior

Post#71 » by itsgotime » Tue Feb 5, 2008 5:36 pm

DDansby123 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I think the defensive problems don't start and end with any one player. Hell, even our "good" defenders like Damp and Diop cause our defensive problems a lot of the time.

Having to play the best post player on the other team as well as needing to be the helpside defender is the cause to any problem we have with our defensive C's. Dirk tries to play helpside defense, he's just not good enough to do it. He also constantly gets switched off too easily on the opposing smalls and gets shown up (think Shawn Bradley, he may get the occasional block, but that's at the expense of multiple layups and dunks). That could be ok if we had a guy like Kirilenko who could help Dirk contain the small while the C can stay on his man.

Where does Bass play? You really want Bass playing as our C? Bass plays any minutes Dirk doesn't and also plays the 3 spot much more. When we play small ball teams Bass can be used at the C position in limited minutes, but I want us to play OUR game, not theirs!
DDansby123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by DDansby123 » Tue Feb 5, 2008 7:23 pm

Having to play the best post player on the other team as well as needing to be the helpside defender is the cause to any problem we have with our defensive C's. Dirk tries to play helpside defense, he's just not good enough to do it. He also constantly gets switched off too easily on the opposing smalls and gets shown up (think Shawn Bradley, he may get the occasional block, but that's at the expense of multiple layups and dunks). That could be ok if we had a guy like Kirilenko who could help Dirk contain the small while the C can stay on his man.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. I'm talking about how our Cs are too slow and immobile to defend, most noticeably, the pick-and-roll. Teams can, have, and will kill us in the playoffs with the pick-and-roll, unless Bass is in the game at the 5. Not ALL the time, but he definitely needs time at that position against most teams.
jwa1107
General Manager

Post#73 » by jwa1107 » Tue Feb 5, 2008 8:09 pm

and yet, historically, we've seen Damp and Diop do a good job defending TD, Yao, Gasol, or whomever in the playoffs. Amare was and always will be troublesome for these Cs but most of that is due to Nash running the p&r...
your_dallas_mavericks
Starter
And1: 5

Post#74 » by your_dallas_mavericks » Tue Feb 5, 2008 9:52 pm

Speaking of, the big tease will be happening soon when we see Nash and Dirk put on a clinic at the ASG doing the pick and roll... How I miss the Nashty one...
If we could just close games with Luka, Kyrie, Green, Maxi, and Wood that'd be great...
itsgotime
Junior

Post#75 » by itsgotime » Tue Feb 5, 2008 10:49 pm

DDansby123 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. I'm talking about how our Cs are too slow and immobile to defend, most noticeably, the pick-and-roll. Teams can, have, and will kill us in the playoffs with the pick-and-roll, unless Bass is in the game at the 5. Not ALL the time, but he definitely needs time at that position against most teams.

Diop is absolutely quick enough and has proven to be a decent C to defend the pick and roll. Damp brings things that make up for his inability to play the pick and roll. Our problem is not the C position on defense. We have had to stick with the skillset that Damp and Diop bring because we don't have a PF that can play defense the way we need him to. And while we have a good to great one on one defender in Josh, he is not the helpside defender we need to cover up Dirk's deficinecies.

Besides, have you not seen Devin's ability to break down a good pick and roll? He strikes fear in the eyes of anyone trying to make that kind of play. We need to figure out what our game is and play it. Figure out what our strengths are and play to them. We've seen glimpses of this during the year, but then Avery plays smallball along with smallball teams. Those teams are playing their way all season and we're switching our lineup and rotations to match what they are giving us.

Avery needs to stick with one way to play and then let the guys figure it out. Play your best lineups and rotations and quit being a hybrid team. Make them adjust to us, don't adjust to them. WE are the better team, not them!
DDansby123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by DDansby123 » Tue Feb 5, 2008 11:49 pm

Diop is absolutely quick enough and has proven to be a decent C to defend the pick and roll.

You're delusional. I quit reading after this.
DDansby123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by DDansby123 » Tue Feb 5, 2008 11:53 pm

jwa1107 wrote:and yet, historically, we've seen Damp and Diop do a good job defending TD, Yao, Gasol, or whomever in the playoffs. Amare was and always will be troublesome for these Cs but most of that is due to Nash running the p&r...

That's a different issue. If we want one-on-one defense in the post, obviously we'd prefer to go with Damp or Diop. If we want someone to defend the basket, those two are again the better options (even though they're inconsistent in this area). But if we're playing teams that play Cs who are more mobile than normal, are actually PFs, are quicker than average, or are perimeter-oriented, Bass it the better option without question. And if we're getting killed by the pick-and-roll, Bass again is the best choice.

My point was that we can't say, "it should be Damp and Diop at C and no one else!" That exposes our defense in a lot of matchups.
JES12
RealGM

Post#78 » by JES12 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 2:21 am

I see your reasoning DDAn, and I would have argeed with you til we lost game 1 in last years playoffs and got back on track when Diop manned the middle.

Repeat perfomance with Damp in Phoenix this year.

I'm sound on Damp/Diop consuming all 48 min in the middle.

But I will admit, Bass has done well in the GSW games this year.
jwa1107
General Manager

Post#79 » by jwa1107 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 4:45 pm

if Shaq does go to PHX how does that change the lineup defensively?
It adds Damp back into the mix for sure

Shaq
Amare
Hill
Bell
Nash

vs

Damp
Bass
Dirk
Howard
Harris

?
your_dallas_mavericks
Starter
And1: 5

Post#80 » by your_dallas_mavericks » Wed Feb 6, 2008 8:51 pm

Redd, Miller, Szczerbiak are the front runners at this point...
If we could just close games with Luka, Kyrie, Green, Maxi, and Wood that'd be great...

Return to Dallas Mavericks