Bleacher Report (JONATHAN WASSERMAN): Lauri Markkanen, PF, Arizona | Freshman
Bleacher Report (MIKE CHIARI): Dennis Smith Jr., PG, NC State | Freshman
NBADraft.Net: Lauri Markkanen, PF, Arizona | Freshman
Sports illustrated: Lauri Markkanen, PF, Arizona | Freshman
CBS Sports: Lauri Markkanen, PF, Arizona | Freshman
Tankathon: Frank Ntilikina, PG, France | 18
Mynbadraft.com: Frank Ntilikina, PG, France | 18

Thanks for compiling these!

Looks like people are thinking the same things. And if these are the options, its why I don't hate trading the pick for a young guy already in the NBA or even trading back a handful of picks to get another asset. Not excited about any of these guys.

Right now it's all speculation, and based on people's perceptions of the Mavs it's going to be a foreign guy. Kind of the way that people blindly mock no-name foreign guys to the Spurs, and then the Spurs go out and draft some different no-name foreign guy.

Despite what other people on this board think about them, I'm actually intrigued by Markkanen and Ntilikina... That's not to say I wouldn't rather have Isaac or Smith, but I do think either would do well here...

But for the record, I'm still very much on the 'trade the pick for Bledsoe' bandwagon
FIRE JASON KIDD
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,813

Re: Mavericks 2017 Draft 

Post#602 » by Texas Chuck » Sat May 6, 2017 5:43 pm

dirkforpres wrote:[That's not to say I wouldn't rather have Isaac or Smith, but I do think either would do well here...

I want Isaac, but I don't see any way he gets to Dallas. I don't think he gets past Minnesota.

I don't hate your Bledsoe idea, but I'd only do it if the Suns agreed to take the Powell contract back as part of the deal.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#603 » by bobsquad » Sat May 6, 2017 6:06 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:[That's not to say I wouldn't rather have Isaac or Smith, but I do think either would do well here...

I want Isaac, but I don't see any way he gets to Dallas. I don't think he gets past Minnesota.

I don't hate your Bledsoe idea, but I'd only do it if the Suns agreed to take the Powell contract back as part of the deal.

Isaac makes it to Dallas if there's an early run on the guards. 6 guards + Jackson + Tatum (or Markannen) = Isaac at #9. Not likely, but not impossible given how top-heavy the guard class is.
Devassa
Sixth Man
And1: 1,359

Post#604 » by Devassa » Sat May 6, 2017 6:21 pm

bobsquad wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Isaac makes it to Dallas if there's an early run on the guards. 6 guards + Jackson + Tatum (or Markannen) = Isaac at #9. Not likely, but not impossible given how top-heavy the guard class is.

I think Monk goes to Minnesota. They need shooters more than anything since Wiggins and Rubio are so hot and cold... New York (or Sacramento) would for sure take Isaac though if he fell to them though.

Trading Seth and a 2018 first (Unprotected) for New York's #7 or Minnesota's #6 pick seems like a pretty good trade for all parties
bobsquad
Rookie

Post#605 » by bobsquad » Sat May 6, 2017 7:53 pm

On the topic of Isaac, I've said it before but to reiterate: he looks like the perfect complement to Barnes. If Barnes is a 4 then we need a 3 who has length, can rebound, and can shoot off the catch, and that's a rare package.

Interviews and workouts will make the pick for us more than fit, as they should for lotto talent. But picking Isaac imo would be a vote of confidence for what RC wants to do with Barnes.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,019

Post#606 » by Mr B » Sat May 6, 2017 9:28 pm

bobsquad wrote:On the topic of Isaac, I've said it before but to reiterate: he looks like the perfect complement to Barnes. If Barnes is a 4 then we need a 3 who has length, can rebound, and can shoot off the catch, and that's a rare package.

Interviews and workouts will make the pick for us more than fit, as they should for lotto talent. But picking Isaac imo would be a vote of confidence for what RC wants to do with Barnes.

I think Barnes is more of a 3 than a 4. He can play 4 but I wouldn't want him playing there for long periods of time. I'd personally rather have Markkanen at the 4 and Barnes at the 3 (if they can't get a PG). That would give them a lot of length in the front court. Of if they do draft Isaac I would immediately look to move Barnes (and I don't think the want to do that).
bobsquad
Rookie

Post#607 » by bobsquad » Sat May 6, 2017 10:04 pm

Mr B wrote:
bobsquad wrote:On the topic of Isaac, I've said it before but to reiterate: he looks like the perfect complement to Barnes. If Barnes is a 4 then we need a 3 who has length, can rebound, and can shoot off the catch, and that's a rare package.

I think Barnes is more of a 3 than a 4. He can play 4 but I wouldn't want him playing there for long periods of time. I'd personally rather have Markkanen at the 4 and Barnes at the 3 (if they can't get a PG). That would give them a lot of length in the front court. Of if they do draft Isaac I would immediately look to move Barnes (and I don't think the want to do that).

Barnes is more of a 3 than a 4, but RC likes him at the 4, so he's a 4. While I could see us rolling with a starting lineup of Noel/Dirk/Barnes/Matthews/Curry to keep Dirk a starter, Dirk will take the first seat for Ferrell or Harris to come on the floor. Barnes is going to see his minutes at the 4 and Dirk at the 5 like this past season.

My main concern with Markkanen is that he isn't athletic enough to play the 4 in this league, but isn't a good enough rim protector or rebounder to play the 5. A Frank Kaminsky, a Donatas Motiejunas.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Post#608 » by Teffer10 » Sun May 7, 2017 3:42 am

bobsquad wrote:
My main concern with Markkanen is that he isn't athletic enough to play the 4 in this league, but isn't a good enough rim protector or rebounder to play the 5. A Frank Kaminsky, a Donatas Motiejunas.

Exactly....please no Markkanen.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#609 » by Darren » Sun May 7, 2017 2:57 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
bobsquad wrote:

Exactly....please no Markkanen.

I second that. After watching how Ryan Anderson being a liability on playoff floor, I am all for trading the pick for Bledsoe if we are left with Markkanen.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#610 » by Teffer10 » Sun May 7, 2017 11:31 pm

Devassa wrote:
Trading Seth and a 2018 first (Unprotected) for New York's #7 or Minnesota's #6 pick seems like a pretty good trade for all parties

I don't know how realistic a trade like that could be but it doesn't seem like a bad idea.
If we could somehow net Smith and Isaac we'd have one hell of a start to a rebuild process.
Smith/Wes/Isaac/Barnes/Noel would be a nice core going forward.
I'd sign McLemore, or trade for him, to eventually compete for Wes' role.

But I think NY would rather have one of the young PGs like Smith to pair with Porzingis and Minny would want someone like Smith as a future scoring piece to go with KAT and Wiggins.
HotrodBeaubois
Veteran
And1: 196

Post#611 » by HotrodBeaubois » Mon May 8, 2017 11:53 am

Devassa wrote:
bobsquad wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

I think Monk goes to Minnesota. They need shooters more than anything since Wiggins and Rubio are so hot and cold... New York (or Sacramento) would for sure take Isaac though if he fell to them though.

That's WAY too much to move up to 6-7 . Maybe 9 + 2018 1st but not both Curry and 2018 1st
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#612 » by Darren » Mon May 8, 2017 12:53 pm

HotrodBeaubois wrote:
Devassa wrote:
bobsquad wrote:Isaac makes it to Dallas if there's an early run on the guards. 6 guards + Jackson + Tatum (or Markannen) = Isaac at #9. Not likely, but not impossible given how top-heavy the guard class is.

That's WAY too much to move up to 6-7 . Maybe 9 + 2018 1st but not both Curry and 2018 1st

I won't do either. At least we should be compensated with a late first or early second in both cases.
Devassa
Sixth Man
And1: 1,359

Post#613 » by Devassa » Mon May 8, 2017 1:00 pm

HotrodBeaubois wrote:
Devassa wrote:
bobsquad wrote:Isaac makes it to Dallas if there's an early run on the guards. 6 guards + Jackson + Tatum (or Markannen) = Isaac at #9. Not likely, but not impossible given how top-heavy the guard class is.

I think it's more than fair. Dallas gets 2 talented rookies and New York gets an additional pick in 2018 to work with, plus Curry who is a good rotational player. Those of you who are on the 'don't pay Seth' train, this is about as good of a scenario there is for involving him IMO
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#614 » by Teffer10 » Mon May 8, 2017 6:10 pm

HotrodBeaubois wrote:
Devassa wrote:

I don't see it as giving up too much. We are trading Curry and next year's pick for a top 6-7 pick to go along with our current one giving us 2 lotto picks in a deep draft and almost assures us of landing a franchise PG in the process.

Obviously we'd have to hit on both picks to make it work out but I think that could be a fair deal.
Maybe 2018 top 3 protected.
HotrodBeaubois
Veteran

Post#615 » by HotrodBeaubois » Mon May 8, 2017 6:25 pm

Devassa wrote:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:
Devassa wrote:

I think it's more than fair. Dallas gets 2 talented rookies and New York gets an additional pick in 2018 to work with, plus Curry who is a good rotational player. Those of you who are on the 'don't pay Seth' train, this is about as good of a scenario there is for involving him IMO

Sorry I thought you were suggesting 2017 9th Pick + Curry + 2018 for 6 or 7 .

New York -While they should have the money to pay Curry up to the Max , I don't see how they would prefer Curry over the 7th Pick who they will have locked into a value contract for years to come . Not to mention the age difference . NY needs to blow it up and start stockpiling high picks not pay a 28 year old Curry $20 Million

Minnesota -Not sure they would even have the money to re-sign Curry in the 1st place . But again do they want a

28 year old Curry at $20 Million in 2018
Wiggins for Max or near max in 2018
Lavine also FA in 2018

Then the following year
Towns Max 2019
Jones FA in 2019

Curry doesn't strike me as the player that puts them over the top especially one they pay $20+ Million too and surely luxury Tax with all the rest of the players they have to pay . If I'm Minnesota I'm taking Issac or Markannen who fills a need for their team and who's locked into a value contract .

Now while I do value Curry and would want a 10-15 Pick back in a trade I don't think other teams would be willing to give that so Dallas is better off keeping Curry instead of the trash you could get for him . Then hope they can work out a reasonable deal with Curry or slightly overpay him and trade him later when all other 29 teams can trade for him .

Again Dallas is better off keeping Curry
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,462

Post#616 » by bwgood77 » Mon May 8, 2017 6:52 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
bobsquad wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
Thanks for compiling these!

Looks like people are thinking the same things. And if these are the options, its why I don't hate trading the pick for a young guy already in the NBA or even trading back a handful of picks to get another asset. Not excited about any of these guys.

Right now it's all speculation, and based on people's perceptions of the Mavs it's going to be a foreign guy. Kind of the way that people blindly mock no-name foreign guys to the Spurs, and then the Spurs go out and draft some different no-name foreign guy.

Despite what other people on this board think about them, I'm actually intrigued by Markkanen and Ntilikina... That's not to say I wouldn't rather have Isaac or Smith, but I do think either would do well here...

But for the record, I'm still very much on the 'trade the pick for Bledsoe' bandwagon

I don't know why so many people are low on Markkanen. A 7 foot freshman in college shooting 42.3% on 3s on high volume is pretty much unheard of. Shooting that high of a % is rare for anyone as a freshman. Fultz and Ball, the only two top prospects that shot over 40% other than Markkanen, didn't even shoot that well, both a tad over 41%. Monk was at 39.7%. Markkanen is the PERFECT guy next to Noel imo. If I was a Mavs fan I'd be really high on him. You can't really stop him from scoring, particularly on the perimeter. He has an elite skill that will allow him to play right away. The most important skill. If you can't shoot in the nba today (and hopefully with 3 pt range), you better be elite at something else, and I don't know that most of the other prospects can say that.

I love Isaac but I think his upside is mostly defense and he will likely be best as a PF. A pairing with Noel doesn't seem ideal at all. I do like Smith, because he's explosive, but he's not a great shooter and a terrible defender. I really like what I read about Ntilikina but just haven't seen him enough to know.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#617 » by Pinkyring » Mon May 8, 2017 7:05 pm

HotrodBeaubois wrote:
Devassa wrote:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:

New York -While they should have the money to pay Curry up to the Max , I don't see how they would prefer Curry over the 7th Pick who they will have locked into a value contract for years to come . Not to mention the age difference . NY needs to blow it up and start stockpiling high picks not pay a 28 year old Curry $20 Million

Minnesota -Not sure they would even have the money to re-sign Curry in the 1st place . But again do they want a

Lavine also FA in 2018

Then the following year
Towns Max 2019
Jones FA in 2019

Curry doesn't strike me as the player that puts them over the top especially one they pay $20+ Million too and surely luxury Tax with all the rest of the players they have to pay . If I'm Minnesota I'm taking Issac or Markannen who fills a need for their team and who's locked into a value contract .

Now while I do value Curry and would want a 10-15 Pick back in a trade I don't think other teams would be willing to give that so Dallas is better off keeping Curry instead of the trash you could get for him . Then hope they can work out a reasonable deal with Curry or slightly overpay him and trade him later when all other 29 teams can trade for him .

So ny should be trying to stock pile picks and not pay a 28 year old sg 20m per but we should? Goodness
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,019

Post#618 » by Mr B » Mon May 8, 2017 7:25 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
bobsquad wrote:Right now it's all speculation, and based on people's perceptions of the Mavs it's going to be a foreign guy. Kind of the way that people blindly mock no-name foreign guys to the Spurs, and then the Spurs go out and draft some different no-name foreign guy.

I don't know why so many people are low on Markkanen. A 7 foot freshman in college shooting 42.3% on 3s on high volume is pretty much unheard of. Shooting that high of a % is rare for anyone as a freshman. Fultz and Ball, the only two top prospects that shot over 40% other than Markkanen, didn't even shoot that well, both a tad over 41%. Monk was at 39.7%. Markkanen is the PERFECT guy next to Noel imo. If I was a Mavs fan I'd be really high on him. You can't really stop him from scoring, particularly on the perimeter.

I love Isaac but I think his upside is mostly defense and he will likely be best as a PF. A pairing with Noel doesn't seem ideal at all. I do like Smith, because he's explosive, but he's not a great shooter and a terrible defender. I really like what I read about Ntilikina but just haven't seen him enough to know.

The problem I have with Isaac is that he's so thin. He's going to have to guard SF's and PF's and right now I don't see how he'll be able to do that at all. It's going to take him 2-3 years to add on enough weight to be able to match up with the PF's in the NBA.
HotrodBeaubois
Veteran

Post#619 » by HotrodBeaubois » Mon May 8, 2017 7:36 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:
Devassa wrote:

Lavine also FA in 2018

Then the following year
Towns Max 2019
Jones FA in 2019

So ny should be trying to stock pile picks and not pay a 28 year old sg 20m per but we should? Goodness

We are a lot closer in our rebuild then they are ... And why would New York give up the 7th pick in a deep draft several players in that range have star potential for a player that they need possibly $20+ Million in cap space to re-sign when if they want him just sign him as a free agent ? I don't see NY or any team giving up a TOP 10 Hell probably even a Top 20 Pick for Curry with NO guarantee they can re-sign him ...No Bird Rights , No Early Bird Rights , No RFA matching Rights nothing .

Just curious how much would you pay for Curry ?
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#620 » by 2011Champs » Mon May 8, 2017 9:29 pm

One simple rule for the Mav's in the draft: Don't F It up!!

Return to Dallas Mavericks