ImageImageImage

Mavericks 2017 Off-season

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Re: Mavericks 2017 Off-season 

Post#1041 » by 2011Champs » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:30 pm

SLATER wrote:Does Michael Beasley, Donatas Motiejunas or Thomas Robinson interest anyone on a 1 year at under 3 mil? Because I feel like that's where we're at with guys like this. As bad as Brandon Jennings was for the Wizards last year he's very likely worth more than the 1.5 mil he got from China. I would have preferred Jennings at 1.5 over Devin Harris at 4.4. The three guys I mentioned above have a chance to outperform their modest contracts. Beasley in particular was very efficient last year. He has bad rep but seems to have matured greatly in recent years...
Id be fine giving one of the three guys mentioned a shot. We could use some forward depth.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#1042 » by Darren » Tue Aug 1, 2017 12:21 am

Are we interested in Seraphin? He could be had for veteran minimum, I think. Not sure that he's much better than Thomas Robinson. But he can block shots.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 923

Post#1043 » by Captain_Obvious » Tue Aug 1, 2017 1:53 am

SLATER wrote:Does Michael Beasley, Donatas Motiejunas or Thomas Robinson interest anyone on a 1 year at under 3 mil? Because I feel like that's where we're at with guys like this. As bad as Brandon Jennings was for the Wizards last year he's very likely worth more than the 1.5 mil he got from China. I would have preferred Jennings at 1.5 over Devin Harris at 4.4. The three guys I mentioned above have a chance to outperform their modest contracts. Beasley in particular was very efficient last year. He has bad rep but seems to have matured greatly in recent years...

I'd be interested in Donatas for sure. He can stroke it from 3 and has some really nice low post moves. The real question with him is his health (short and longterm). I'm not sure if he is more of a center than PF. But he could work out. He was struggling to get minutes behind Cousins and Davis in NO.
Hadley
Junior
And1: 182

Post#1044 » by Hadley » Tue Aug 1, 2017 2:06 am

Didn't Motiejunas reject a **** 15M/Year Contract or something and then refuse to play ever again? That guy is just a **** asshat and should not be signed by any team!
SLATER
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#1045 » by SLATER » Tue Aug 1, 2017 2:35 am

by Hadley » 10 minutes ago

Didn't Motiejunas reject a **** 15M/Year Contract or something and then refuse to play ever again? That guy is just a **** asshat and should not be signed by any team!

Man, it was so bad... like one for the ages... a life changer of a deal for him missed. I think in his defense it was his agent, BJ Armstrong who really tried to play hardball with the Rockets and got STRAIGHT UP DESTROYED.

A quick refresher on what went down because I like D-Mo a lot and followed him early on in the mock draft boards just because of the inevitable Dirk comparisons.

• In 2016 as RFA he got a 4 year 37 mil offer from Nets.
• The Rockets match but only for 4 years and 35 mil. He can make up the extra in incentives.
• That doesn't sit well with DMo and he skips the physical at advice of agent.
• When he does get around to taking physical he fails it and Rockets have soured on situation and renounce him.
• Brooklyn waits in the wings but still can not sign him due to some bizarro rule in the CBA... they have to wait a year.

So he legit lost at least 30 MIL on this whole deal... just awful.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#1046 » by Mr B » Tue Aug 1, 2017 3:15 am

SLATER wrote:

Man, it was so bad... like one for the ages... a life changer of a deal for him missed. I think in his defense it was his agent, BJ Armstrong who really tried to play hardball with the Rockets and got STRAIGHT UP DESTROYED.

A quick refresher on what went down because I like D-Mo a lot and followed him early on in the mock draft boards just because of the inevitable Dirk comparisons.

• The Rockets match but only for 4 years and 35 mil. He can make up the extra in incentives.
• When he does get around to taking physical he fails it and Rockets have soured on situation and renounce him.
• Brooklyn waits in the wings but still can not sign him due to some bizarro rule in the CBA... they have to wait a year.

Reminds me of the Latrell Spreewell incident (contract incident not the choking his coach incident) several years ago when he turned down a huge deal from the Wolves because he said he wouldn't be able to feed his kids on what they were offering him. He never got an offer anywhere close to that Wolves offer the rest of his career.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#1047 » by arkuo » Tue Aug 1, 2017 3:29 am

Mr B wrote:
SLATER wrote:

Reminds me of the Latrell Spreewell incident (contract incident not the choking his coach incident) several years ago when he turned down a huge deal from the Wolves because he said he wouldn't be able to feed his kids on what they were offering him. He never got an offer anywhere close to that Wolves offer the rest of his career.

Mr. Noel should probably read up a bit on Mr. Sprewell. :lol:
2011Champs
General Manager

Post#1048 » by 2011Champs » Tue Aug 1, 2017 1:28 pm

Darren wrote:Are we interested in Seraphin? He could be had for veteran minimum, I think. Not sure that he's much better than Thomas Robinson. But he can block shots.
Im not very interested in Serphin but I'd like to try to get Diamond Stone to sign with the Texas Legends to see if he has potential.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#1049 » by Pinkyring » Tue Aug 1, 2017 6:06 pm

Id like beasley on a 4/12-16 he's a quality backup forward
Hadley
Junior
And1: 182

Post#1050 » by Hadley » Tue Aug 1, 2017 6:16 pm

We should not sign anyone over 23. Rather try out some younger Undrafted/D-League/International Players and hope you get lucky.
2011Champs
General Manager

Post#1051 » by 2011Champs » Tue Aug 1, 2017 6:23 pm

Hadley wrote:We should not sign anyone over 23. Rather try out some younger Undrafted/D-League/International Players and hope you get lucky.
Well I semi-agree with you however I think we should have some decent veterans also. If SmithJr is the real deal I want players good enough around him to help lead the team to a winning record. If we can find some affordable veteran guys in their mid-late twenties that can improve the team I'm all for it.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#1052 » by Teffer10 » Tue Aug 1, 2017 10:02 pm

2011Champs wrote:
Hadley wrote:We should not sign anyone over 23. Rather try out some younger Undrafted/D-League/International Players and hope you get lucky.
Well I semi-agree with you however I think we should have some decent veterans also. If SmithJr is the real deal I want players good enough around him to help lead the team to a winning record. If we can find some affordable veteran guys in their mid-late twenties that can improve the team I'm all for it.

I think we have a pretty good blend of vets and youth. Dirk, JJ, Wes, Harris, Barnes and Curry are more than enough vets to mentor our youth and help sell Carlisle's system and preserve the Mavs culture.

What we need to do is keep bringing in very young players until we find one that sticks. Yogi is a pretty good example and I'm sure we'll find another nice young player who can contribute and/or eventually become part of the main core.

I agree with Hadley that we shouldn't look at anyone over 23.....I'd probably be ok with only signing guys 25 and under unless they are proven super-stars still in their prime.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#1053 » by Pinkyring » Wed Aug 2, 2017 2:03 am

Shabazz Muhammad anyone?
Darren
RealGM

Post#1054 » by Darren » Wed Aug 2, 2017 8:17 am

Motiejunas may make sense. Mejri is coming off the book by the end of the season. Motie can be a replacement for that role on 2-year minimum contract. But his number makes me pause. He averages 11.3 PPG, 7.6 RPG, 2.4 APG, 1.4 SPG, 0.8 BPG per 36 minutes on 50.5% from 2P, 23.4% from 3P and 51.0% from FT. These number are not necessarily better than Dwight Powell. He can take on players with more bulks, though. At 25 and low risk contract, we may give him a look. Veteran minimum contract on 2-3 years' range is the most we could offer. At this stage of his career, he may go home and earn his paycheck if he doesn't believe he's the talent to play NBA games.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#1055 » by arkuo » Wed Aug 2, 2017 10:46 am

Lets say Noel takes the QO and decides to take his generational talents elsewhere next offseason for a max contract, how much capspace do we have if A) Noel leaves, B) Curry, Barea, Harris are off the books and C) if Dirk opts out again?

Enough for 2 max contract signings, Im guessing?
Darren
RealGM

Post#1056 » by Darren » Wed Aug 2, 2017 11:24 am

arkuo wrote:Lets say Noel takes the QO and decides to take his generational talents elsewhere next offseason for a max contract, how much capspace do we have if A) Noel leaves, B) Curry, Barea, Harris are off the books and C) if Dirk opts out again?

34M. We can have 1 max contract. But who's available to the Mavs? Not if the Mavs actually gets 2018 top-2 pick. It's up to Noel to decide. But money-wise, he's still wiser to re-sign for multiple years. If he's gone, he's gone. That means his heart is never here. It also means Noel would be a career loser who thrust for money. We're not very sorry if he takes QO. We don't need to overpay mediocity. Of course, it hurts. And we have loses a first (justin anderson) and two second round picks for a rental for 10 games. If he takes QO, I expect us to sit him a lot for wholehearted tanking. I am not surprised that he plays less than 10 games coming season. The reason is clear. We need a top-2 pick to reboot if he takes QO and run.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,904

Post#1057 » by Dirk » Wed Aug 2, 2017 11:28 am

arkuo wrote:Lets say Noel takes the QO and decides to take his generational talents elsewhere next offseason for a max contract, how much capspace do we have if A) Noel leaves, B) Curry, Barea, Harris are off the books and C) if Dirk opts out again?

No. Under that scenario you would have...

Projected salary cap: 102
------------------------------------------
Barnes 24.1
Matthews 18.6
Powell 9.6
DSJ 3.8
*Draft pick #9-10* 3.8
Ferrell 1.7 cap hold
Mejri 1.8 cap hold
DFS 1.5
Incomplete roster charge 840k x 4
------------------------------------------
Total: 68.5 | Cap space: 33.5
60/21/10
arkuo
General Manager

Post#1058 » by arkuo » Wed Aug 2, 2017 12:21 pm

Thanks for those figures Darren and Dirk!

At $34M Im guessing we're right on the money for Demarcus. A complete rebuild would mean we let go of Barnes and Seth, and trust Junior turns into Allen Iverson.

At this point, if I were Donnie I'd see what Brooklyn wants for D'Angelo Russell. He can play SG alongside Junior. Stats and percentages similar to Wes. But 10 years younger. Our 1 and 2 spot would be locked in for the next 10 years, at least.

The kid is better at playing off ball and attacks via secondary breaks. Plus he's a lefty. Considering he got thrown in that Mozgov deal I think he may come cheap. Can play PG while Junior cuts the lane. He's 6'5. Better than Carlisle playing Barea or Yogi at the 2 spot.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,032

Post#1059 » by daoneandonly » Wed Aug 2, 2017 2:53 pm

arkuo wrote:Thanks for those figures Darren and Dirk!

At $34M Im guessing we're right on the money for Demarcus. A complete rebuild would mean we let go of Barnes and Seth, and trust Junior turns into Allen Iverson.

At this point, if I were Donnie I'd see what Brooklyn wants for D'Angelo Russell. He can play SG alongside Junior. Stats and percentages similar to Wes. But 10 years younger. Our 1 and 2 spot would be locked in for the next 10 years, at least.

The kid is better at playing off ball and attacks via secondary breaks. Plus he's a lefty. Considering he got thrown in that Mozgov deal I think he may come cheap. Can play PG while Junior cuts the lane. He's 6'5. Better than Carlisle playing Barea or Yogi at the 2 spot.

They ate Mosgov's contract to get him, why would the Nets trade him already? All those things you mentioned about him are reasons they'll keep him.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#1060 » by Pinkyring » Wed Aug 2, 2017 2:57 pm

Id really just be cool with letting nerlens walk even if its a snt this summer if he cost more than 15m per, when u factor in health and attitude he really isnt worth the risk. If he walks we get wes to opt out and give him a 3/33 deal so he gets 15m more guaranteed and dump powell we have about 50m to soend next summer enough to pursue boogie and another high level free agent to pair with dsj and our draft pick

Return to Dallas Mavericks