ImageImageImage

Mavericks Offseason Trade/Free Agent/Draft Thread

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

DDansby123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#61 » by DDansby123 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:45 pm

dirtyfilthynasty wrote:Anybody doing a Dirk/Jet for Brand/Maggette trade now assuming that Brand is 100% back next season.

Kidd
Maggette
Howard
Brand
Dampier

That lineup is mighty interesting.

With a true PG, I'm absolutely more on board with it now than two years ago. Though there's still something about Brand and Maggette that I just don't like. For some reason, I just wouldn't be thrilled about trading Dirk for that duo.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#62 » by Pointguard01 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:47 pm

dirtyfilthynasty wrote:Do you disagree that Kidd/Wade/Marion/Bass/Dampier is a better lineup than what we have now?

I dont think that lineup goes anywhere.

I think if we trade Dirk, wemight as well rebuild. I see two options. Package up players and go get a legit #2 scoring option to put alongside Dirk. Or rebuild. Honestly, I dont know which one I perfer but things have got to change drastically with the players we have.
Henry Turner
Starter
And1: 99

Post#63 » by Henry Turner » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:18 pm

dirtyfilthynasty wrote:Would you guys do this trade?

Dirk
Josh

for

Marion
Wade

Probably.
I dislike both guys so it would affect my love for the mavs but it will make the team better and with more potential to improve.

DDansby123 wrote:Alternatively, I was considering Dirk and Stack for Richardson, Okafor, and Mohammed. That'd be an interesting lineup: Kidd-JRich-Howard-Okafor-Damp, with JET, Bass, and Mohammed off the bench, plus a FA. Not going to happen, but interesting.

This team would never make the POs unless we move to the eastern conf.
JRich and okafor are part of one of the weakest teams of the league, I don't see how they could be the main pieces of a champinship contender.
"I can promise to be sincere, but not to be impartial" Goethe
hiphop1
Lead Assistant
And1: 32

Post#64 » by hiphop1 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:10 pm

Boston Incoming
Josh Howard
Jerry Stackhouse
Eddie Jones

Dallas Incoming
Ray Allen
Free your mind and your a** will follow
Rand10
Starter
And1: 40

Post#65 » by Rand10 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:49 pm

DDansby123 wrote:Alternatively, I was considering Dirk and Stack for Richardson, Okafor, and Mohammed. That'd be an interesting lineup: Kidd-JRich-Howard-Okafor-Damp, with JET, Bass, and Mohammed off the bench, plus a FA. Not going to happen, but interesting.

I don't like that deal, but if Charlotte was looking to move Mohammed with Okafor's extension coming up, I think Stack+cash for Nazr would be great for us.

Mohammed can step out and hit a jump shot, so that should allow us to play him next to Bass. Dampier or Diop couldn't do that and we weren't very good when they were on the floor with Bass.
Rand10
Starter

Post#66 » by Rand10 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:50 pm

hiphop1 wrote:Boston Incoming
Josh Howard
Jerry Stackhouse
Eddie Jones

Dallas Incoming
Ray Allen

Terry can do most of what Allen does. No thanks.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#67 » by studcrackers » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:14 am

who would u guys like to get for a backup C this offseason? id like to go after francisco elson

1 reason is he guards dirk as good as anybody and i think he'd be a decent answer to athletic bigs
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Rand10
Starter

Post#68 » by Rand10 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:54 pm

studcrackers wrote:who would u guys like to get for a backup C this offseason? id like to go after francisco elson

1 reason is he guards dirk as good as anybody and i think he'd be a decent answer to athletic bigs

Elson would be nice. Some other options...

Kurt Thomas
Diop
Kwame Brown
Brian Skinner
Theo Ratliff (probably re-signs w/ Detroit)
Ozek
Junior
And1: 2

Post#69 » by Ozek » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:08 am

Any talk of trading in my view starts with what assets we have.

As far as I know all these people are gonna be free agents:

Lue - FREE AGENT / decent
Juwon - FREE AGENT / horrible
George - FREE AGENT / decent
Wright - FREE AGENT / ?
Barrea - FREE AGENT / sign him, great value
Magloire - FREE AGENT / horrible
Allen - FREE AGENT / ?

Stackhouse - What's his contract?

And do we actually have any draft picks before TEOTWAWKI (December 21, 2012) ?
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 960

Post#70 » by Captain_Obvious » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:33 am

Barea has little value, he is nothing better than a good throw-in.

And we have our first next season, cant trade the pick but the player when we pick.

Will be a tough off season, they should do the basic stuff first, no overreaction.

First - Fire Avery and the couching crowd
Second - Bring in Reyshawn Terry
Third - Resign players with some value to cheap contracts

There will be more teams retooling this offseason, they have to be ready at any time to pull the trigger when a good trade surfaces. They have to watch the rumours, at this point we need a steal, not a fair trade.
mavsfoty
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#71 » by mavsfoty » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:02 pm

Even if we do wake up and win this series I think Avery is replaced. Cuban will always do what he feels is right for this team and finding a coach that the players will respond to and that will utilize what he has is task #1.

Finding a consistent scoring option that plays to Kidd's strengths is item #2. *cough*ShawnMarion*cough*

#3 Rebuilding the bench. Remember when Dirk and Howard could sit and not worry about a lead completely dissapearing?

Consider me optimistic but if Boston can land KG and Ray Allen. Gasol can be given to the Lakers. Cuban can find a way to get someone in here to help Kidd and Dirk.

Targets
1. Redd
2. Marion
3. Childress
4. Diop
6. Maggette
7. Brand
Icke
Senior
And1: 0

Post#72 » by Icke » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:21 pm

dirtyfilthynasty wrote:Anybody doing a Dirk/Jet for Brand/Maggette trade now assuming that Brand is 100% back next season.

Kidd
Maggette
Howard
Brand
Dampier

That lineup is mighty interesting.

1. Who's the coach?

I repeatedly hear people saying Mavs don't get it done offensively. If Avrey can't get enough offense out of Kidd,Jet,Josh,Dirk,Damp, how can he get enough offense out of your team. I know you dream of shutting opponents down for 80PPG and you might be right, but championship teams still get it done offensively. Remember that Kidd lead a near league bottom offense in NJ. Avery doesn't seem to bring the best out in Kidd. He doesn't seem to trust Damp much in the playoffs. On top of that, if Josh stinks it up like he does currently, this team suddenly looks not so interesting.

2. Who is taking over in the clutch?

You say Jet is our best player in the clutch. I say it's Dirk. One of us might well be right. Who are we going to when we need to score. At least there's definitely noone on that lineup I'd double as the other teams coach.

3. Who is guarding the quick scoring guards who always kill us?

That team is better on defense than the current team obviously, but it's not the 3s and 4s and 5s that are killing us most of the time. I still don't really see the reason why we would beat Miami, GSW and NO.

All that said, you can throw out whatever and it would still probably look more intriguing than the current team. And I'm not even saying your 2 trades are that bad. The first one is completely unrealistic, though.

By the way, still think Dirk's the issue?
Ozek
Junior
And1: 2

Post#73 » by Ozek » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:30 pm

Captain_Obvious wrote:Barea has little value, he is nothing better than a good throw-in.

And we have our first next season, cant trade the pick but the player when we pick.

Sorry, I meant Barrea is a great value for us as a 3rd string PG and in terms of cost.

Seems like our assets are:

Dirk
Bass
2008-2009 1st round pick
JHo
Terry

I don't see Kidd or Dampier or anyone else as assets at all. Kidd maybe for contract expiration but still we'd get crap in return.

The only thing we could trade and expect to get *more* value for would be Bass, which would be just stupid in my view of the team's direction.

I'm thinking we could package Terry or JHo + rights to whoever we draft for something better. But trading JHo just means more Stackhouse, which is worse.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 960

Re: . 

Post#74 » by Captain_Obvious » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:20 pm

Ozek wrote:
Captain_Obvious wrote:Barea has little value, he is nothing better than a good throw-in.

Sorry, I meant Barrea is a great value for us as a 3rd string PG and in terms of cost.

Seems like our assets are:

Dirk
Bass
2008-2009 1st round pick
JHo
Terry

I don't see Kidd or Dampier or anyone else as assets at all. Kidd maybe for contract expiration but still we'd get crap in return.

The only thing we could trade and expect to get *more* value for would be Bass, which would be just stupid in my view of the team's direction.

I'm thinking we could package Terry or JHo + rights to whoever we draft for something better. But trading JHo just means more Stackhouse, which is worse.

I meant we have the pick, cant trade it yet but can trade the player after next season. So its not an asset now, but next year.

Our trade pieces are:
Eddie Jones (exp)
Stackhouse(2 mill guaranteed 09/10)
2nd Rounders
Josh Howard
Reyshawn Terry if he is beasting in the summer league
Bass isnt available IMO, Terry will stay a Mav because he has way more value for us than anybody else

Its really not much, thats why we have to wait until more players become available. The playoffs arent over, if Detroit gets outed by Philly, will they rebuild or retool just like we're planning to do? Before i trade Josh for Artest and a filler or Redd i rather play Josh here and let him up his value.
The biggest change will be the coaching change IMO, the new coach will tell us what players do fit in the new system and what players are done in Dallas. Dont expect too much before the end of the summer league.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 2,024

Post#75 » by arkuo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:40 am

anybody think we could have a chance at getting Joe Johnson from the hawks?
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,777

Post#76 » by HMFFL » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:52 am

arkuo wrote:anybody think we could have a chance at getting Joe Johnson from the hawks?

:rofl: No!

Dallas doesn't have enough value to acquire Joe Johnson, unless Dirk's moved, and that's not going to happen. At this point, I don't see many players on Dallas that will bring back much return, so we have a bloated team salary that includes a bunch of baggage.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 2,024

Post#77 » by arkuo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:18 am

another thought, now that larry brown gets the reigns in charlotte, by any chance would he be interested in a player like josh howard? defensive player who happens to come from north carolina?

maybe for j-rich or gerald wallace? i'd die from happiness if we got both...
Rand10
Starter

Post#78 » by Rand10 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:25 am

I'm not sure if we should re-build, but here's an idea. It would depend on the Nets getting the 2nd pick in the draft (only a 1.3% chance, I know)

Dallas trades: Dirk
New Jersey trades: Swift, Van Horn (cut him), Hassell, Sean Williams, 2nd pick (Derrick Rose), Dallas' 2010 1st

Expirings: Kidd, Jones, Swift
Core: Derrick Rose, Brandon Bass, Sean Williams, Antoine Wright (re-sign)
Trade/let expire: Terry, Howard, Dampier (probably stuck with him), Hassell

We get our future pg, our 2010 pick back, and KEITH VAN HORN. I would look for a dominant low post player in the next couple drafts, and then make sure we have max cap space in the 2010-2011 offseason to go after Lebron.

For New Jersey: This gives them a legit shot at competing for a title. Sign some bench depth and they're set.

Harris / Williams
Carter
Jefferson
Nowitzki / Kristic
Boone / Diop
JES12
RealGM
And1: 125

Post#79 » by JES12 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:27 am

I have no clue what language this is, but can anyone tell me what Romel Beck's stats are?

http://195.56.77.208/team/tbd.phtml?fro ... DO&type=d2
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,777

Post#80 » by HMFFL » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:33 am

arkuo wrote:another thought, now that larry brown gets the reigns in charlotte, by any chance would he be interested in a player like josh howard? defensive player who happens to come from north carolina?

maybe for j-rich or gerald wallace? i'd die from happiness if we got both...

I'd love to have Gerald Wallace but it's another trade that likely won't happen. The Bobcats will most likely want to keep the foundation players now that Larry Brown has been given the keys to the team.

While I'm a big Gerald Wallace fan, I don't exactly trust his health, so the last thing we need is to get locked into this 5 to 6 year contract.

I'm curious to see what type of money Emeka Okafor will receive after turning down 13 million during the offseason.

Return to Dallas Mavericks