ImageImageImage

Mavericks 2017 Off-season

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Re: Mavericks 2017 Off-season 

Post#1201 » by Darren » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:49 pm

I think Clavell can replace both Seth Curry and Devin Harris in a year. I see a lot of Lou Williams and Will Barton in him except the fact that he may be better defender among the three.
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#1202 » by JamesConway » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:40 pm

Read on Twitter

The Mavericks are leaning strongly toward signing guard Gian Clavell to their second two-way contract, president and general manager Donnie Nelson said.

The injury situation to Seth Curry, who will miss the start of the regular season as he will rest the stress reaction in his left tibia for at least another week, works in favor of Clavell, who has been impressive throughout training camp.(...)

"The possibility of Gian at that last two-way spot as a developing young player but also a guy who might be able to fill a need as Curry heals - based on the way things look today, that's looking like it could be a strong possibility," Nelson said after Sunday's practice. "We'll monitor things if there's a great difference-maker, we'll keep the option open. But we're really comfortable with Gian, who knows our system well." (...)

As for Clavell, a 6-4 product of Puerto Rico via Colorado State, Carlisle said that he's earned his right to be with the Mavericks, who cut three other roster hopefuls on Saturday.

"Clavell's here today, which is a pretty positive situation for him," he said. "I've been in his shoes. You got to live life day to day and every day you have to bring everything you can and keep working at getting better. I love the job he's done so far in camp. And there's a reason why he's survived to be here today. But it's a little like the Navy Seals used to say in basic training: Try to get to lunch. And when you get through lunch, try to get to dinner. And the next morning, you try to get to lunch again. I respect the heck of how hard he's gone."
Nowitness
General Manager
And1: 4,439

Post#1203 » by Nowitness » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:24 pm

Why are they thinking about it so much? This seems like a no-brainer, without knowing the financial consequences I would even cut McBob and give Gian a full NBA contract.
Nowitnessing a legend
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,687

Post#1204 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:12 pm

We've seen these types of guys look great when games don't matter before only for nothing to come of it. I mean was John Jenkins that long ago? I have no problem cutting one of the bigs to put him on the roster, but I'd ease up on the expectations.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#1205 » by Heezzi » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:15 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:We've seen these types of guys look great when games don't matter before only for nothing to come of it. I mean was John Jenkins that long ago? I have no problem cutting one of the bigs to put him on the roster, but I'd ease up on the expectations.

Not even John has shot like Clavell.
Chocolate Daddy
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#1206 » by Chocolate Daddy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:35 pm

Gian Clavell signed a 2-way deal today. Awesome news!

Read on Twitter
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#1207 » by 2011Champs » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:41 am

Now Mavs probably cut Withey or Mejri. I hate to see that as I really like them both for what they bring as a backup center. I'd lean towards keeping Withey as I believe he is the better rebounder and outside shooter. Withey is also a bit younger and probably can stay on the court longer than Mejri if need be.

Return to Dallas Mavericks