Dorian Finney-Smith

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Re: Dorian Finney-Smith 

Post#41 » by JamesConway » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:45 am

Read on Twitter

His play as of late has been a very pleasant surprise. I wonder where he'd end up in the draft if there were to be a re-do of it right now. Imo he has a strong case to make a roster spot in one of those rookie teams at the allstar-weekend. I've rarely seen a young player who understands the game the way he does it on both ends of the court. His jumpshoot is coming around nicely as of late, too.

FSSW had a pretty cool graphic on last night's broadcast showing that Dorian now has reached the status as the undrafted rookie to have earned the most starting appearances with us in Mavericks-history. Even ahead of Marquis back in '03-'04. Really impressive stuff from Dorian. He's making the most out of this opportunity right now.
Lord Cuban
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Post#42 » by Lord Cuban » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:08 pm

Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#43 » by SOUNDCHASER » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:46 pm

Definitely DFS is the big surprise of the UFA's. I wonder how many UFA's there were league wide? He may be in consideration for rookie honors. I am still holding out hope that Hammons is going to get some more burn. His 3 point shooting is surprising for a guy that big who is not getting much burn. I can only conclude that RC is trying to hide him till after the TDL so we do not get offered fools goldg and decide to trade him for a bag of magic beans.
Lord Cuban
Analyst

Post#44 » by Lord Cuban » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:52 pm

Read on Twitter
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#45 » by fuller4379 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:16 pm

Finney-Smith is starting to get some confidence now on offense. He has made a positive contribution 5 of the last 6 games.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,059

Post#46 » by Dirk » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:57 pm

JamesConway wrote:His play as of late has been a very pleasant surprise. I wonder where he'd end up in the draft if there were to be a re-do of it right now. Imo he has a strong case to make a roster spot in one of those rookie teams at the allstar-weekend. I've rarely seen a young player who understands the game the way he does it on both ends of the court. His jumpshoot is coming around nicely as of late, too.

FSSW had a pretty cool graphic on last night's broadcast showing that Dorian now has reached the status as the undrafted rookie to have earned the most starting appearances with us in Mavericks-history. Even ahead of Marquis back in '03-'04. Really impressive stuff from Dorian. He's making the most out of this opportunity right now.

Always complicated to make comparisons with other rookies because obviously the Mavs were bad enough to offer him a great opportunity, while other players are on better teams and have a harder time to get playing time. Marquis Daniels got those starts on a 50 win team. Still, we know that Carlisle wouldn't just give him 21 mpg if he wasn't producing. He has been consistent since that Bucks game and improving all the time.

We have our own late 1st round pick, Anderson and DFS has
"Defensively he's way ahead of the curve for a rookie," Carlisle said. "He's a guy who loves defense by nature. Young guys that love defense in this league aren't growing on trees. He really takes it personally when he gets beat defensively. It's a good lesson for young players that the defensive end can get you in games."

Considering that the rookie teams on all star weekends are USA vs World and 1st&2nd year players, it make it tougher for him to be on them but a rough look at who is competing with (11 spots?):

Towns
Booker
Turner
Russell
Ingram
Okafor

Frank Kaminsky
Jamal Murray
Josh Richardson
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
Malcolm Brogdon
Larry Nance Jr.

Maybe there are two or three other names with limited playing that may get consideration? Brown, Hield, Dunn.

Deron Williams won't be an agent in the future:

Read on Twitter

:lol:

fuller4379 wrote:Finney-Smith is starting to get some confidence now on offense. He has made a positive contribution 5 of the last 6 games.

The thing that really impresses is his composure. Basically from the first moment he has looked good on defense, always looked like he was playing with a lot of energy but poised, didn't have to gamble... he has now taken that to his offense - where he has made a couple of nice drives and looking like he is playing under control.
60/21/10
Lord Cuban
Analyst

Post#47 » by Lord Cuban » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:21 am

Dorian Finney-Smith is improving every game. Doe-Doe is real...

Even after scoring a season high in points, Dorian Finney-Smith wanted to talk about his defense.

The rookie had 17 points, leading six Dallas players in double figures as the Mavericks beat the Sacramento Kings 99-79 Sunday.

The Mavericks, who lost to Sacramento by 31 points at home 11 days ago, started fast. They made 11 of their first 15 shots and never trailed.

Later, some of his teammates teased him for passing up open shots.

“When I get a hand on a ball or a tip, it gets me going,” Finney-Smith said. “I try not to lose focus on what I bring to the table, and that’s defense. If I’m making shots, that’s a plus.”

From: http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/12/18/mavericks-dorian-finney-smiths-season-high-17-lead-mavs-past-kings-99-79/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Jinra
Starter
And1: 121

Post#48 » by Jinra » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:41 pm

Simply love this dudes game and attitude!!!
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA World Champions!!!
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,564

Post#49 » by jpengland » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:50 pm

I'm becoming a DFS believer.

I didn't think he had anywhere near the offensive game to really stick but as his confidence grows he looks a good cutter and his shooting form is pretty damn good.

If he keeps making smart cuts, gets his 3 ball to 36% and continues to not force things, h could be a fantastic role player. Wes Matthews is a great role model for him
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#50 » by Dirk » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:04 pm

Jinra wrote:Simply love this dudes game and attitude!!!

Yup, has great poise and knows what he's doing.
Gfycat Video - Click to Play
60/21/10
Covington_33
Junior
And1: 64

Post#51 » by Covington_33 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:16 am

What a pleasure to see him play and earn every $ of his "small" contract. I'm impressed with his defence, he knows what he is doing and it look likes he has been 5 years in the league. Playing with such passion, doing all the little things that you don't see on the stats.

Well done Dorian keep up the good work man thumbs up for this guy
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#52 » by The Sparest » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:29 pm

The fact Donny can find guys like this is the entire reason I defend his GMing skills. Hopefully, Trump will keep Cubes distracted,so Donny can do his job without "help".
AKA: Sparey Spareman
Jinra
Starter

Post#53 » by Jinra » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:45 pm

The Sparest wrote:The fact Donny can find guys like this is the entire reason I defend his GMing skills. Hopefully, Trump will keep Cubes distracted,so Donny can do his job without "help".

I can see why you say that, and I usually take my "Donnie stance" back into the shadows. But I am worn on him. I can't explain my stance, because Donnie is probably a top 5 GM in the league.

I digress.... :lol:
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#54 » by Dirk » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:50 pm

This guy... just continues to impress.

http://streamable.com/aoehl
60/21/10
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Post#55 » by Teffer10 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:43 pm

I'm wondering if the Mavs are shopping Anderson. DFS seems to be playing the role that was expected of Anderson so it makes me wonder if JA is expendable in the eyes of the FO. Brussino brings something different to the table so it would appear to me JA could be the odd man out.
Jinra
Starter

Post#56 » by Jinra » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:44 pm

Teffer10 wrote:I'm wondering if the Mavs are shopping Anderson. DFS seems to be playing the role that was expected of Anderson so it makes me wonder if JA is expendable in the eyes of the FO. Brussino brings something different to the table so it would appear to me JA could be the odd man out.

I personally hope so. I mean DFS just seems to be light years ahead of JA, and I don't know that he can catch up either.
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#57 » by bobsquad » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:45 am

Jinra wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:I'm wondering if the Mavs are shopping Anderson. DFS seems to be playing the role that was expected of Anderson so it makes me wonder if JA is expendable in the eyes of the FO. Brussino brings something different to the table so it would appear to me JA could be the odd man out.

I personally hope so. I mean DFS just seems to be light years ahead of JA, and I don't know that he can catch up either.

Agreed. JA clearly has the physical tools but if he can't shoot, and he can't handle the ball, and his defense isn't as strong as an undrafted rookie, then he's not going to find a role on this team. With his rebounding ability I'd say maybe we could use him like AFA, but he lacks Aminu's size.

Wonder if Detroit would swap him for Stanley Johnson, a similarly struggling sophomore. I think he'd be a good fit for SVG's system.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,019

Post#58 » by Mr B » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:09 am

I think it would be a mistake to give up on Anderson right now. It's only his second season. It took Jea Crowder about 3-4 years to become a solid role player. Anderson still has to ability/potential to be an elite wing defender. He definitely needs to work on his shot but again, he's only one in his second season. Give him time. It's not like this team is going to be challenging for a title anytime soon. They need as many young guys like Anderson (and DFS) as possible.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#59 » by 2011Champs » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:50 am

Anderson simply tries to do too much while Finney Smith plays within his abilities. Anderson will be a fine role player as he matures.
Torgeir Bryn
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Post#60 » by Torgeir Bryn » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:59 am

Mr B wrote:I think it would be a mistake to give up on Anderson right now. It's only his second season. It took Jea Crowder about 3-4 years to become a solid role player. Anderson still has to ability/potential to be an elite wing defender. He definitely needs to work on his shot but again, he's only one in his second season. Give him time. It's not like this team is going to be challenging for a title anytime soon. They need as many young guys like Anderson (and DFS) as possible.

He does remind me of Crowder a bit. Both in terms of his potensial and his struggles.
I don't think his trade value is high at the moment, but I could be wrong.

Return to Dallas Mavericks