Post#2 » by dirkforpres » Sat May 13, 2017 8:22 pm

What's the worst that could happen?
FIRE JASON KIDD
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Re: Mavs to sign Ding Yanyuhang, 23 year old Chinese swingman 

Post#3 » by JamesConway » Sat May 13, 2017 9:01 pm

At first Sefko reported that we're bringing in a different guy who is in his late 20s with lousy stats. But this one right here at least is only 23 years old and appears to have dominated the league over there (won the 'domestic' MVP-trophy, 20+ppg).

These clips here are actually pretty fun to watch:

If he's indeed 6'7 then I don't mind this given their track record of finding undrafted international players over the last 1-2 seasons (Mejri, Nico). He doesn't look like a terrible athlete/shooter/ballhandler at all. The competition is lousy over there, but if he's really that tall then I see little that speaks against giving him a shot in Summer League. Unlike pure PR-moves like Satnam or that 5'3 japanese guard Togashi (both even played for the Legends) Ding at least looks like a real basketball player on tape. I'm sure there is a business-side to this as well. I'm usually quite bitchy when it comes to roster moves like this, but these yt-clips got me a little.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 824

Post#4 » by Darren » Sat May 13, 2017 11:56 pm

I am not impressed by him as much as Jonathan Gibson. Quite unathletic and slow in NBA standard. We'll see if he can compete against strong and athletic player by pre-season.

By the way, it is quite bizarre that this guy have a 3-character first name unlike nearly all Chinese people. Is he really Chinese?
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,775

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 14, 2017 2:48 pm

To be clear the reports are the Mavs are considering signing him to a training camp deal with a Summer League invite. Very possible he doesn't make the team. Donnie was talking about him maybe getting one of the new 2-way roster spots where he would spend most of his time with the Legends.

And this is clearly about marketing, not on court. Mavs have wanted back into the Chinese market for a long time. Many of you remember Wang Zhi Zhi and how the Mavs promised the Chinese that he would honor all his commitments to the national team. And then he didn't because he wanted to focus on really sticking in the NBA. This made Dallas lose face and hurt. It's why we signed Yi several years back for a short run as well.

In other words, you can scout the guy, but its probably a waste of time.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 727

Post#6 » by RollingWave » Sun Jul 2, 2017 4:13 am

General take on Ding watching him in CBA.

There's a chance he can play in the NBA but certainly not the way he does for his CBA team (as a featured scorer.) it would be much closer to his team China role of a more pedestrian wing type player. but the good news is that he's generally done that a lot in his career and last year was more of the exception of the team just asking him to be the go to scorer out of neccesity.

But at the end of the day there's a huge lack in wings in the NBA in general right now so anyone that could remotely play that position with any credibility should be getting a serious look.

Wang Zhizhi was eons ago and that's a different thing than today. China in 2000 vs China in 2017 might as well be Germany 1938 vs Germany 1998 ( certainly the difference in economic perception is about the same. )

I really don't know because we haven't seen him play much against nba caliber guys to see if he can credibly stay with those type of guys (and team usa is a pretty bad extreme sample to take, even if he works out no one's expecting him to stop Lebron + KD front court. ) while being reasonably headsy on offense.

He's not like Zhou Qi where the physical tools intrigues you regardless anyway. there's some issues I take with him such as that he seem to not be able to jump off 1 feet all that well (most of his dunks are two feet gliding types. ) or that he's all that consistent of a shooter. if he makes it its because it turns out he can defend pretty well and shot develops..

As I said, there's a massive undersupply of 3-D type wing in the NBA right now, anyone that has even a slimmer of a chance to do that should be given a hard look, Ding has a bit of that chance.
The river of time wash away all heroes
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#7 » by Heezzi » Sun Jul 2, 2017 6:30 am

Looks better than Simba.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 824

Post#8 » by Darren » Sun Jul 2, 2017 6:51 am

Heezzi wrote:Looks better than Simba.

I disagree. I am not impressed with him after game 1. I don't think air-ball a 3 is something good to leave an impression. However, I think air-ball a free-throw is even more awful. Sorry, Christian Wood.
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#9 » by Heezzi » Sun Jul 2, 2017 7:26 am

Darren wrote:
Heezzi wrote:Looks better than Simba.

I disagree. I am not impressed with him after game 1. I don't think air-ball a 3 is something good to leave an impression. However, I think air-ball a free-throw is even more awful. Sorry, Christian Wood.

You're forgetting how many 3's Simba air balled... Then again, I wouldn't want to remember that either.
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 727

Post#10 » by RollingWave » Sun Jul 2, 2017 10:38 am

He was pretty bad game one, if he's going to try to be a gunner in the NBA as well that's going to end really badly. I'm fairly confident he's not going to be a great shooter, you'd just hope he develops into a more consistent one . his willingness to attacks helps but he needs to figure out what he can get away with .

It was interesting how they keep matching him up against different sized dudes, it seems they're interested in seeing how he can defend at a higher level and there was a few good moments and a few pretty bad once too.

( should be noted that summer league isn't THAT big of a jump for him given that some of the guys in this game like Dominique Jones were dudes he already faced off against in China anyway. )
The river of time wash away all heroes
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Post#11 » by Mr B » Mon Jul 3, 2017 2:35 pm

I didn't think he played bad at all. He was active and was one of 3 guys that I actually noticed out there. Considering it was the 1st game in the Orlando league, playing with a bunch a guys that aren't good enough to make the d-league, and with the language barrier I thought he showed good instincts. That's about all you can ask for at this point. Let's see how he does in Vegas. He does need to work on his jumper though. He needs to be consistent from the mid-range/out. He also showed a nice little take move (like Dirk does) when he was on defense and got a strip.
SaintofKillers
Assistant Coach
And1: 506

Post#12 » by SaintofKillers » Tue Jul 4, 2017 2:01 am

There should be a roster cap for signing players purely with marketing in mind. We already have Satnam for this crap.
Torgeir Bryn
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Post#13 » by Torgeir Bryn » Fri Jul 7, 2017 8:59 am

I like this guy! Not sure he has the necessary skill level to be an NBA rotation player, he seemed a little out of control at times. But he played with energy and was not afraid to sacrifice his body, dived for loose balls and got to the free throw line a lot.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#14 » by SOUNDCHASER » Fri Jul 7, 2017 12:43 pm

This guys name is the best part of his game.
Suka Bongcic
Senior
And1: 105

Post#15 » by Suka Bongcic » Sat Jul 8, 2017 3:24 am

SOUNDCHASER wrote:This guys name is the best part of his game.

If LeBron James' name was Ding, his name would be the best of his game too. It's just that great of a name
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,775

Post#16 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Jul 8, 2017 4:34 pm

SaintofKillers wrote:There should be a roster cap for signing players purely with marketing in mind. We already have Satnam for this crap.

We actually have the Legends for this and its not impacting the big club at all so its really a non-issue.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Kobeallday
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#17 » by Kobeallday » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:53 am

Ding is balling in the summer league, doing all the dirty work to win games, hit a couple threes here and there, players like him can be great off the bench.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Post#18 » by Mr B » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:30 am

Kobeallday wrote:Ding is balling in the summer league, doing all the dirty work to win games, hit a couple threes here and there, players like him can be great off the bench.

He kind of reminds me of Eduardo Najera.
CoachJimCarrey
Sophomore
And1: 63

Post#19 » by CoachJimCarrey » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:37 pm

All aboard the Ding Train!!!

Return to Dallas Mavericks