ImageImageImage

Mavericks 2017 Draft #9

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Re: Mavericks 2017 Draft 

Post#541 » by Pinkyring » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:51 pm

My only hope at 9 is somebody takes markannan before our pick, we dont need a worse rebounding version of ryan anderson or a little better channing frye. Hopefully one of smith, monk, nkilila fall in our lap, i like all for different reasons. As for earlier comments, monk only has bust potential if u expect him to be a star, im perferctly ok with him being a super 6th man that can get 18-20 a night ala jason terry
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#542 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:48 am

Pinkyring wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:I'd much rather trade our 2018 pick (protected) for Bledsoe.

When we signed Barnes and Curry, found Yogi, Brussino and DFS and then traded for Noel, we put ourselves several years ahead of the rebuild from scratch process. If we add Bledsoe, draft well this year, and then find a somewhat decent FA, we are easily back in the POs next season with a chance to make some noise.

Starting from scratch right now doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering our current roster and the age of our core pieces.

Id rather not trade for bledsoe either but heres the problem, we dont really have any core pieces, the only guy on this roster that we have the choice to keep long term is noel, everybody else of any decent value can be gone in 2 years. Curry could be gone next summer which I'm okay with if its in the 20m a year range, then barnes could bolt the following summer if he's in the 30m range which im also okay with, we need to keep every pick we can to actually build a core long term with some control because this team still goes as dirk goes and thats a problem

If Barnes continues to play the way he did this year he won't be going anywhere, and he shouldn't be going anywhere.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#543 » by Pinkyring » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:40 am

Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:

When we signed Barnes and Curry, found Yogi, Brussino and DFS and then traded for Noel, we put ourselves several years ahead of the rebuild from scratch process. If we add Bledsoe, draft well this year, and then find a somewhat decent FA, we are easily back in the POs next season with a chance to make some noise.

Starting from scratch right now doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering our current roster and the age of our core pieces.

Id rather not trade for bledsoe either but heres the problem, we dont really have any core pieces, the only guy on this roster that we have the choice to keep long term is noel, everybody else of any decent value can be gone in 2 years. Curry could be gone next summer which I'm okay with if its in the 20m a year range, then barnes could bolt the following summer if he's in the 30m range which im also okay with, we need to keep every pick we can to actually build a core long term with some control because this team still goes as dirk goes and thats a problem

If Barnes continues to play the way he did this year he won't be going anywhere, and he shouldn't be going anywhere.

He scored better but that's all he brings, he gives nothing in the area of play making rebounding or defending, this team still goes as dirk goes so even if barnes becomes a 22 ppg guy, he still isn't a max player and if thats the nwxt price tag I'm perfectly ok with him leaving
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 832

Post#544 » by Teffer10 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:48 am

Pinkyring wrote:

We basically skipped rebuilding from scratch when we signed Barnes.
Curry, Yogi and the trade for Noel solidified the "semi-rebuild" strategy. Those 4 with a supporting cast of Dirk, Matthews, Barea, Mejri, Brussino and whomever we draft and sign in the off-season easily puts us in the 10-15 range again next season so if we continue down that path we'll be mediocre on the wrong side of the POs for God knows how long. That's why we might as well trade for a guy like Bledsoe to put us one more year ahead as soon as possible. That pick next year will most likely yield another role player which are easy to acquire through trades and FA.

Although I completely agree with what you are saying as far as us ever getting back to being a contender within the next half decade, the reality is that Cuban and Donnie would have to trade some or all of those guys to give us a legit shot at drafting a top 3 player.
And that would be after majorly sucking for several years.

The way I see it, there isn't a whole lot of difference drafting 10-15 vs. 16-22 in most drafts so if we are going to be mediocre then we might as well be in the POs every year.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#545 » by Teffer10 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:58 am

Mr B wrote:

I think if they had started the season with the same team they finished with they would have been a 7th or 6th seed this year. I'd be ok with trading the 2018 pick for Bledsoe but I'm not sure Phoenix would. If Bledsoe could stay healthy adding him would be similar to when the Mavs added Jadon Terry.

And we did the same thing with the trade for Nash. That trade catapulted us to something pretty special.
Now I'm not comparing Barnes/Curry to Dirk/Fin but we are in a similar situation with a better supporting cast this time.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#546 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:40 am

Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Id rather not trade for bledsoe either but heres the problem, we dont really have any core pieces, the only guy on this roster that we have the choice to keep long term is noel, everybody else of any decent value can be gone in 2 years. Curry could be gone next summer which I'm okay with if its in the 20m a year range, then barnes could bolt the following summer if he's in the 30m range which im also okay with, we need to keep every pick we can to actually build a core long term with some control because this team still goes as dirk goes and thats a problem

He scored better but that's all he brings, he gives nothing in the area of play making rebounding or defending, this team still goes as dirk goes so even if barnes becomes a 22 ppg guy, he still isn't a max player and if thats the nwxt price tag I'm perfectly ok with him leaving

So you'd rather be the Sixers?
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#547 » by Teffer10 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:10 am

Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Yeah, I want no part of a teenage core of misfits.
We have a nice young mid-20s core to work with. Obviously need several pieces but we have several options going forward to address those needs.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#548 » by Pinkyring » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:09 pm

Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:

No but i also dont want to commit 70 million a year to role players (barnes, noel, curry) but it really depends on where we are in two years, if we draft a stud that's cheap then we have a dak situation where u can overpay other guys short term because you're getting a steal, but if in 2 years, barnes is still the best player and he hasn't taken major strides (24 and 7.5) then i let him walk, no point of wasting a max on him, when dirk was hurt, we couldnt sniff wins, so if thats what the future looks like with barnes as tge best player then he's unnecessary
Jinra
Starter
And1: 121

Post#549 » by Jinra » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:50 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Barnes is a less than appealing rebounder for a 3-4, but he is a very good defender. That's going all the way back to his early days in Golden State. He is a very efficient and solid player and worth his contract.

If he were a free agent again this year, he would get another max deal from multiple teams. You might as well stop your crusade that we overpaid for him, because a max deal is just the reality for Harrison Barnes in this NBA.
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA World Champions!!!
Mr B
RealGM

Post#550 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:58 pm

Barnes reminds me of this generations Michael Finley.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#551 » by Pinkyring » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:26 pm

Jinra wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Barnes is a less than appealing rebounder for a 3-4, but he is a very good defender. That's going all the way back to his early days in Golden State. He is a very efficient and solid player and worth his contract.

If he were a free agent again this year, he would get another max deal from multiple teams. You might as well stop your crusade that we overpaid for him, because a max deal is just the reality for Harrison Barnes in this NBA.

I never said we overpaid for him, i said he is overpaid, and he is, a lot of guys get a max because thats their market not their value, thats the problem with the cap structure, barnes isnt an impact player for our situation, he doesnt make us better to warrant that contract, the comp to finley is perfect, guy would be an excellent 3rd guy on a contender, but paying a 3rd option first option money on a rebuilding team isnt a good idea
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,984

Post#552 » by daoneandonly » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:35 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Jinra wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:He scored better but that's all he brings, he gives nothing in the area of play making rebounding or defending, this team still goes as dirk goes so even if barnes becomes a 22 ppg guy, he still isn't a max player and if thats the nwxt price tag I'm perfectly ok with him leaving

I never said we overpaid for him, i said he is overpaid, and he is, a lot of guys get a max because thats their market not their value, thats the problem with the cap structure, barnes isnt an impact player for our situation, he doesnt make us better to warrant that contract, the comp to finley is perfect, guy would be an excellent 3rd guy on a contender, but paying a 3rd option first option money on a rebuilding team isnt a good idea

And yet you'd trade all the youth/assets we have for Carmelo Anthony and Dwight Howard, two guys who are clearly past their primes with unquestionable selfish/character issues, on way overpaid contracts.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#553 » by Pinkyring » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:49 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Jinra wrote:

And yet you'd trade all the youth/assets we have for Carmelo Anthony and Dwight Howard, two guys who are clearly past their primes with unquestionable selfish/character issues, on way overpaid contracts.

I dont know why i respond to you but im bored at work, yes i will trade noel, powell, and barea for 2 years of howard and melo to compete in dirks twilight, and if u dont think he'd have a much better team rolling out harris, matthews,barnes,melo,dwight, with dirk and seth coming off the bench, than that mess of a team we rolled out this year, u know less about basketball than i thought.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#554 » by daoneandonly » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:00 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:I never said we overpaid for him, i said he is overpaid, and he is, a lot of guys get a max because thats their market not their value, thats the problem with the cap structure, barnes isnt an impact player for our situation, he doesnt make us better to warrant that contract, the comp to finley is perfect, guy would be an excellent 3rd guy on a contender, but paying a 3rd option first option money on a rebuilding team isnt a good idea

I dont know why i respond to you but im bored at work, yes i will trade noel, powell, and barea for 2 years of howard and melo to compete in dirks twilight, and if u dont think he'd have a much better team rolling out harris, matthews,barnes,melo,dwight, with dirk and seth coming off the bench, than that mess of a team we rolled out this year, u know less about basketball than i thought.

And you are the only person that would trade Noel with spare parts for those two toxins, Howard has pissed off every team/fanbase he's been on, and Melo is Melo, so why don't we see if any mavs fans agree with you

Anyone?? My over/under is zero.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#555 » by Teffer10 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:34 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

And you are the only person that would trade Noel with spare parts for those two toxins, Howard has pissed off every team/fanbase he's been on, and Melo is Melo, so why don't we see if any mavs fans agree with you

Anyone?? My over/under is zero.

The Melo/Howard ships have sailed years ago.
The only good thing with rolling those two out with Barnes, Harris and Matthews would be the high #1 pick we'd have in 2018.
It would be Bogut/DWill all over again midway through the season and we'd have to comprise Curry in the process to hopefully make up for losing Noel.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#556 » by Pinkyring » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:50 pm

From the melo topic, seem half are in half are out and thats cool, is he a flawed player sure, but would anyone with a brain take him over powell and barea, obviously.

As for dwight, he is better than noel at pretty much everything and would upgrade this team, noel has shown nothing to deserve a max contract but some people are so fascinated with youth they dont care, again i understand, but if we keep this team next year we will again be the 10th seed, out the playoffs and not bad enough for a top pick. Seems mediocrity is acceptable for some posters and thats cool too
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#557 » by daoneandonly » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:56 pm

Except NY won't trade melo for Barea/Powell, or Matthews, two of the three should be shipped out if we're going to take on melo's contract, but that won't happen.

And Noel's potential far exceeds anything Howard will bring at this point in his career. I don't use the C word as it's a debilitating disease that has taken far too many lives, but I'll use the word poison to describe Dwight, because that's what he's been to so many teams. he'd essentially be Lamar, Rondo Part III. You don't trade a young big who plays his heart out on both ends for that.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#558 » by Clyde Frazier » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:40 pm

Frank Ntilikina kinda scares me. There's a lot of like about him (length/size at PG, ability to get out in the open floor, decent vision, decent range on his jumper), but 1 thing sticks out like a sore thumb: he looks a step slow as a playmaker in the half court. And not like andre miller slow where he makes it work, slow like he'd be pretty turnover prone. Doesn't seem like an experience thing, either.

I think best player available might be the way for the mavs to go, and just think long term development with whoever they draft.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#559 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:50 am

Pinkyring wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:I never said we overpaid for him, i said he is overpaid, and he is, a lot of guys get a max because thats their market not their value, thats the problem with the cap structure, barnes isnt an impact player for our situation, he doesnt make us better to warrant that contract, the comp to finley is perfect, guy would be an excellent 3rd guy on a contender, but paying a 3rd option first option money on a rebuilding team isnt a good idea

I think you're on an island when it comes to Melo and Dwight. You should ask Porzingis what he thinks about Melo. I want no part of either of those guys in this locker room. Honestly I seriously doubt Dirk does either. And I could guess that Carlisle DEFINITELY wants no part of Melo and Dwight being around his team.

I do think think that there is a chance that the Mavs could end up with Chris Paul though. If the Clippers lose in the 1st round, hell if they don't at very least get to the WC Finals there is a good chance they will blow that team up. Griffin isn't coming to Dallas but I have a feeling that Chris Paul could be talked into coming to Dallas. They may not even have to give up Noel (I wouldn't do it if it meant giving up Noel). If (Big if) he decided to play in Dallas it would be because of Dirk.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#560 » by 2011Champs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:09 pm

Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

I think you're on an island when it comes to Melo and Dwight. You should ask Porzingis what he thinks about Melo. I want no part of either of those guys in this locker room. Honestly I seriously doubt Dirk does either. And I could guess that Carlisle DEFINITELY wants no part of Melo and Dwight being around his team.

I do think think that there is a chance that the Mavs could end up with Chris Paul though. If the Clippers lose in the 1st round, hell if they don't at very least get to the WC Finals there is a good chance they will blow that team up. Griffin isn't coming to Dallas but I have a feeling that Chris Paul could be talked into coming to Dallas. They may not even have to give up Noel (I wouldn't do it if it meant giving up Noel). If (Big if) he decided to play in Dallas it would be because of Dirk.
I feel the opposite. I think there is no chance of Chris Paul to Dallas and just a very small slim chance Griffin would come to Dallas. 40 yr old Dirk, isn't a selling point to free agents. Top Free agents didn't even want to come play in Dallas with Dirk
In his prime

Return to Dallas Mavericks