Post#22 » by Lord Cuban » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:03 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/EarlKSneed/status/667024748522655744[/tweet]
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
aussiewill
Rookie
And1: 179

Dwight Powell 

Post#23 » by aussiewill » Sun Jul 3, 2016 2:29 am

According to the DMN, we are looking to bring him back, shouldn't be commanding too much money I'd have thought

At this moment, the Mavericks have just six players under contract. That could change quickly on Wednesday as restricted free agent Dwight Powell appears headed toward an agreement with the Mavericks on a new contract, a source said.

It’s unknown what the terms of a new deal would be, but given the marketplace, Powell could be in line for a deal starting in the $5 million range.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,858

Re: Dwight Powell 

Post#24 » by dirkules_41 » Sun Jul 3, 2016 8:16 am

Sign him already. One of the few players with hope.
asudevil
Analyst
And1: 689

Post#25 » by asudevil » Sun Jul 3, 2016 10:34 am

Honestly, $5mil seems like an extreme underpay with the contracts we've seen. I would not be surprised to see something in the $10-$12mil range per year. There are a few sun's fans who'd go 8 figures at him.....i for one would not based on the youth we already have up front. BUT, if we didnt have either Bender or Chriss i wouldnt be enraged if we went after him with a bunch of money.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,051

Post#26 » by Dirk » Sun Jul 3, 2016 10:48 am

He's not that young and his ceiling doesn't look very high, it l looks like he has various tools that could make him be a nice player, but he still hasn't quite put it together. His shot looks nice, but he's very inconsistent, defensively he gets pushed around too easily, just seems like the game is still too fast for him and he tries too hard if that's possible. Maybe with a place more settled in the rotation he'll improve steadily. He was on and off last year.

His energy is great though, he is one of my favorite players just for the passion he shows, whether he is playing or not, he is always hyped up. He looks like he is a hard worker. Re-signing him is a no brainier.

I would love to see the Mavs get him for this kind of deal: 4 years / $16 million. The more likely scenario is the 20-24M/4.

asudevil wrote:Honestly, $5mil seems like an extreme underpay with the contracts we've seen. I would not be surprised to see something in the $10-$12mil range per year. There are a few sun's fans who'd go 8 figures at him.....i for one would not based on the youth we already have up front. BUT, if we didnt have either Bender or Chriss i wouldnt be enraged if we went after him with a bunch of money.

Interesting... that sounds a bit optimistic, but who knows... still several teams with money to burn, it only takes one to believe in him. He is a RFA, so the Mavs would be able to match any offer.
60/21/10
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#27 » by Darren » Sun Jul 3, 2016 11:12 am

I heard it's an extension starts from 5M. I think it is perfectly okay. At least, Rick Carlisie has something to work on now.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#28 » by 2011Champs » Sun Jul 3, 2016 1:16 pm

Why not tie up Powell with a long term contract? Quit turning over the roster every damn year when you have a good young PF/C already right on your own roster. Give the guy 4yrs/30-40 million and keep him around. Stupid Dallas would be wanting to overpay to get someone like Powell if he was on another team. Cuban has a bad bad case of grass is greener on the other side syndrome always looking to change even when a really good young front court player is right on your own roster.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#29 » by Mr B » Sun Jul 3, 2016 5:29 pm

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:He's not that young and his ceiling doesn't look very high, it l looks like he has various tools that could make him be a nice player, but he still hasn't quite put it together. His shot looks nice, but he's very inconsistent, defensively he gets pushed around too easily, just seems like the game is still too fast for him and he tries too hard if that's possible. Maybe with a place more settled in the rotation he'll improve steadily. He was on and off last year.

His energy is great though, he is one of my favorite players just for the passion he shows, whether he is playing or not, he is always hyped up. He looks like he is a hard worker. Re-signing him is a no brainier.

I would love to see the Mavs get him for this kind of deal: 4 years / $16 million. The more likely scenario is the 20-24M/4.

asudevil wrote:Honestly, $5mil seems like an extreme underpay with the contracts we've seen. I would not be surprised to see something in the $10-$12mil range per year. There are a few sun's fans who'd go 8 figures at him.....i for one would not based on the youth we already have up front. BUT, if we didnt have either Bender or Chriss i wouldnt be enraged if we went after him with a bunch of money.

Interesting... that sounds a bit optimistic, but who knows... still several teams with money to burn, it only takes one to believe in him. He is a RFA, so the Mavs would be able to match any offer.

To me he's very much like Brandan Wright. Wright took about 3 years to groom before Carlisle started giving him heavy minutes. Powell has a higher BB IQ than Wright and is more athletic than Wright. If he is brought back I would expect Carlisle to trust him more and for him to get heavier minutes. He'll be going into his 3rd year and should also comeback physically stronger than he was last year. Everything I've read about him (and Anderson) is that he's an absolute gym rat and pretty much spends all his free time working on his game (instead of being out at the clubs). He may never be a franchise caliber player but he could develop into a quality starter at PF.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#30 » by Pinkyring » Sun Jul 3, 2016 6:31 pm

Uhhhh why do we want to pay him 5m a year, he barely plans and isnt good
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,858

Post#31 » by dirkules_41 » Sun Jul 3, 2016 7:34 pm

Pinkyring wrote:Uhhhh why do we want to pay him 5m a year, he barely plans and isnt good

Because that's a bargain in todays market.

Why do we have you, you barely post and aren't good? :lol:
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#32 » by Pinkyring » Sun Jul 3, 2016 11:17 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Uhhhh why do we want to pay him 5m a year, he barely plans and isnt good

Because that's a bargain in todays market.

Why do we have you, you barely post and aren't good? :lol:

Excellent and clever post, keep em coming
Baz
Rookie
And1: 1,573

Post#33 » by Baz » Mon Jul 4, 2016 12:58 am

5m per year is a bargain for someone like Powell. I love the guy. Get him back immediately.
Mavs2theFinals
Rookie
And1: 29

Post#34 » by Mavs2theFinals » Mon Jul 4, 2016 3:04 am

4 years 37 mil
Nowitness
General Manager
And1: 4,439

Post#35 » by Nowitness » Mon Jul 4, 2016 3:17 am

The way guys are getting paid, that's fine to get back your own guy. Would love to see him with a consistent jumper in preseason.
Nowitnessing a legend
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#36 » by Teffer10 » Mon Jul 4, 2016 3:26 am

Well since we are paying Powell well hopefully Rick will play him. I think he's worth it but not if there are numerous DNP-CDs. I'm guessing that he's working on his 3pt game which will be critical if he wants to get minutes as Dirk's backup.
2011Champs
General Manager

Post#37 » by 2011Champs » Mon Jul 4, 2016 3:31 am

2011Champs wrote:Why not tie up Powell with a long term contract? Quit turning over the roster every damn year when you have a good young PF/C already right on your own roster. Give the guy 4yrs/30-40 million and keep him around. Stupid Dallas would be wanting to overpay to get someone like Powell if he was on another team. Cuban has a bad bad case of grass is greener on the other side syndrome always looking to change even when a really good young front court player is right on your own roster.
I guess Cuban was listening to me lol.
aussiewill
Rookie
And1: 179

Post#38 » by aussiewill » Mon Jul 4, 2016 3:34 am

Not sure who we were bidding against, but even in this market it seems an overpay for someone unproven. There is some upside and I wanted him back as 9th or 10th man, but at that price!? Rumors are there is a no trade clause and player option included...

Goes to show Donnie is terrible with free agency.
2011Champs
General Manager

Post#39 » by 2011Champs » Mon Jul 4, 2016 3:41 am

aussiewill wrote:Not sure who we were bidding against, but even in this market it seems an overpay for someone unproven. There is some upside and I wanted him back as 9th or 10th man, but at that price!? Rumors are there is a no trade clause and player option included...

Goes to show Donnie is terrible with free agency.

In the 2016 free agent market, this deal is very good for a young big man. If Dallas didn't sign him for 4/37 some other team would have as soon as the bigger names are gone.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#40 » by Teffer10 » Mon Jul 4, 2016 3:46 am

2011Champs wrote:
2011Champs wrote:Why not tie up Powell with a long term contract? Quit turning over the roster every damn year when you have a good young PF/C already right on your own roster. Give the guy 4yrs/30-40 million and keep him around. Stupid Dallas would be wanting to overpay to get someone like Powell if he was on another team. Cuban has a bad bad case of grass is greener on the other side syndrome always looking to change even when a really good young front court player is right on your own roster.
I guess Cuban was listening to me lol.

I thought the same thing when I read that.
Now tell Cuban to sign Durant :)

Return to Dallas Mavericks