Dwight Powell, the Community Assist man

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Re: Dwight Powell 

Post#81 » by JamesConway » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:08 pm

Read on Twitter

Took him a long time, but at this point he's worth his money Imo and probably even offers decent value. I don't think Dwight on $9-10M/yr is worse than when we had BWright for $5-6M/yr back when the cap was much lower. You're not getting a lottery pick for him, but the days of viewing him as an albatross contract are gone tbh.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#82 » by arkuo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:33 pm

Nice turnaround from Powell. From being a throw-in included in the Rondo trade, to being a rotation guy in Dallas. The guy worked on his game and focused on his strengths. Can't fault him for that.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#83 » by 2011Champs » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:51 pm

Amazing what happens when you let a player play to their strengths and not try to make them something they are not
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#84 » by Pinkyring » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:18 pm

I dont think anyone disliked powell and the contract was just unnecessary, the problem is he was racking up dnps and i dont know why saying we didnt have 3 viable bigs
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#85 » by Darren » Mon Apr 9, 2018 9:09 am

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2531367/dwight-powell

Actually, he's ridiculously good this season. 15 PPG, 10 RPG on 60%-34%-70% per 36 mins. He's a lot better than expected. I think he's ahead of Kleber and Mejri in depth chart. From my observation, he plays much better defense and do not get push around easily by the end of this season. I think there's a big difference between his stats (at the first half of the season and at the second half of the season). He's demonstrated good passing instinct (not much angle but he finds moving targets to the paint) at the top of the key as well. He's vastly underrated. He's actually approaching Barnes' level. He's actually better than Bender of Pheonix. I think he can get better in free throw percentage as well as defensive states, though. He gets blocked away from often against certain matchup. He can actually be a starter if he continues to improve on perimeter jumper (to 40%). As of now, he's still a backup because he can only play C. I am still watching his efficiency from the perimeter. He's very good past few games. This drives up his stats a lot. It's still early to tell whether 3 pointer is part of his strengthes. He doesn't take much. People still dare him shoot from long range.

I don't think we've to priorize PF in draft. I'd rather pick a center or a swingman. I think Powell deserve his contract. Teams will rather have him than some center in free agency. I see him making 8-9M upon next contract. However, he's already 27-28 year's old. I don't see he gets better offer than he's now until he really makes a big jump in perimeter shooting. But think about it. Who's he compared to: Bagley considered all physical tools (skinny, quick step, able to handle), strengthes (play above the rim, create mismatch) and weaknesses (lack of strength, can't protect the rim, not shooting well consistently). But he's shown excellent work ethics and intelligence. I think I'd lane towards keeping him than drafting a PF.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,071

Post#86 » by Dirk » Mon Dec 3, 2018 5:16 pm

Apologise t Powell here. He has justified the money. And the great thing is... this is one of those guys you always root for both for being a great person and such a hard worker.
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

60/21/10
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#87 » by fuller4379 » Tue Dec 4, 2018 2:49 pm

He was overpaid in his contract, but had improved enough to justify the pay. Hard work has paid off for him. He is a perfect guy to come off the bench and provide a boost.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#88 » by dirkforpres » Tue Dec 4, 2018 4:01 pm

Dirk wrote:Apologise t Powell here. He has justified the money. And the great thing is... this is one of those guys you always root for both for being a great person and such a hard worker.

Thank the Lord he worked out here. That Rondo trade was a disaster but somehow he has emerged as the best player involved
FIRE JASON KIDD
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,039

Post#89 » by daoneandonly » Tue Dec 4, 2018 6:28 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
Dirk wrote:Apologise t Powell here. He has justified the money. And the great thing is... this is one of those guys you always root for both for being a great person and such a hard worker.

Thank the Lord he worked out here. That Rondo trade was a disaster but somehow he has emerged as the best player involved

I agree he's been a pleasant suprise, but think ur forgetting Crowder
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#90 » by dirkforpres » Tue Dec 4, 2018 6:46 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

I agree he's been a pleasant suprise, but think ur forgetting Crowder

No I remember him... I just think Powell is better
FIRE JASON KIDD
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,071

Re: Dwight Powell, the Community Assist man 

Post#91 » by Dirk » Thu Dec 5, 2019 12:21 pm

Use this opportunity to apologise to Dwight. Universally frowned upon to start this season.

He is now due to announce his retirement after this play
60/21/10
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 927

Post#92 » by Captain_Obvious » Thu Dec 5, 2019 3:49 pm

Powell was tremendous yesterday. Still suspect with his perimeter defense, but I can see why especially when Porzingis is off court.

I hope he didn't break his wrist though, he looked to be in a lot of pain :(
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#93 » by Imon » Fri Dec 6, 2019 8:30 pm

So, Dwight is putting up shots in practice - good news for the Mavs.

Read on Twitter
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#94 » by Imon » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:09 am

Wishing the best for Dwight in his recovery process.
Get right man, I know you'll come back strong.
Read on Twitter

Return to Dallas Mavericks